5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 53
01 April 2011 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
I'd go if I were in Europe, but alas, I was just told I wasn't selected for a position in Germany I had applied for. Next time, Esperanto conference, next time!

Tio estas malbonsxanco! = That's bad luck!

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6653 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 34 of 53
01 April 2011 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
Dankon...Jes mi scias, sed certe mi trovos ion, pli baldaux espere, anstataux malbaldaux!

Thanks...Yes I know...but certainly I'll find something, sooner rather than later hopefully!

By the way, I was also tickled that I could understand the Norwegian. :-D

Edited by Journeyer on 01 April 2011 at 7:23am

artemidora
Super Polyglot
Spain
Joined 4781 days ago

27 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Catalan, Hindi, Russian, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Greek, Japanese, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian, Swahili, Persian, Ancient Egyptian, Romansh, Tatar, Sanskrit, Lithuanian, Kazakh, Basque, Hawaiian, Arabic (classical), Finnish, Czech, Turkish, Indonesian

Message 35 of 53
02 April 2011 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I am not going to answer anymore to a thread that I have started but where people write in Esperanto.
Please, have the delicacy not to write in Esperanto in my thread. Haven't you ever heard that there are linguists and polyglots who are horrified by this artificial language? When there are so many BEAUTIFUL languages out there in the real world.
And please, have the delicacy not to praise or explain to me what is Esperanto, I know well enough what it is, why it has been created and everything; and I have my own opinion about it: it's not a matter of lack of knowledge, but of an intellectual and aesthetical choice.

Edited by artemidora on 02 April 2011 at 12:28am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 36 of 53
02 April 2011 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
artemidora wrote:
I am not going to answer anymore to a thread that I have started
but where people write in Esperanto.
Please, have the delicacy not to write in Esperanto in my thread. Haven't you ever
heard that there are linguists and polyglots who are horrified by this artificial
language? When there are so many BEAUTIFUL languages out there in the real world.

I am beyond sad to see this kind of narrow-minded attitude from a polyglot. I
personally do not like the sounds of Danish or Polish, but I would never forbid anyone
to speak these languages. Taste is subjective, hence I do not impose my taste upon
others. I even help out people who want to learn it, because I believe that the resolve
to study hard is worthy of our approbation and support, no matter what subject a person
wants to study.

Bedaŭrinde mi ne venos al la UK sed ja al la IJK. Ĉu eblas renkonti forumanon tie? =
Unfortunately I'm not coming to the univeral congress but I will come to the
international youth congress. Is it possible to meet a forum member there?
15 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4915 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 37 of 53
02 April 2011 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

I am beyond sad to see this kind of narrow-minded attitude from a polyglot. I
personally do not like the sounds of Danish or Polish, but I would never forbid anyone
to speak these languages. Taste is subjective, hence I do not impose my taste upon
others.

Tastes and attitudes notwithstanding, I think the forum rules stipulate that we should be writing in English. Although I don't know the official stance on bilingual writing - something that has, for the most part, been done in this thread.

R.
==

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6653 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 

Message 38 of 53
02 April 2011 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I am not certain, but I was under the impression that bilingual writing was not exactly breaking the rules, so long as one of those languages was English, as pertains to the rules of the forum.

As for whether or not Esperanto should be discussed, well, I think it's a thread open to the public. Your choice is respected, but what languages people learn is their business and if someone wants to ask something about amongst polyglots (especially if it were in a Congress), I think they have that right, too. That said, maybe this topic should not be brought up due to creating a potential pro/con Esperanto shooting gallery.

Edited by Journeyer on 02 April 2011 at 2:04am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4915 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 39 of 53
02 April 2011 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
I am not certain, but I was under the impression that bilingual writing was not exactly breaking the rules, so long as one of those languages was English, as pertains to the rules of the forum.

As for whether or not Esperanto should be discussed, well, I think it's a thread open to the public. Your choice is respected, but what languages people learn is their business and if someone wants to ask something about amongst polyglots (especially if it were in a Congress), I think they have that right, too. That said, maybe this topic should not be brought up due to creating a potential pro/con Esperanto shooting gallery.

Oh I don't think anyone has any problem with Esperanto being discussed, except artemidora.

And really, she was asking about a "congress" for polyglots - something that an Esperanto conference would provide,from what I understand.

R.
==
4 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6653 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 

Message 40 of 53
02 April 2011 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Agreed. The message was mostly to her. If you ask for polyglots, be prepared to hear a variety of different languages and hear different perspectives. That's the nature of our colorful and exciting and diverse language world. :-)

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version