27 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
tanya b
United States
Joined 4581 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 17 of 27
27 January 2012 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Ther are 2 American professors, neither of Basque descent, who are now fluent in Basque, or Euskara, who actually teach Basque, I think at UNR. Both of them lived in the Basque country of Spain for several years. This is an example of 2 non-Basque individuals who have conquered the world's most difficult language for English speakers. There is also a story of an English sea captain who married a Basque woman who now speaks it like his native tongue. So it is definitely do-able. Elko, Nevada and Bakersfield, California have a fair number of Basque speakers.

Edited by tanya b on 27 January 2012 at 6:28am

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6353 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 18 of 27
27 January 2012 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
tanya b wrote:
This is an example of 2 non-Basque individuals whowho have conquered the world's most
difficult language for English speakers.

Cherokee?

tanya b
United States
Joined 4581 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 19 of 27
27 January 2012 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
I'm waiting for the new edition of the Basque-Cherokee dictionary. I know nothing about Cherokee except that it has it's own alphabet and that Creek and Choctaw are very similar.
2 persons have voted this message useful

luvlinguae
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 4455 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Russian, Czech

Message 20 of 27
01 March 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
I found this online basic Basque course offering. It's basic and doesn't have the pronunciation as audio files, but it's
free, it's a start, and it's at least in English: http://www.101languages.net/basque/basics.html
2 persons have voted this message useful

vikramkr
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5872 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 21 of 27
01 March 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Hippocrene's Beginner's Basque course appears to be quite good.

Edited by vikramkr on 01 March 2012 at 6:29pm

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5487 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 22 of 27
13 September 2012 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Is anyone currently interested in Basque? I speak it at a level of basic fluency, after having been learning it for about 2 years. I am not of Basque descent, just really love the language. :)

There's an extremely comprehensive course online, in English (and Spanish, maybe French too) that is completely free, at http://www.ikasten.net/

The registration page is only in Spanish and Basque, but the course is 99% in English. I say that because there were a couple times some sentences were not translated from Spanish, but the majority of the course is. That's the course I used, and still need to finish!
4 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5059 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 23 of 27
15 September 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
sjheiss wrote:
Is anyone currently interested in Basque? I speak it at a level of basic fluency, after having been learning it for about 2 years. I am not of Basque descent, just really love the language. :)

There's an extremely comprehensive course online, in English (and Spanish, maybe French too) that is completely free, at http://www.ikasten.net/

The registration page is only in Spanish and Basque, but the course is 99% in English. I say that because there were a couple times some sentences were not translated from Spanish, but the majority of the course is. That's the course I used, and still need to finish!
And where is the course itself? No matter how much I wander in the site, I can't find it.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4933 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 24 of 27
15 September 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
And where is the course itself? No matter how much I wander in the site, I
can't find it.

It looks like you have to register as a hiru.com user first. Then it requires you to
fill out an intrusive (in my opinion) form, asking for your address, telephone number
and DNI number, among other things.

It's too bad... I would have been interested in seeing the course, had the site not
required so much information.

R.
==

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version