Groupie
United States
Joined 5262 days ago

51 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Cherokee, French

Message 1 of 3
29 March 2011 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
Have you tried "Complete Finnish: A Teach Yourself Guide" by Terttu Leney?

Was it worth buying?

Were you able to learn Finnish from the book?
1 person has voted this message useful

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5075 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 2 of 3
29 March 2011 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
I love the TYS books, I also have the Finnish one. I like it, because I like all TYS books that I have used, though I have to say that the Finnish one has very long dialogues and taking in account the language is not Indo-European language, then it usually takes a bit longer than with other languages to decipher ever grammatical structure used in the dialogue.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5929 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 3 of 3
29 March 2011 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
I'm still working on this book.    As a textbook, I think it's pretty typical. The content is pretty touristy. There's a section on renting a car, but then I wanted to say "I put on pants" -- and couldn't find that in this book. I don't believe this book will take me that close to fluency by itself, but I believe if I treat it with a bit of respect I will learn some Finnish from it.

Actually I do like the audio CDs that comes with it, and I find I can listen to this many times without feeling exhaustion.   The CD does have some English on it, which will not please the purists.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version