Nudimmud
Groupie
United States
Joined 4991 days ago

87 posts - 161 votes 
Studies: Greek, Korean

Message 1 of 7
30 March 2011 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
I'm always a bit reluctant to pose general questions like do speakers of language 'x' have attribute 'y'. But such questions are such fun to ask and irresistible for me not to post opinions to, that I guess I'll go ahead and add my own. Lately I've been studying Korean and have become involved with a Korean language group as well as practising Korean with several friends and acquaintances. One of the recurring themes seems to be how easy it is to forget Korean. For example:

- The brother of a friend of mine who was born in Korea and came over when he was about 7 and lived in house where Korean was spoken consentingly can't speak Korean, even though he can understand it.

- A co-worker of mine who's Korean and whose wife is Korean (both moved to the US as young adults) only speak Korean at home to their Kids. In addition, one pair of grandparents who know almost no English live close by and visit often. Yet since the kids started attending school their Korean ability has slowly faded. In fact my colleague even sends them to Korean school on the weekends yet they're speech is slow and unsure and they've forgotten words and the way to say things that they used to know.

- Several of the Koreans in my language group were born in Korea, grew up in the US with Korean speaking parents who could barely speak English. Yet, in one case a member completely forgot how to speak Korean, and couldn’t understand his parents when they talked in Korean, and in another case the member can't speak Korean at all but can still understand quite a bit.

- I read one blog post from a guy whose parents knew absolutely no English, while he knew basically no Korean, just enough ask for food or say he was sick. He took Korean from the very beginning in college -- to Harvard! -- and struggled severely with it -- and it was only then after several courses that he was able to carry on a conversation, for the first time in his life, with his parents!

The question I posit is whether there are some languages that are especially prone to attrition in the context of another language, perhaps due to major differences in the phonetics of the language -- for example, French would be less likely to be lost then Korean in an English speaking country, but perhaps, would be lost faster than Korean in Japan? Of course it's also possible that it's just my over-active imagination and above mentioned (and dangerous) love of of finding peculiarities in languages and cultures and then generalizing them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4985 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 2 of 7
30 March 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
This is interesting. A little bit different, but possibly related: as someone trying to learn Korean, I find I have trouble remembering it as well. This might be because I'm a beginner, but I can't really remember that happening with my other languages.

Yet, somehow I feel like one language shouldn't be easier to forget than another, either by a native speaker or a learner.

Edited by hjordis on 30 March 2011 at 8:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

B-Tina
Tetraglot
Germany
dragonsallaroun
Joined 5326 days ago

123 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Polish

Message 3 of 7
31 March 2011 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
As far as I can tell, the more exceptions a language has, the more input you need to retain that stuff. A language with a lot of exceptions is hence more prone to attrition, without regard to the other language in question.

For instance, if you were to retain English language, you'd basically have to retain only two forms of the number "2": "two" and "second". If you were to retain Polish, on the other hand, you'd had to remember about 22 different forms (might be even more, I just skimmed the 3 pages in my polish grammar concerning the number 2) of that very same number, depending on gender, case and whether or not you're referring to a collective.

So you need to stay in contact with all the specific irregularities of a language, and the more it offers, the more difficult it gets.

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4921 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 7
03 April 2011 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
The blog you mention about the son not being able to communicate with his parents seems awful far-fetched. I
don't know about you but if I couldn't speak to my mother in Mandarin and she couldn't speak to me in English, I
would use my brain and find a solution. I wouldn't wait to get to college before starting to learn Mandarin. I
would google translate phrases if I had to, I would imagine that not being to communicate with your own parents
whom you live with would be so frustrating and depressing that you would go crazy if you didn't learn the
language. It would be like the sink or swim situation you would experience if you moved to France and didn't
speak a word of French, but 1000x more personal.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5758 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 7
03 April 2011 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
CheeseInsider wrote:
The blog you mention about the son not being able to communicate with his parents seems awful far-fetched.

I suspect being unable to communicate is meant in a general sense. In a general sense, that describes my interaction with my mother at various points as well as that of other 2nd generation American born Chinese that I know.

Edited by Snowflake on 03 April 2011 at 9:22pm

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5207 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 6 of 7
04 April 2011 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
I would guess that major differences in the grammar structure would be important. I have a hard time believing I could really "forget" Spanish, and indeed I have taken long breaks from using it and jumped back in fairly easily. I think it is partly because the general structure of how sentences are constructed isn't all that different from English. It's a language that is also a lot easier for me to just make things up on the fly if I want to speak, and even though it may not be perfect I feel fairly comfortable I could at least get close enough to the correct grammar to be understood, even without really studying grammar.

Now, when it comes to something like Japanese (and therefore probably similar with Korean) since the word order is so different, and particle use is so foreign to English it seems like if I didn't stay on top of my studying it would be very easy for the rust to accumulate quickly and be harder to get back. Using English grammar rules is to some degree using the grammar rules of the romance languages, but not much for Korean or Japanese.

elarsen21
Diglot
United States
Joined 4784 days ago

7 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 7 of 7
04 April 2011 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
This is a fascinating topic, and amazing stories about people forgetting their first language!

I have often wondered whether a threshold (in terms of time and effort) exists at which a new skill becomes "like riding a bicycle," unforgettable despite years without practice.

This surely depends on the complexity of the skill, e.g. opening a door vs. performing a gymnastics routine. Language is quite a complex skill, and some languages are more complex than others. Hmm...

Any neurolinguistics doctors in the house?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version