Super polyglot congress?

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
53 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>
artemidora
Super Polyglot
Spain
Joined 4778 days ago

27 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Catalan, Hindi, Russian, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Greek, Japanese, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian, Swahili, Persian, Ancient Egyptian, Romansh, Tatar, Sanskrit, Lithuanian, Kazakh, Basque, Hawaiian, Arabic (classical), Finnish, Czech, Turkish, Indonesian

Message 1 of 53
24 March 2011 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
hello, i'm new to the forum.
I wonder if there has been any formal congress of super polyglots or any informal meeting.
it would be nice to discuss with other super polyglots about, for example, founding some kind of university studies to attain super polyglottery... or another foundation to interact with talented or gifted children's associations and see if some of them want to become super polyglots... or lead a formal linguistic study together with some university on how does our super polyglot brains work.

of course, ther e are some issues to be easily discussed here at the forum, like: do we all super polyglots like and "cultivate" classical music? Is it connected? i sometimes guess it has to be related somehow.
1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6650 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 2 of 53
24 March 2011 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Wow, I would love to go to that university!

Sounds like the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey, California, but without the military requirements.

This thread might better belong in the Polyglots section though.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5738 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 53
24 March 2011 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
artemidora wrote:
... or lead a formal linguistic study together with some university
on how does our super polyglot brains work.

I am only a frustrated uniglot, so I cannot assist with the study, except to point out
for what it may be worth my observation that the polyglots who have remained regular
posters on this forum successfully avoid exhibiting any elitism or bragging.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 53
24 March 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
I doubt that it will be feasible to make formalized institutions for polyglots - for several reasons. We are too scattered, we don't study the same languages (and if we do so, then not at the same level), we don't use the same methods and many of us prefer to study on our own.

The only real meeting place is the internet, i.e. forums like this, Youtube, informal contacts through skype and contact through the private blogs that some polyglots have. Even congresses would be difficult to organize (or exploit): we have have threads where members tried to organize meet-ups as fringe arrangements at some of the ordinary congressses and commercial forums in different cities - but even these will only be attended by a few persons with more than a couple of languages.

So instead of spending time on lofty plans for places where personal, physical presence is required we should concentrate on using those digital communication channels more efficiently.

I'm personally heavily into intrumental classical music, but not nearly as actively as I was until the late 90s where I not only played several instrumnets, but also composed music. Now it is only a passive hobby, and I doubt that there is a connection between this and my interest in languages.   

Edited by Iversen on 25 March 2011 at 12:56pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

artemidora
Super Polyglot
Spain
Joined 4778 days ago

27 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Catalan, Hindi, Russian, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Greek, Japanese, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian, Swahili, Persian, Ancient Egyptian, Romansh, Tatar, Sanskrit, Lithuanian, Kazakh, Basque, Hawaiian, Arabic (classical), Finnish, Czech, Turkish, Indonesian

Message 5 of 53
24 March 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
well, thank you for your points of view.

i should say i was not aware that i sounded elitist or as if i was bragging or anything, i'm not very sure about how to avoid that. in my family i am sorrounded by polyglots and my friends from Linguistics at university sound like me... please forgive me, i don't know your personal view on things, i guess we are used to different social or intellectual spheres. and surely different countries and different native languages. it's easy to be misread and mis understood on such premises... if you knew me personally, you'll see how sweet and delicate i am with all creatures.

yes, er, i see i didn't notice the polyglot thread is better, i'll go there. thanks

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5738 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 6 of 53
24 March 2011 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi artemidori,

No offense was intended, and I just meant it as a general comment.   I've beeen on the forum for almost three years now during which time I have seen a few jump on board the forum, brag about their accomplishments, position themselves as highly gifted or specially hard-wired or some such, and then get run off the forum by the masses waiving pitchforks, so it was just a cautionary note.   

Edited by Spanky on 25 March 2011 at 1:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

rafaelrbp
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6795 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 7 of 53
24 March 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
A Polyglot College was a dream idealized by Professor Arguelles in some old threads here in the forum (in a complete offline topic: why isn't he active anymore?).

I would really like to see a congress directed to polyglots or people aiming at becoming one. There are hobbies with a lot less enthusiasts that get more attention than polyglotism. Why is that so?

And welcome to the forum, artemidora. I hope we can hear about your methods of studying, motivation and so on.
2 persons have voted this message useful

artemidora
Super Polyglot
Spain
Joined 4778 days ago

27 posts - 39 votes

Message 8 of 53
27 March 2011 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
i have been thinking about my "methods" for studying. I sincerely think i don't have any special one. i just sit and read, do the exercises on the books, sometimes write down again the exercises that i liked. i kind of automatically remember words and grammar, so i don't use any memory technique. i think it has to do with my power of concentration. i read aloud. i watch movies and listen to music. my achievement in learning any language depends a lot on the quality of the book i am using. and if i practice with old books, that's the language i learn. it happened to me with swedish, i first learn it with a teach yourself edition from the fifties, so i learnt a rather old fashioned and elegant variant of swedish. many years later i bought the swedish assimil books and went through them, but i still use an old fashioned swedish.

should i post a different thread about my non-existent method of studying?

Edited by artemidora on 27 March 2011 at 1:30pm

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version