United States
Joined 6488 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 49 of 53
06 April 2011 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
Wow, I would love to go to that university!

Sounds like the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey, California, but without the military requirements.

I know this is somewhat off topic, but it doesn't sound much like DLI, because most people at DLI had never studied a language before, and are only there for their one language. Don't idealize it that way, because its goals are something else.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 50 of 53
06 April 2011 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Language festivals are the obvious place to meet up. Language fairs are good, too, that's
why I organized two meet-ups around the Expolingua language fair in Berlin already and
may be doing so again when it comes around in November.

Also, it is quite likely I will be going to the language festival in Cheboksary this
autumn, assuming that my Russian will be good enough by then. I'm learning Russian in
time for the IJK in Ukraine, though I won't really need it there. The language festival
would be the real test. Is anyone else considering going? Cheboksary is in the Chuvash
republic.

Do you have more details as to time and programme?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 51 of 53
06 April 2011 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
The Expolingua Berlin is a
lot more commercial than a language festival, there are lots of language schools, study
abroad programs, language course creators etc. presenting themselves. However, it's
also possible to participate in mini language courses similar to those of a language
festival (except for half of them having a commercial slant) or lectures on various
topics related to language-learning.

The Language Festival in Cheboksary.
Right now the "Take Part" page hasn't been translated to English yet, but you can read
it in Russian, Chuvash or Esperanto. Same for the "Program" page. Basically, they will
organize an "international caravan" of foreigners presenting their languages in various
schools of the area from October 14th through the 22nd, then the actual language
festival is on the weekend of the 23rd/24th of October. There are 3 language
presentation sessions on the 23rd, followed by a theatre play, and 4 on the 24th,
followed by a concert. What's particularly nice about this language festival compared
to others is that each language gets a separate room at the Cheboksary University of
Pedagogy, so that you can go there and speak the language or participate in informal
presentations even outside the regular sessions. Also, this festival is well-organized
because they've been organizing it every year since 1996; there is no other language
festival team with even close to that much experience.

During last year's festival in Cheboksary, the following languages were presented:
English, Old Russian, Arabic, Armenian, Azeri, Belorussian, Chinese, Chuvash, Dida (a
language of 200,000 people from Côte d'Ivoire), Esperanto, Finnish, French, German,
Hebrew, Hindi, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Georgian, Catalan, Lingala, Latin,
Lithuanian, Mari, Nepalese, Norwegian, Ossetian, Polish, Runa??, Swahili, Tartar,
Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 06 April 2011 at 10:01am

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6654 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 52 of 53
06 April 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:
Journeyer wrote:
Wow, I would love to go to that university!

Sounds like the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey, California, but without the military requirements.

I know this is somewhat off topic, but it doesn't sound much like DLI, because most people at DLI had never studied a language before, and are only there for their one language. Don't idealize it that way, because its goals are something else.

Well, I meant it as the DLI because people only go there to study languages. In the same sense such a place as the OP suggested would be somewhere were people could totally be immersed in languages. I see what you mean, though.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 53 of 53
06 April 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
If you might be interested in meeting polyglots at the IJK, you can get a subsidy of up
to 80% of your expenses, including travel costs! Application deadline is soon though. I
may be ready write a reference letter.

http://www.tejo.org/eo/p-ijk

Edited by Sprachprofi on 06 April 2011 at 6:20pm

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version