Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
35 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 35
30 March 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
I just heard about this interesting challenge, which is about reading more pages in your
target language. Scores are tracked via Twitter. Deadline for sign-up is March 31st
(tomorrow!), so hurry and sign up!

More
information

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5526 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 35
30 March 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
The blog for the contest: http://readmod.wordpress.com/

He wants me to choose only 3 languages. )=
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 35
30 March 2011 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
The blog for the contest:
http://readmod.wordpress.com/

He wants me to choose only 3 languages. )=

Same here :-( I understand the idea of focusing on few languages in order to achieve
synergy effects there, that's why my main target is Chinese and I'll do as much Chinese
reading as I can possibly stand. I think even having three languages is too much if the
idea is to get a lot of exposure in one month. Last year I worked on two languages each
over three months, but I chose them in such a way that one was always a beginning
language for which I'd do textbook work, classes and the like, while the other was a
language in which I'd try to get tons of exposure. This meant that the languages didn't
take time away from each other.

However, the thing is that I also have some stuff in Greek, Dutch and Italian that I
need to finish reading in April in order to prepare for projects at work. Reading these
languages is still too slow for real enjoyment, and I'm afraid that if I can't count
those hours, only Chinese hours, then I'll put it off too long and wind up unprepared.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 30 March 2011 at 5:06pm

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5746 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 4 of 35
30 March 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Seriously though, it's only one month. I'm sure you can focus your reading efforts on "only" 3 languages for a month. Keep a long term view here. This "contest" is to help encourage us to do extensive reading. Try to really focus on reading as much as possible for this month, and see what happens.

Doing a bit of maintenance reading here and there is not what it's about. Your aim should be in the hundreds of pages at least, so if you're trying to scrape together a few more pages here and there, then you're missing a good opportunity.

Use this as an opportunity to have some shared motivation with the rest of us who are participating, and reach with us to try and get some real visible progress due to reading a lot.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4946 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 5 of 35
30 March 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, maybe I'll do this. I was trying to read more anyways, as my reading speed is painfully slow. On the other hand, I have a ton of other things I need to study. Ah well, what the heck. I guess I'll do it.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6206 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 6 of 35
30 March 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I signed up (and, incidentally, followed you on Twitter, doviende), but I'm a little
confused about how we're supposed to count "pages read" when on the net, etc. Could
someone fill me in? I'm also not entirely clear on the #sentence one; just number of
sentences?

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4946 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 7 of 35
30 March 2011 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
josht wrote:
I signed up (and, incidentally, followed you on Twitter, doviende), but I'm a little
confused about how we're supposed to count "pages read" when on the net, etc. Could
someone fill me in? I'm also not entirely clear on the #sentence one; just number of
sentences?

I... have no idea actually. I'd like to know that as well. Yeah, I'd assume #sentences would just be number of sentences. Maybe that's what you'd do on the net? Seems like a lot of trouble to go through though.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 8 of 35
30 March 2011 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
From the previous contest's rules:

"A newspaper article or webpage counts as 1 page if it has roughly the 3 paragraphs
worth of text, give or take a sentence. If the webpage or news article is unusually
long, you may count it as more than a page."

So "@TadokuBot 1 #de #news" means 1 German news article, assuming that it's
approximately 3 paragraphs long. If you read FAZ a lot, you may want to double the
number every time.

If this is a very rough estimate, don't let it bother you. Hopefully numbers will be so
high that it doesn't matter. And reading books is the best way to get a big score
quickly anyway.

I'm thinking of tweeting one interesting sentence or tidbit with each of my updates
to the bot.
Always from the materials I just read. What do you think? I'm
@Junesun on Twitter.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 30 March 2011 at 8:09pm

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version