Diglot
Italy
Joined 4851 days ago

21 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English

Message 1 of 2
29 March 2011 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
PART I

Sometimes people ask questions about accents.
Explaining the matter of accents is a laborious task, and Italian learning people at they very first steps will
find it annoying and overelming. It takes time and, when we come to a stop, we are left with a few of basic
rules. So I thought the best way was starting from the end: let's get rid of all accents and see what comes out.

This is why I wrote a little tale/story in wich I omitted all accents intentionally. I called it "MARE D"INVERNO",
"SEA IN WINTER TIME". You may want to have a look at it in the last part of this post.

ABOUT WORDS AND ACCENTS

Some people find Italian words easy to pronounce, others don't. However it's a matter of fact we have
these five vowels only

a e i o u     (ah, eh, ih, oh, uh)

These ones are and were the vowels commonly used to speak into a large area of lands around the
Mediterranean Sea. In ancient and modern Greek too, as well as in the ancient hieroglyphical Egyptian language,
these five vowels are pronounced essentially the same way. Curious thing, also Japanese people use this set of vowels, with some minor difference in pronounciation.

I heard Italian people saying "Why do outsiders find it so difficult pronouncing Italian words? They are to be
read
the same way they are to be written!". This makes no sense, of course, because every language has
its own rules. Though the sense is "the pronounciation rules are so few in Italian".

Your grammar will tell you how to split a word into syllables.
Let's consider the word "città" (female, singular = city/town):

cit-tà

This word in made up with two syllables. You see, the accent is on the vowel "a" of the second syllable: città.
While speaking, the voice stresses this vowel. While reading, the accent helps you to understand which is the
word the writer was referring to, because some words are graphically identical but have different meanings.

Instead, if you write "cìtta", you indicate that it's the first vowel that has to be stressed.
"cìtta" is not a official Italian language word. But should it happen you are in southern Tuscany,
for example in Cetòna, a medieval village on the top of a hill, and say "cìtta", people will think you are
saying "little baby girl", and "little baby boy" for "cìtto". Try and type "la città" and "la cìtta"
in the online speaker I told you about in the "Oh che bel castello!" thread. It helps alot.

OMOGRAFI (homograph words)

A number of Italian words, you know, look identical but have different meanings. These words are said
"omografi" and can be divided into the three following groups. Notice that all words you find in my lists
below are written with their right accents. This is only for your comfort, since accents help to evidence
which syllable has to be stressed while speaking. Thankfully, this is necessary for a relatively small
number of cases only. You find more details about this aspect in Part II. Also, most homographs are
found in pairs, but sometimes you have three or four of them.

Group A

The words of this group differ for the position of the accented vowels, in so far the accented vowels aren't
located into the same syllable. E.g.:

pàpa (pope) - papà (dad)
cìrcuito (circuit) - circuìto (deceived)

A consistent number of the Group A word pairs comes from the third singular person of simple past tense,
indicative mood, of some verbs.

lanciò (sh/e launched) - làncio (launch)
tastò (sh/e I touched/felt out) - tàsto (key)
saltò (sh/e jumped) - sàlto (jump)
seccò (sh/e dryed up/bothered) - sécco (dry)
segnò (sh/e marked) - ségno (mark/sign)
segò (sh/e sawed) - ségo (tallow and I saw)

Group B

The words of this group have the accent located in the same syllable, which, in turn, contains the same vowel.
Hence these words are stressed the same way. The vowels have different pronounciation though. E.g.:

légge (law, closed vowel "é") - lègge(sh/e reads, open vowel "è")
déi (of the, closed vowel "é") - dèi (gods, open vowel "è")

This group is scarcely populated. I used some of these words in my tale, so I better don't report them here.
The English word "exception" constitutes a quite good example of what Italians call "closed e" and "open e":
the first vowel you pronounce is a closed e -> é, the second one is a open e -> è
Therefore, according to the Italian style, that word would be written "éxcèption". But since the rule is to
show the accent on the stressed vowel only, it would definitely look like "excèption".

It is said that, due to open and closed vowels, the number of vowels in Italian language is seven:

a è é i ò ó u

This is true. However, in practice:

(a) How much influence does a uncorrectly pronounced vowel have on the comprehension of a word?
    None. Zero influence.
(b) How much respect do Italians have for correct pronunciation of vowels?
    None. They are influenced by their own dialects and can't escape their habit.
(c) How does official language sound with all vowels correctly pronounced?
    It sounds marvellously to natives
(d) Is a time wasting task trying to learn the correct pronunciation of vowels?
    If you are at your first steps, absolutely yes.
(e) What can I do to learn the official Italian language pronounciation?
    Living here is not enough. You should join in a school for actors and dubbers.
    It might take years, also to natives. If you want to hear the official Italian I
    strongly recommend you see dubbed movies.

Group C

These words have the accent on the same syllable, which contains the same vowel, which gets pronounced the same way. It's the context that makes the meaning clear in this case. E.g.:

vòlta (time) - vòlta (vault)
ràso (smooth/shaven) - ràso (satin)
spése (sh/e spent) - spése (expenses)
sàldo (firm) - sàldo (balance)
légato(legacy) - légato(tied)
sèi (you are) - séi (six)
sètte (sects) - sètte (seven)
séte (thirst) - séte (silks)

A consistent number of Group C word pairs comes from the third singular person of the present tense, indicative
mood, of some verbs:

tàsto (I touch/feel out) - tàsto (key)
bèffa (sh/e moks) - bèffa (hoax/cheat)
bènda (sh/e bandages/blindfolds) - bènda (bandage/blindfold)
sèrra (sh/e shuts) - sèrra (greenhouse)

Some Group C words differ for their gender. This helps us to understand their meaning. E.g.:

(il) fìne (m., aim) - (la) fìne (f., end)
(il) làma (m., llama) - (la) làma (f., sword)
(la) àsse (f., board) - (lo) àsse (m., axis)
(il) moràle (m., morale/spirits) - (la) moràle (f., morals)
(il) mìtra (m., submachine gun) - (la) mìtra (f., mitre)
(il) viòla (m., violet/purple color) - (la) viòla (f., viola) (Also, vìola = s/he violates)
(il) mòto (m., motion) - (la) mòto (f., motorcycle/motorbyke)
(il) ràdio (m., radium) - (la) ràdio (f., radio)
(il) ròsa (m., pink color) - (la) ròsa (f., rose)
(il) frònte (m., MIL. front) - (la) frònte (f., forehead/brow)
(il) càccia (m., fighter plane and destroyer) - (la) càccia (f., hunting)
(il) capìtale (m., human resources/capital) - (la) capìtale (f., capital city)

These are the most common ones, but we have more than thirty.

---

I used 38 pairs and 4 triplets of homograph words in my little story. I tried to
put each word of the pair/triplet as near as possible to the other, and, at the same time,
to preserve the general sense. Due to proximity of homographs, the pace is lilting
and, to a certain extent, lullabying. Line numbers will be used in Part II.

Notice that I omitted all accents intentionally, both in homograph and non-homograph words,
exception made for the third singular person "è" (is) of "essere", so that you can have it
distinguished from "e" (and).

The narrator, his girl Priscilla, some other unspecified people and their guide decide to
camp near the sea in winter time. They meet a man there.

People don't use guides simply to camp, I know. By the way...:)

MARE D'INVERNO (SEA IN WINTER TIME)

01- Un di di dicembre, giunti a meta strada dalla meta, incontrammo un uomo sulla costa.

02- "Costa si sta scomodi. Nulla vi costa fare altri due passi, a meno che non vi passi la voglia di

03- fermarvi qui" ci disse l'uomo mentre, a piedi scalzi nell'acqua, con una mano teneva la canna

04- da pesca e con l'altra una pesca che usava come esca. "Esca dall'acqua, non sente che è fredda?"

05- lo invito la nostra guida. Ma l'uomo non raccolse l'invito e prosegui: "Sistematevi sotto quel

06- pero, pero le pere non le dovete mangiare. Se lo fate le fate del pero se ne avranno a male"

07- disse sorridendo "e berranno tutto il vostro te". "Te l'avevo detto che questo posto è stregato"

08- scherzo Priscilla. "Non è uno scherzo stare accampati qui. Qui non è vita. Ma la vita mi fa male

09- e dovremmo fermarci." Allora posammo a terra la nostra roba e cominciammo a piantare la tenda.

10- "Tenda quella corda principiante!" mi intimo la guida con un tono cosi sgarbato da farmi sentire

11- ferito nell'intimo. Il pescatore continuo a osservare in silenzio il nostro continuo affaccendarci

12- nella difficile operazione. Poi ricomincio a parlare.

13- "Nei giorni di sole le sole prede che catturo sono latte senza latte ne birra. E per di piu in

14- questo sito c'è un gran sito di pesce andato a male. La ringhiera della scala di ferro è corrosa dal

15- sale e si sale col timore di ruzzolare giu. Non è colla colla che potranno tenerla insieme. Ma in

16- questi luoghi le fonti d'acqua sono pure e pure l'acqua del mare è pulita. Ci sono posti da visitare

17- e animali da osservare. Tra i merli del castello a un miglio da qui i merli mangiano il miglio

18- offerto dagli stranieri, e dall'alto dei merli si vede il letto dell'oceano.

19- Chi ha letto i libri sa che Nettuno, che solleva le onde, fondo la sua citta laggiu sul fondo, onde

20- nessuno vi potesse entrare. Ma io sono il guardiano del faro e faro meglio a tornare ora, se voglio

21- fare la mia parte".

22- "Parte o non parte dunque?" lo apostrofo la guida sempre piu irascibile e screanzata.

23- Allora l'uomo si verso del porto, lo bevve, rispose al verso di un gabbiano che ci girava intorno,

24- si giro verso il porto e porto via tutti i suoi attrezzi.

25- In giro non c'era anima viva, mentre dai campi alle nostre spalle si sollevava un vapor d'acqua tanto

25- denso e spesso che spesso i forestieri lo scambiavano per fumo. Fummo molto soddisfatti di aver messo

26- la tenda sotto quella pianta. La pianta del posto riportava tante cose da visitare. Sfortunatamente

27- Priscilla scivolo in acqua e fece un bagno. Si bagno fino al collo. "Collo sborso di pochi soldi si

28- poteva stare in albergo" lamento a voce bassa, ma mai altro lamento usci piu dalla bocca della coraggiosa

29- ragazza. Il giorno seguente trovammo la campagnola Gertrude, proprietaria del fondo in fondo alla strada,

29- mentre puliva a fondo il pollaio. "Stia lontano dalla stia! Il gallo è irascibile" mi avverti.

30- Ma la guida volle provocare il gallo e si becco un colpo di becco a un dito. Gertrude ci rivelo che

31- l'uomo del faro amava stare sulla scogliera per via della sua gentilezza d'animo. Egli considerava

32- infatti suo compito tenere la gente lontana dai pericoli. "Compito facile per un uomo cosi compito"

33- pensammo noi. "Compito perfettamente inutile adatto a uomo sciocco" compito la guida col dito viola

34- "che viola le regole del buon senso". E sciocco tutti parlando ad alta voce. Ma proprio in quel momento,

35- fatto portentoso per quei luoghi, tra i suoi piedi spunto dall'erba un boa. La boa a un centinaio

36- di metri da noi fu il suo rifugio: la raggiunse a nuoto in pochi istanti. Così fu salva, mentre una

37- salva di cannone diffondeva dal castello in tutta la pianura l'eco del saluto alla nuova estate.

---
Nomen est omen
---

Edited by Fasulye on 14 August 2011 at 8:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

xander.XVII
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4846 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 2 of 2
29 March 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
In effetti,a ben pensarci, non deve essere affatto facile per uno che studia l'italiano
capire bene dove vanno i vari accenti quando non sono scritti.
Comunque ottima guida 22atropos!
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version