Diglot
Spain
Joined 4966 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 12
05 April 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
i have the same question with my Chinese, what course should i take afterwards that don`t overlap Assimil Chinese ?.

I wish Assimil would release an extension of Chinese with ease to continue the two books already in the market.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6753 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 10 of 12
05 April 2011 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Desertbandit wrote:
Anyways, I'm getting closer to upper beginner-lower intermediate
by the day.

Does anyone have some more pointers I can take once I need to take the leap to
intermediate ?

These books are meant for intermediate-level Japanese learners, and can also be used in
a similar way to Assimil in that they contain parallel translations and recordings, and
are graded (with each subsequent writing in the books ascending in difficultly). The
best part is that they are natural, unabridged Japanese originally written for a native
audience.

Breaking Into Japanese Literature
http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-into-Japanese-Literature-
Classics/dp/4770028997/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=130200 8490&sr=8-1

Read Real Japanese Essays (I think this is the easiest of the three to start with)
http://www.amazon.com/Read-Real-Japanese-Essays-Contemporary
/dp/4770030576/ref=sr_1_4?
ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302008490&sr=8-4

Read Real Japanese Fiction
http://www.amazon.com/Read-Real-Japanese-Fiction-Contemporar
y/dp/4770030584/ref=sr_1_3?
ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302008490&sr=8-3

(My apologies for the long URLs, but I can't post hyperlinks in this forum with Chrome.
Please be sure to remove any spaces.)

Edited by Lucky Charms on 05 April 2011 at 3:12pm

poligloto
Pentaglot
Antarctica
Joined 4788 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English, French*, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 11 of 12
05 April 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Hello Desertbandit,

I agree Assimil is the best multi language collection, along with the Tell me more programs which I also recommend (haven't got the Japanese yet, I guess only the 3rd level would be useful). Did you go through all 3 books by Assimil? The third book is a kanji book (not the best, not the worst, I recommend a kanji book for schoolchildren containing the first 1000+ kanjis learnt at school). Doing lines of kanjis is useful. To practice kanji, http://kanjibox.net/ is free via your browser and very good, also available I think on the i-Store.
I learnt Japanese mostly in Japan, using mostly Minna no nihongo I and II (and daily conversation, which helps immensely). That was more than enough to get JLPT N4, a piece of cake. As much as I love Assimil for introducing grammatical concepts smoothly, starting to explain them only when you've seen them a few times, Minna no nihongo has a very strict presentation, introducing all grammatical concepts in an order that seems perfect, and clarifies all your knowledge. You probably don't need the first one, it could be too basic for you. Besides this, I also recommend writing in Japanese on lang-8 as already mentioned... You can also try NHK's lessons, starting maybe at lesson 50 or 60 and see if there's anything for you. http://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/ .
In case a Russian speakers reads this thread looking for an answer to the same question: Iliya Frank is brilliant, I absolutely love his collection. It's bilingual books presented in a unique way that make them readable by people starting with no knowledge of the language (but with a strong will to learn), and still interesting for people with B2 reading skills.
Oops, forgot the link. http://franklang.ru/
Concerning Pimsleur, don't bother, the whole set, which costs an arm and a leg, only goes through 500-600 words, without explaining any grammar. The first CD of Tell me more goes through at least 1000 words (at least for the German I'm doing, but pretty sure it's similar for all languages).

Edited by poligloto on 05 April 2011 at 6:31pm

Desertbandit
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4904 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Iraqi)*

Message 12 of 12
05 April 2011 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Luckycharms@ This is great , its exactly the kind of learning method I like to use .

Poligloto@ Don't worry about my Kanji that I got covered .
I finished the first wave of Assimil and Im going to start with the second one hopefully soon , I paniced a bit early I know...but if I do not have my study route planned early, I start to waste time and panic .

I am also a kind of person...who just listens and read...and try to get Grammar naturally and only refer to grammar when im terribly confused .

I would like to stay away from standard textbooks like Minna no Nihongo , its to textbook for me it just doesn't work ive tried it and seen it.

and lol Pimsleur , Just did that for a short while no cost , mighy look into tell mem more thanks..and yeah NHK lessons are good to ...need to use that more.

thanks.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version