United States
Joined 4808 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: Persian, English*, German, Spanish, Tajik
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 7
25 March 2011 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Hey All,

I am interested in learning Tajik but can't find much online info. As the title says, anyone every learned or is learning Tajik at the moment? How is that going for you? Did you start with a Farsi or Russian background? As I've heard, it's Farsi written in Cyrillic alphabet, but in a dialect of Farsi. Still intelligible to me somewhat, as I have some Farsi under my belt. But, where to go?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Earthly
United Kingdom
Joined 4764 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 7
28 March 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 

Edited by Earthly on 28 March 2011 at 10:23pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 7
28 March 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Earthly wrote:
Lesson 1: stop calling the Persian language Farsi! Farsi is the Persian word for the Persian language, in the same way 'po-ruski' is the Russian word for Russian. It's a really silly mistake that most can't be blamed for, but it's just as ridiculous as going around saying 'I speak espanol', 'You know fracais', 'We listen to po-ruski Music'. Sorry, I don't know much about the Tajik language, I just came on this thread because I was intrigued. Best of luck with Tajik!

Lesson 2: "Farsi" is actually acceptable in English contrary to a presumed "mistake" appealing to the "logic" that English does not use "Español", "français" or "po-ruski" [sic] for "French", "Spanish" or "Russian" respectively.

In some instances terms that are phonologically identical or at least closer to the native designation of a language are acceptable (or in a few cases even preferred) in English. E.g. "Sami" for "Lappish", "Yue" for "Cantonese", "Khmer" for "Cambodian", "Bangla" for "Bengali".

"Farsi" for "Persian" is no different.

See this thread or this one for more (sometimes heated) exchanges on this topic.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5104 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 5 of 7
28 March 2011 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 3: there is no language called "po-ruski" anymore than there is one called "in English".

I agree with the substance of Lesson 1 though; the most proper English designation is "Persian".

Finally, returning to the topic of the thread, like paranday I've wanted to explore central Asian languages, particularly Uzbek and Mongolian, but have not been able to locate an online bookstore for them, without which learning a language is of no use to me.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6424 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 7 of 7
26 April 2011 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Lesson 2: "Farsi" is actually acceptable in English

83% of linguist prefer "Persian"-

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version