Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
Belsk
United States
Joined 4864 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 7
21 March 2011 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
I am interesting in learning a Native American language mostly from the point of view of being able to read material that was written by Native Americans before and during colonization. I'm not really sure how prolific written literature was versus oral storytelling and what if anything has survived to the present day. Are there any languages which have a deep literary history and collection or perhaps an oral history that has been transcribed?

Edited by Belsk on 21 March 2011 at 5:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5748 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 2 of 7
21 March 2011 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Hi Belsk,

I believe you are unlikely to find much in the way of recorded pre-contact North
American native written material. There was quite a bit of work done in the 19th
century by missionaries following European contact developing written systems (often
abugidas) for existing aboriginal languages, which largely had a mostly oral tradition
to that point in history.

I have only a superficial understanding here, mostly based from a Canadian perspective,
so there may be more to this.

Edited by Spanky on 21 March 2011 at 7:26am

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5064 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 3 of 7
22 March 2011 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
This might be what you're looking for http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/society/A0859891.html
Its very unfourtunate that Literature from the North America natives in a native script is non existent : (

Edited by CaucusWolf on 22 March 2011 at 4:25am

Belsk
United States
Joined 4864 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes

Message 4 of 7
22 March 2011 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to both of you for your responses. That is truly unfortunate, but doing more research I have found a few interesting possibilities. As Spanky said there seems to be a number of adapted writing system after contact with Europeans, some of which use the Latin alphabet and at least one other (Cherokee), although probably more, that uses a unique alphabet. To what extent to oral tradition of any given language or tribe has been recorded is still unclear to me and will require some more research to see. On another related note I just realized that my academic adviser does work with local Native American languages translating documents. Hopeful I might be able to get some recommendations and information.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5748 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 5 of 7
22 March 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
It is a fascinating area if you continue to be interested.   You may be interested in
checking out the written systems developed for Cree and Inuktituk, as well as the
history of the early missionaries/amateur linguists in developing the systems and
interacting in what was a wild new horizon for language exploration for Europeans in
the post-contact period.

The issue you raise of the recording of previous oral tradition is a current legal
issue in Canada, as a number of current and recent Aboriginal rights and title cases
are based in large part on attempting to re-establish aboriginal customs and practices
at and prior to first European contact: in part this is sought to be established
through some of the early European documents (diaries of the explorers, traders, early
government officials, and also early trading logs of companies like the Hudson Bay
Company), but in large part through efforts to admit into court oral tradition evidence
- current versions of past oral traditions, oral history and story-telling that is
alleged to be reliable because of the importance different First Nations may have
placed on accuracy in story-telling.

Edited by Spanky on 22 March 2011 at 5:17pm

Wakablogger
United States
livinglanguages.word
Joined 4787 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes

Message 6 of 7
23 March 2011 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
There isn't a lot of writing before the Europeans arrived, but see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_script for
one example in Mesoamerica.

To give two examples of post-contact written languages in the United States, the Cherokees and Hawaiians both
had newspapers at one time, and my recollection is that their literacy rates in the nineteenth century exceeded
90 percent. Recently, Cherokee became famous for its iPhone app and Hawaiian because two native speakers of
Hawaiian just graduated with PhDs in Hawaiian studies.

Many, many NA languages have written materials. On my bookshelf, I have _Lushootseed Texts: An Introduction
to Puget Salish Narrative Aesthetics_ edited by Crisca Bierwert. It is a side-by-side translation in English and
Lushootseed--a dream book. There is also a Lushootseed dictionary available--I think Vi Hilbert was one of the
authors/editors.

IMHO, the Pimsleur method is best for learning languages. The only NA language I see on their list
(http://www.pimsleur.com/List-of-Languages) is Ojibwe, though they told me that they have other tribes
interested. You can rent their CDs through the mail or purchase the courses outright.

I try to provide resources on endangered languages on my blog as well, though there is so much happening, I
can only post a fraction of the news.

HTH
Wakablogger
http://livinglanguages.wordpress.com
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4922 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 7 of 7
23 March 2011 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
Wakablogger wrote:

IMHO, the Pimsleur method is best for learning languages. The only NA language I see on their list
(http://www.pimsleur.com/List-of-Languages) is Ojibwe, though they told me that they have other tribes
interested. You can rent their CDs through the mail or purchase the courses outright.

I found a forum not so long ago where someone transcribed each Pimsleur Ojibwe lesson, then provided his own grammar and cultural notes with each lesson.

I'm currently going through them. I don't have access to the audio and I'm unwilling to spend the money on the course right now, but probably will spring for it later.

It's not really part of my goal for this year, but I'm doing it at a pretty relaxed pace, so it's not getting in the way of my other language goals. It's a good course, and quickly gets you into how the language is constructed and useed.

R.
==

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version