United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6039 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 1 of 7
27 March 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I don't know how I could have been unaware of these guys for so long. www.dunwoodypress.com is a website with dictionaries, textbooks, readers, grammars and audio recordings for less commonly taught languages like Yemeni Arabic, Amharic, Bhutanese, etc. A little pricey but who else has this much material on these languages?

Has anyone bought from these guys? If so, what are their materials like?
1 person has voted this message useful

etracher
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 5121 days ago

92 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Russian, Latvian

Message 2 of 7
27 March 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
You might be interested in this video review of some of Dunwoody's materials by Professor Arguelles. I have never used any of their materials, so I have nothing to add.

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6039 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 

Message 4 of 7
28 March 2011 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
etracher wrote:
You might be interested in this video review of some of Dunwoody's materials by Professor Arguelles. I have never used any of their materials, so I have nothing to add.

Thanks! I just thought it was absurd that I had never come across this site before and that no one else on the forums had either. Thanks for the link to Prof. Argüelles' critique.

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6039 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 

Message 5 of 7
28 March 2011 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
paranday wrote:
I like their stuff, but must say the Persian Fiction Reader audio that I got was terrible. It was made in the analog era, perhaps with the person reading the text sitting inside a steel drum stuffed with cotton.

Hopefully most of their stuff is much better. The more recently produced Persian Listening audio is just fine. The books I've bought from them are of good quality. Professor Arguelles has published these Dunwoody items.

Back when Prof. Argüelles was still living in California my wife and I had the opportunity to visit him and he was working on those books! His wife was getting on his case because she felt that he was procrastinating getting them done but he said he had everything under control. Apparently he did. I didn't ask him which company he was preparing the books for. That's neat to find them on the market.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 6 of 7
30 March 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
I've bought from them. I like their materials. I do regret that so much of their audio is still shipped on cassette tape, though.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version