Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply

Slacker
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5256 days ago

62 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English
Studies: German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic (classical)
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 7
28 March 2011 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
All,

So, I'm re-arranging my language library, and as I was doing so I decided to take the CDs out of the few Teach
Yourself courses that I had kept in the original (clear plastic) cases that house both the book and the two CDs.
It seems as if the housing is made of a plastic that, if not indestructible, is at least stronger than the CD that I
was trying to pull out of it -- long story short, I now have a cracked "Teach Yourself Russian, CD 2" and a
perfectly intact case. Luckily, and quite surprisingly, the CD was still able to be read by my computer, even with
an inch-long radial crack.

As I went through a few more courses, I noticed a tendency for the bottom disc to be very difficult to remove; to
avoid another cracking incident, I surgically removed them with an Exacto(tm) knife.

As your TY courses age, and the discs become more brittle, and the clear plastic cases grow even stronger and
more powerful (I think they feed off disuse), please be super careful removing your discs - especially if you
haven't already ripped them to MP3 or the like. When you FINALLY decide that you're going to get around to
learning Bengali, the last thing you're going to want to do is re-purchase one of the CDs for $350 from some
Amazon partner price-gouger.

-Slacker

==============================
TAC '11 - Slacker's Rosetta Stone Game
Current: German-1
Done: Italian-1, Italian-2
Fail: Arabic-1
==============================

6 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5496 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 2 of 7
28 March 2011 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the warning! What a relief that the CD was still readable in your case.
1 person has voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6067 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 3 of 7
28 March 2011 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
I had a similar issue with the teach yourself mandarin course. I called the publisher in the UK and they sent
me both CDs (only needed cd1) at no charge in a nice, new, easy to remove case.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6949 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 4 of 7
28 March 2011 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
I had a lot of trouble removing my CDs from the Teach Yourself Mandarin course. I thought I was going to break one. Fortunately I didn't but the first thing I did then was to copy the CDs and use the copies and put them in a cheap container. I also have the Teach Yourself Mandarin Conversation course and I had to be careful unpacking the CDs. I don't like the way they are packed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5363 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 5 of 7
28 March 2011 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I still have't worked out how you're supposed to get the Michel Thomas CDs out. They're in a normal hard case, the first one has a "press in the middle" release mechanism, but the second just has a little tag. I'm sure I'm going to break one, one day.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6119 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 6 of 7
29 March 2011 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
I biff the cases from the get go and stick all the CDs in a plastic spindle case. Much easier. Fortunately I've never cracked or broken either a disc or a case, but I do recall having a fair amount of trouble wrenching the blasted CD from my Danish course case. It is infuriating.

Actually, I think the packaging of the UK versions are different and superior: I ordered the Bulgarian course from a UK site, and it came in a much sturdier case, but with the CDs in a jewel case. The US ones, by contrast, are abysmal.

By the way, can you explain how a plastic case can grow stronger by "feeding off disuse"? I've never heard of such a thing before!

Edited by ChristopherB on 29 March 2011 at 10:56am

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6924 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 7 of 7
06 April 2011 at 9:25am | IP Logged 
Don't blame the Brits! The problems you are experiencing are with the US editions in the cheapo plastic cases, published through McGraw-Hill.

The brand new Teach Yourself courses come with much better cases and packaging. The UK versions always had jewel cases for the CDs.

If you have the US plastic case, then you need to squeeze the protruding bit that holds the CD in place to take the CDs out without breaking it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version