Joined 5908 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 41 of 53
02 April 2011 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I am beyond sad to see this kind of narrow-minded attitude from a polyglot.

I agree. Esperanto is certainly not my cup of tea either but I would fight for the right of others to freely write it anyhwere on the forum (as long as English translation is given as required).

chacun à son goût!

To each his own!
6 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5742 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 42 of 53
02 April 2011 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I am beyond sad to see this kind of narrow-minded attitude from a
polyglot.

If I could vote for this ten times instead of just once, I would.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5633 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 53
02 April 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Artemidora, this thread is about polyglots meeting each other at a formal congress or at an informal meeting. You asked about what Skype is and I gave you a (hopefully sufficient) info about Skype with a link.

We moderators can inform about the rules, so I can tell you that in "English only" threads it is allowed to write in another language combined with a translation in English. Writing in another language than English WITHOUT translation is not allowed.

I like all my languages equally very much, so I am very flexible which language to use, so I will not write bilingually anymore but in English only in this thread.

But let me give you one advice, if you like to discriminate a language, you will get problems in this forum. I have experienced so much language discrimiation in my life that I can deal with it, but there will always be somebody else who feels insulted.

So let's get back on topic again here and speak about poyglots meeting polyglots in a congress or at another more informal meeting.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 April 2011 at 9:16am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5633 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 53
02 April 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

I am beyond sad to see this kind of narrow-minded attitude from a polyglot. I
personally do not like the sounds of Danish or Polish, but I would never forbid anyone
to speak these languages. Taste is subjective, hence I do not impose my taste upon
others.

Tastes and attitudes notwithstanding, I think the forum rules stipulate that we should be writing in English. Although I don't know the official stance on bilingual writing - something that has, for the most part, been done in this thread.

R.
==

Rick, writing in another language together with a translation in English provided in "English only" threads is allowed because this "English only" rule is a means to faciltiate moderation.

But I will not do this anymore in this thread about "Polyglot Congress".

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 April 2011 at 9:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5633 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 53
02 April 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
So, Sprachprofi, you will not come to the "Universala Kongreso". I regularly have a look on the list of participants at UEA, so I can see who wants to come.

I never take part in Esperanto youth meetings, because I am beyond the "youth age".

But as said before, you are welcome to have a private polyglot meeting with me, if it fits into your travel schedule. I just wait and see, if you will contact me.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 April 2011 at 10:15am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6489 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 53
02 April 2011 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
I mentioned the Esperanto congress because it is an event where polyglots might conceivably turn up (even if it isn't the primary purpose of that event). I did not try to convince anybody to learn that language. The event could also have been an international book fair or some other arrangement of interest for language learners.

However it must be stressed that even those comments that were formulated in Esperanto (with a translation) kept strictly to the neutral question of attendance or non-attendance. In hindsight it would probably have been better to stick to English in those comments (in order not to provoke the Esperanto haters), but no rule was broken.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5633 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 47 of 53
03 April 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
It's a pity that "Frankfurter Buchmesse" is so far away from where I live, as I think this would also be a perfect meeting place for language learners and polyglots.

Fasulye

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 48 of 53
05 April 2011 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Language festivals are the obvious place to meet up. Language fairs are good, too, that's
why I organized two meet-ups around the Expolingua language fair in Berlin already and
may be doing so again when it comes around in November.

Also, it is quite likely I will be going to the language festival in Cheboksary this
autumn, assuming that my Russian will be good enough by then. I'm learning Russian in
time for the IJK in Ukraine, though I won't really need it there. The language festival
would be the real test. Is anyone else considering going? Cheboksary is in the Chuvash
republic.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 05 April 2011 at 10:25pm

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version