TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6116 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 1 of 9
26 March 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
I've read it so many times on the web, that 僕 is a very masculine personal pronoun that's used by men only.

Now I've encountered quite a few pop songs, sung by girlish J-pop girls where they use the word ぼく (and ぼくら). Female radio hosts can use it to.

What's going on here? I'm beginning to suspect that the masculinity rule is just a way of helping foreigners not to embarass themselves by using the word improperly.. (?)
1 person has voted this message useful

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4930 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 2 of 9
26 March 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
For your reading pleasure!

Maybe I'm just being unprogressive here, but.. to me, girls who talk like this don't sound like real people, they sound like Anime characters.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6708 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 9
27 March 2011 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Some girls even use "ore"! It's a pretty recent trend, I believe. I'm 24, and girls my
age don't do use them (or maybe it's extremely rare), but it might be more common among
current high school-aged girls.

I agree with Segata's opinion :) The girls who use it are not doing so naturally and
unthinkingly, but are telling the world, "Hey, look how cute and unique I am! Be endeared
to me!"

Edited by Lucky Charms on 27 March 2011 at 4:26am

JaKorChi
Australia
Joined 4818 days ago

18 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Afrikaans, Mandarin

Message 4 of 9
27 March 2011 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
I actually asked a Japanese person about this the other day.

"Boku" and "Ore" are still manly ("Ore" being the more manly of the two), but J-Pop starts like Ayumi Hamasaki will often refer to themselves as "Boku" to be unique and sound cute like they're trying to fit in with the guys. So it's still a manly way of saying "I", it's just that attention-seeking girls like to say it too.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4937 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 5 of 9
27 March 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
I want to add I think it's rather boyish than manly.

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6673 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 9
19 April 2011 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
I think using Boku or Ore in songs might have something more to do with a two syllable word fitting the song better than a three syllable word. This is what I've heard from Japanese friends of mine anyway. Also, it's not just J-pop that does this, I've also heard Enka and other old songs using Boku.

Also agree with clumsy that Boku is more boyish (like in a tomboy way) than manly. Ore is the more masculine of the two.

In my opinion this a recent trend and probably just a natural effect of progression. Compare it with young western women nowadays using swear words and acting more masculine.

I wonder whether there's any connection between women using 僕 and 俺 and 肉食系女子?

Edited by unzum on 19 April 2011 at 6:17pm

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5587 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 7 of 9
19 April 2011 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
With regards to the difference between boku and ore, I had gotten the impression that ore is more youthful than
boku, and carries with it a sort of different, more aggressive masculinity, where is boku is more simply generic
masculinity. The exception to the rule of course is that boku is also used a lot by young children- ore doesn't
come into the picture until around puberty, I think? I may be wrong.

With regards to girls using them, you can find some more info about this by googling "bokuko" and "oreonna"
which are what you call girls who use these terms.

In general, in anime these girls are usually either tomboys or intentionally gender ambiguous/androgynous. In
real life it's not as clear cut, but I would hesitate to say it's always attention-seeking. It may be done by girls
who prefer hanging out with guys or want to have a tomboyish image, as well. I haven't been able to find any
information about its use by japanese girls who identify as male, gender neutral, or gender switchers, but this is
mostly because it's hard to find ANY information about non-heteronormative people in Japan that isn't incredibly
simplistic and othering.
4 persons have voted this message useful

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6231 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 8 of 9
28 April 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
In the case of a song, it could also be that the singer is "in character" as a male. (I don't know if this is often actually the case; it's just a hypothesis.) I imagine that a woman would take on the role of a man much more readily than the reverse -- but such is the case in the Western world too.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version