Triglot
United States
Joined 5288 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 8
24 March 2011 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
There was some discussion about this in a post on Tagalog, but I'm just fascinated by it
in general. I find it pretty cooler (and cooler the more languages being switched
between). In fact, apparently in Gibraltar, code-switching between English, Spanish and
Yanito is a point of pride (http://vimeo.com/3408888).

In other places though, it seems to be quite frowned upon. What are your thoughts on the
matter? Do you ever code-switch?
1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5452 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 2 of 8
25 March 2011 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
I love code-switching when other people do it, but if I do it myself I tend to get terribly confused. That's probably due to my monolingual upbringing, though; people who've grown up with multiple languages are probably better at jumping from one to another, I suppose.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6774 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 8
25 March 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
JFman00 wrote:
In fact, apparently in Gibraltar, code-switching between English, Spanish and Yanito is a point of pride

Yes it is.

JFman00 wrote:
Do you ever code-switch?

All the time.

Enjoyed the video too. I didn't know anyone had bothered to make a film about us.

Edited by patuco on 25 March 2011 at 6:19pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4889 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 8
25 March 2011 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm kind of with Jinx on this. As a matter of fact, I don't know that I've ever seen someone code-switch that hasn't grown up wth the languages, at least naturally.

I'll go so far as to say that bilingual kids code switch because that's actually how they think. A mono-lingually raised person that code switches is doing so because they can't remember the word they need in whichever language they happen to be speaking.

R.
==
3 persons have voted this message useful

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4822 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 5 of 8
27 March 2011 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
I do it with Spanish and English, especially with my brother because at the time I was learning English while with my sister and parents I have always spoken with them in Spanisih. I mostly switch with sentence or half of a sentence: the beginning would be Spanish the rest in English, usually during prepositions such as "and" and "but", or one sentence would be English and the other in Spanish.

Maybe one day I might be able to incorporate Finnish into the mix. :D

- Kat
2 persons have voted this message useful

fnord
Triglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 4792 days ago

71 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: German*, Swiss-German, English
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch

Message 6 of 8
05 June 2011 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Code-switching is a very common occurrence in German-speaking Switzerland. Swiss German dialects are so
distinct from standard German as to make even short utterances easily identifiable as being either Standard
German or dialect. A lot of code switching also happens at the language language boundaries within the country
and in cities that are officially bilingual.

Code switching is common and perhaps most obvious when speakers of Swiss German talk to speakers of
Standard German - most Germans and Austrians residing in Switzerland understand Swiss German reasonably
well, in many cases functionally perfectly - so they are passively bilingual.
hrhenry wrote:
As a matter of fact, I don't know that I've ever seen someone code-switch that hasn't grown up
wth the languages, at least naturally.

A mono-lingually raised person that code switches is doing so because they can't remember the word they need
in whichever language they happen to be speaking.

I began to aquire Swiss-German at a relatively late ag. In fact, I have had no contact with Swiss German
whatsoever until my mid-twenties. However, I now do code switching between Swiss German and standard
German virtually every
day, occasionally to English as well.

Edited by fnord on 05 June 2011 at 1:41am

arashikat
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4436 days ago

53 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog*, English
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 8
15 February 2012 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
My earliest memory of me code-switching (between English and Tagalog) would be around 3rd grade. It got more frequent when I moved to the States.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4410 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 8 of 8
06 March 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
At my university (English language major at University of Warsaw), students and faculty both do a lot of code-switching.

I heard code-switching (between MSA and dialects) is common in Arabic-speaking countries. Is it true?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version