Polyglot movies

Tags: Movies | Polyglot
 Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
artemidora
Super Polyglot
Spain
Joined 4781 days ago

27 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek, Catalan, Hindi, Russian, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Greek, Japanese, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian, Swahili, Persian, Ancient Egyptian, Romansh, Tatar, Sanskrit, Lithuanian, Kazakh, Basque, Hawaiian, Arabic (classical), Finnish, Czech, Turkish, Indonesian

Message 1 of 4
27 March 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
i love these movies, where they speak in quite a number of languages:

-"Caballé. Más allá de la música". "Caballé. Beyond music" by Alberto Sabaté. 98 min. documentary about opera singer monserrat caballé. Spanish, catalan, french, English, German, Italian and russian. many musicians from many countries speak about her. the film is wonderful.

-"Jordi Savall. En busca del sonido perfecto". by didier baussy-oulianoff. it's a documentary of about an hour that is included on the extra DVD in the second remastered edition of the french film "Tous les matins du monde"(by alain corneau). Master Savall is a polyglot viola player and expert in ancient and baroque music. in this documentary he speaks in french, catalan, English, German, Italian and Spanish.

-Rolando Villazón. "Opera recital" it's an extra dvd that comes along with this opera recital cd. about half an hour long. he speaks in Spanish, German, French, English, Italian and makes his best to sing in russian, what is very funny to watch.

-"In weiter ferne, so nah..." by Wim Wenders. a feature film. What was its name in English? so far and yet so close?... they speak German, french, English, russian and Italiano! mammma mia! la pizzeria dell'angelo!.

can you add some other polyglot movies to the list?
was there already a similar forum thread from the past?

many opera lovers must be polyglots, surely there are many

Edited by artemidora on 30 March 2011 at 2:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5741 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 2 of 4
28 March 2011 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
artemidora wrote:

-"In weiter ferne, so nah..." by Wim Wenders. a feature film. What was its name
in English? so far and yet so close?... they speak German, french, English, russian
and, and, and i guess that was all.

I believe "In weiter Ferne, so nah!" was marketed in English-speaking countries
as "Faraway, So Close!", as a sequel to "Der Himmel über Berlin"

No real list of artistic polyglot movies would be complete without at least a footnote
reference to "All the Queen's Men" in which a cross-dressing Matt Leblanc gets
parachuted (together with Eddie Izzard and a fellow who speaks 27 languages) into war-
time Germany as an OSS officer looking for the German encoding machine Enigma, and
instead gets covered in pooh (both literally and liberally). The dialogue is mostly
in English, but has large dollops of German, and at least a sentence or two in each of
Italian, French and Czech.

I am pleased to recommend this film to no one, not even my sworn enemies, though if you
are curious about how one would say "Tell Frenchie that if she spits one more time,
I will pis$ in her bed
" in the Czech language, then this may be the movie for you.   

Edited by Spanky on 28 March 2011 at 6:14am

1 person has voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6653 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 3 of 4
29 March 2011 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
"Babel" which uses English, Spanish, Japanese, Arabic, and Berber languages (according to IMDB).

"Europa Europa" in German, Polish, Hebrew, and Russian. The main character himself is a polyglot who uses his wits and his indispensable language skills to survive as a Jew in the German army.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5478 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 4 of 4
29 March 2011 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
I recently watched "Joyeux Noël," a really lovely film based on a true story that took place during WWI. The dialogue is in German, French, and Scottish-English (my Scottish roots make it impossible for me to simply say "English"). The film blurb runs as follows:

"In 1914, World War I, the bloodiest war ever at that time in human history, was well under way. However on Christmas Eve, numerous sections of the Western Front called an informal, and unauthorized, truce where the various front-line soldiers of the conflict peacefully met each other in No Man's Land to share a precious pause in the carnage with a fleeting brotherhood. This film dramatizes one such section as the French, Scottish and German sides partake in the unique event, even though they are aware that their superiors will not tolerate its occurrence."

I would definitely recommend this film.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version