txag2005
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 2
25 March 2011 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I started on my journey to learn Spanish several years ago. After much research on the site, I came up with the following resources that I though would be beneficial.

I actually finished the beginner Michel Thomas and started on Pinsleur 1, but shortly lost my motivation and now three years later, I'm back at square one.

I'm back and more motivated than ever to hopefully actually learn Spanish this time. I've been playing around with ideas about programs to use and I'm thinking about FSI/Programmatic/Platiquemos. Pinsleur just seems like it takes a good amount of time without much return. I'd rather just redo Michel Thomas since I have it around and then dive into something else.

My question is if the FSI type resources are good for beginner level learners? I'm not a complete beginner as I took a couple years of Spanish back in high school (around a decade ago) and I've got some exposure over the years. So I do have a very small amount of exposure and some random vocabulary I know.

With this in mind, would be advisable to jump into the FSI resources and skip something like Pinsleur or Learning Spanish like Crazy (another resource that was popular when I was looking at resources back in 2008)?

Finally, which of the following FSI type resources are best to use for a beginner?

-FSI Basic (I-IV I believe)
-Programmatic (incomplete I know)
-Platiquemos
1 person has voted this message useful

TerryW
United States
Joined 6161 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 2
25 March 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
txag2005 wrote:
With this in mind, would be advisable to jump into the FSI resources and skip something like Pinsleur or Learning Spanish like Crazy (another resource that was popular when I was looking at resources back in 2008)?

Finally, which of the following FSI type resources are best to use for a beginner?

-FSI Basic (I-IV I believe)
-Programmatic (incomplete I know)
-Platiquemos

Pimsleur, LSLC, and FSI are all good, it just depends which you like best. (LSLC is similar to Pimsleur, but has more vocab and material and progresses at a steeper pace)

FSI Programmatic is probably best to start with, the lessons use bite-sized numbered steps. There is a lot of concentration on Spanish pronunciation in the early units. Don't be put off by the utter simplicity of the early units, it doesn't take too long before they get more challenging.

FSI Basic Spanish is good too, complaints from users are that it is a little outdated and boring. I don't find it boring, since I see great improvement from when I first go thru a given drill, and get much better on each repetition of that drill, which is very motivating. The drills are excellent for learning to speak more fluently. (Don't be afraid to repeat Units in Basic FSI)

ALthough Programmatic and Basic are separate courses, doing both is good, I wouldn't worry about overlap.

I never used Platiquemos, but from what I understand, it's mostly FSI Basic modernized a bit, and the audio is rerecorded and spoken slower than the FSI Basic (which uses fast-talking (normal speed?) speakers). Some people think it's better to pick up listening skills using FSI's faster-spoken audio.

Since FSI Programmatic and Basic courses are available online legally free, why not try the first unit of each and see which you like better to start, or maybe you won't like either, whereupon it's time for Pimsleur or LSLC.

Edited by TerryW on 25 March 2011 at 10:28am

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version