India and China

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
Voltman
Australia
Joined 4883 days ago

39 posts - 44 votes

Message 1 of 5
22 March 2011 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
Is English more widely spoken in China or India?

What does everyone think?

And also, generally speaking are there more Hindi speakers or Mandarin speakers in the world? Which language does everyone think is more useful for a person to learn?
1 person has voted this message useful

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5217 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 5
22 March 2011 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
I always understood that there were very many at least second language speakers of
English in India, certainly more than China.

I'll pass on the usefulness question, since I'm sure others here will give you the 'learn
what you like' speech.

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4801 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 3 of 5
22 March 2011 at 8:20am | IP Logged 

--English is more widely spoken in India due to the fact that it had been a colony of the British for a long time.
--There are more Chinese speakers in the world as there are more Chinese than Indians.
--Generally speaking, Chinese is considered far more useful to learn than an Indian language(Hindi, Tamil, etc). There are more people learning Chinese throughout the world, and those numbers are increasing rapidly nowadays.

Voltman
Australia
Joined 4883 days ago

39 posts - 44 votes

Message 4 of 5
22 March 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
futurianus wrote:

--English is more widely spoken in India due to the fact that it had been a colony of the British for a long time.
--There are more Chinese speakers in the world as there are more Chinese than Indians.
--Generally speaking, Chinese is considered far more useful to learn than an Indian language(Hindi, Tamil, etc). There are more people learning Chinese throughout the world, and those numbers are increasing rapidly nowadays.

How come you're studying Hindi?

futurianus
Korea, South
starlightonclou
Joined 4801 days ago

125 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: Korean*

Message 5 of 5
22 March 2011 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Voltman wrote:
futurianus wrote:

How come you're studying Hindi?

Some years ago, I had travelled several places in India and was very much impressed by its people and culture.
I have a great interest and respect for Indian civilization and would like to increase my understanding of it through learning Hindi.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version