Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5029 days ago

63 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 1 of 7
28 March 2011 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
How do Spanish speakers perceive foreigner accents of Spanish?

For example when Americans speak Spanish IN GENERAL you can tell they're American.

But say for example, a Portuguese or an Italian were to speak Spanish. Would the Spanish speaker be able to tell they're Portuguese or Italian?

Edited by Nature on 28 March 2011 at 7:10am

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4922 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 7
28 March 2011 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Nature wrote:

For example when Americans speak Spanish IN GENERAL you can tell they're American.

But say for example, a Portuguese or an Italian were to speak Spanish. Would the Spanish speaker be able to tell they're Portuguese or Italian?

I can certainly identify a Portuguese or Italian person speaking Spanish by their accent, and I'm not a native Spanish speaker. A long time Spanish speaker, yes, but not native.

You become accustomed to patterns in any language, just like in your own language and learn to distinguish different accents.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5245 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 7
28 March 2011 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Nature wrote:

But say for example, a Portuguese or an Italian were to speak Spanish. Would the Spanish speaker be able to tell
they're Portuguese or Italian?

I'm not a native speaker of Spanish, but in general it is not too hard to notice an Italian or Portuguese accent. If they
have reached a near native level, it is of course harder.

Hierbabuena
Spain
Joined 4820 days ago

19 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: EnglishB2, Mandarin

Message 4 of 7
28 March 2011 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
If we're used to listen the accent, like the Italian or the Portuguese ones, yes, we can
say where they are from. But with the most of them we only can say if they are from
somewhere in East Europe, Middle East, etc.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5943 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 5 of 7
29 March 2011 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Unless they're strong Spanish speakers, it's easier to identify an Italian, Portuguese or French person speaking Spanish than say somebody from Hungary or Latvia. This is because speakers of Romance language tend to default to their own pronunciation for the many cognates their languages share with Spanish.

However, there were some native Russians speaking Spanish that I once mistook for Portuguese speakers of the language. A Spanish person would probably have identified them correctly.

Edited by DaraghM on 29 March 2011 at 4:15pm

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4873 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 6 of 7
29 March 2011 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
I think Portuguese from Portugal is easier to identify than Brazilian Portuguese in Spanish language. I might be wrong, but as a guy said here, he once mistook the accent. Portuguese from Portugal sounds like Russian to my ear, but I still understand them, sometimes making a little effort to do. For me, it sounds like a Russian speaking Portuguese. Living in Brazil, I'm sometimes surrounded by Spanish speakers, but the only difference I can tell is, whether they're native speakers or not (non-native usually speak slowly, while native speakers speak very fast, faster than I do in my own language).

Edited by Matheus on 29 March 2011 at 7:59pm

elarsen21
Diglot
United States
Joined 4777 days ago

7 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 7 of 7
05 April 2011 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
I took a "Spanish for Foreigners" course at a Latin American university with students of many different nationalities. After having spent nearly a year with native Spanish speakers, I could definitely discern different accents (including those of the Brazilians in the class).

Remember that accents vary within a country as well. Different regions often have distinct accents that are instantly identifiable.

The question is which accent the speaker has adapted to. An immigrant to a given country may end up speaking with a flawless regional accent from that country.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version