United States
Joined 4977 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 12
29 March 2011 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
I found my IP book.

Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Paris Text, 1971).
Article 7-
(1)- The term of protection granted by this Convention shall be the life of the author and fifty years after his death.
(6)- The countries of the Union may grant a term of protection in excess of those provided by the proceeding paragraphs.
(8)- In any case, the term shall be governed by the legislation of the country where protection is claimed; however, unless the legislation of that country otherwise provides, the term shall not exceed the term fixed in the country of origin of the work.

1976 Copyright Act
Chapter 3-
Section 302-
(a)- Copyright in a work created on or after January 1, 1978...the life of the author and 70 years after the author's death.
(c)- ...a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication, or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first.

Section 305-
All terms of copyright provided by sections 302 through 304 run to the end of the calendar year in which they would otherwise expire.

We didn't talk about copyrights from before 1978. Apparently it's a mess, and it was just an introductory class that dealt with trademarks and patents as well. I read over the statute for older copyrights. It looks like they get a term of 28 years from the date is was secured that is renewable (under some circumstances) for a term of 67 years. (Section 304) There's a lot of fine print I don't have time to digest right now. I can ask around if you want me to be sure.

You might be better off checking the Copyright Office. http://www.copyright.gov/records/ The only thing is is that you don't need to register a work to get protections.

I'm probably going to to take Advanced Copyright next spring if that matters.

Edited by HenryMW on 29 March 2011 at 2:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5814 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 10 of 12
29 March 2011 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Warning: UK only information follows....
DavidW wrote:
I exchanged a few emails with Linguaphone last year about the copyright status of some
of their older courses. I got a response that seemed to imply that if the recording was
in the public domain (after 50 years), then the rest of the course would be also. I
don't think she was sure about it though. Perhaps noone is :-).

That would make sense in a way. If there is an audiobook of a printed book. The
audiobook comes into the public domain. In theory I could transcribe the recording and
make my own printed version without needing any permission. But maybe the typesetting
(interior design) of the original printed book would still be under protection, so you
couldn't sell photocopies of the original book?

I doubt the people at Linguaphone's customer services would have consulted the company solicitor, so don't take their word for it.

You may think that would make sense, but look at it from the point of view of the professional songwriter.

A new song is a written work (life+70, reasonable expectation of over 100 years of protection), but it is recorded and released within a year on a recording (50 years protection) by a pop band.

Your reasoning would give copyright protection to the songwriter only on condition that it is never recorded.

Scriptwriters would be caught in a similar bind. Even authors would be in trouble, as books are often serialised on radio.

To my mind, the only real question here is this:
Elvis's original sound recordings are all out of copyright, so I can copy them without his estate's permission. Do I still need to pay his songwriters?   I believe the answer is yes. A lot of my CDs of out-of-recording-copyright-but-not-necessarily-written-copyr ight blues music still have an MCPS licensing notice on the inlay, so they must still have to license the songwriters' mechanicals.

So even though the actual recording is out of copyright, it would appear to me that Linguaphone and Assimil still can block publication due to the copyright that subsists in the published written work (ie the transcripts in the book).

If Linguaphone told you in writing that it was OK, that would limit their ability to sue you (they could probably still tell you to take it down), but I doubt they would be willing to commit it to paper....

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4977 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 12
29 March 2011 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
In the US, every song carries with it two copyrights: the lyrics/sheet music and the performance. They are both subject to the same length of protection.

If someone wrote a Spanish course and recorded at the same time, the copyrights expire together. I haven't seen any case law on recorded courses being copyrightable, but the standard for protectable creativity is low.

DavidW
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6329 days ago

318 posts - 458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French, Italian, Persian, Malay
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Portuguese, German, Urdu

Message 12 of 12
04 April 2011 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I misunderstood the laws. There would be a copyright for the recording, and a separate copyright for underlying literary work, both of which would need to have expired
for the recordings to be in the public domain.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version