Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 25 of 53
31 March 2011 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Hei Artemidora,

Så spennende at du er flytende i alle de skandinaviske språkene, det er ganske sjeldent. Kan du fortelle litt om hvor du har lært dem og hvordan du kom til å interessere deg for dem? Jeg er virkelig imponert,for spanjoler flest er jo ikke så interessert i språk.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 53
31 March 2011 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Hei Artemidora,

Så spennende at du er flytende i alle de skandinaviske språkene, det er ganske sjeldent. Kan du fortelle litt om hvor du har lært dem og hvordan du kom til å interessere deg for dem? Jeg er virkelig imponert,for spanjoler flest er jo ikke så interessert i språk.

Hi Solfrid Cristina,

I am very proud that I can understand your Norvegian fluently (so all my Danish study has had some effect!), but the rule of the "Polyglot Room" is that everything has to be written in English here. This is also important for artemidora to know.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 31 March 2011 at 1:33pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 53
31 March 2011 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Oh, I am sorry Fasulye, I forgot about that one! Will try not to let it happen again.

Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5876 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 28 of 53
31 March 2011 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
artemidora wrote:
hello, i'm new to the forum.
I wonder if there has been any formal congress of super polyglots or any informal meeting.
it would be nice to discuss with other super polyglots about, for example, founding some kind of university studies to attain super polyglottery... or another foundation to interact with talented or gifted children's associations and see if some of them want to become super polyglots... or lead a formal linguistic study together with some university on how does our super polyglot brains work.

of course, ther e are some issues to be easily discussed here at the forum, like: do we all super polyglots like and "cultivate" classical music? Is it connected? i sometimes guess it has to be related somehow.

I believe there have been European polyglot competitions in the past. Indeed there was a Flemish polyglot I recall winning it. However, I have not heard of any such competition in recent years. This, I imagine, would have been an opportunity for polyglot to meet. That said, the aim of the game was to be the best polyglot.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, Professor Arguelles was hoping to establish an institution to allow people to study multiple languages in a polyglot environment. Whilst this does sound like a lovely notion on a forum where we discuss languages, in the wider world I imagine it would a tough thing to establish and maintain. It would also require some fairly detailed and focused thought on what is to be achieved.

Meeting polyglots is something some of us in the online community strive for. I have met with three members of this forum in person (poliglotta80, splog and ronp). I have also had Skype chats with others, including Fasulye, Rob_Austria, Vlad and Amir. Polyglot-skyping is quite a rewarding way to interact with other polyglots. I am always happy to speak to other people wishing to communicate in multiple languages.

I am aware of a polyglot cafe in Paris, where language enthusiasts meet each week to practice a wide array of languages. If you are London-based, it may be worth a short trip. Otherwise, I leave open the option to contact me via Skype. I may also be able to manage a trip to London in July, but I cannot promise anything as my plans are still in the air at the moment.    

[Minor edit to add in Robert from Austria in my Skype contacts]
[Minor edit to add in link to polyglot cafe in Paris and Skype homepage]

Edited by Torbyrne on 31 March 2011 at 11:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

artemidora
Super Polyglot
Spain
Joined 4777 days ago

27 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Catalan, Hindi, Russian, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Greek, Japanese, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian, Swahili, Persian, Ancient Egyptian, Romansh, Tatar, Sanskrit, Lithuanian, Kazakh, Basque, Hawaiian, Arabic (classical), Finnish, Czech, Turkish, Indonesian

Message 29 of 53
31 March 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
oh, thanks for all the ideas.

Solfrid Cristin, takk, men we have to write in English, i'll answer you back in the scandinavisk thread. Strangely, yes, in Spain there aren't so many language lovers...

Er.. no, i'm not London centered, that will only be during the summer, and it's only a plan, that can be very easily altered, it's just because i have to make some research about moghul India. I ususally spend summers around Oslo and Bohuslän. Paris is always nearer and easier for me. Thanx for the information, but, what polyglot cafe is that? do you remember its name? I imagine all the assimilites going crazy together. Polyglots of the world, soyedinyaites'!

Please, please, explain to me what is Skype. It's only in this forum that I have heard of it. Maybe it has to do with some new i-pad or something that I don`t use. I confess I live mostly in the XXIst century B.C., contemporary to Amenofis and Amenemhat, very ecological indeed...;-), no nuclear threats nor anything, very slow way of life.

Edited by artemidora on 31 March 2011 at 10:42pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 53
31 March 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Apart from Fasulye and I, who will participate in the Esperanto congress in Copenhagen in July? Such events could be used for multilingual extracurricular activities ..

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 53
01 April 2011 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
I see that artemidora speaks so many languages - but not Esperanto!

But I would like to answer artemidora's question about Skype:

Skype is a software which you have to download and install on your desktop. With Skype you can telephone with people in the whole world for free, if you have an internet flatrate. Also conference calls are possible with 3 or more people talking alltogether.

What do you need for Skype? You have to buy a headset because you have to speak into a microphone. I have heard lately that Skype can also be used on some moblile phones.

Have a look at the website of Skype:

www.Skype.com

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 April 2011 at 1:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6649 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 32 of 53
01 April 2011 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
I'd go if I were in Europe, but alas, I was just told I wasn't selected for a position in Germany I had applied for. Next time, Esperanto conference, next time!

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version