Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5132 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 15
04 April 2011 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
I found your article extremely useful, in particular the part about listening to the language first to get the accent right. It is so easy to get distracted by the ways words are written, so that you pronounce words based on how you think it should be pronounced based on the writing.

I share you focus on the oral performance. I could not care less if I could not write a particular language, if I could only speak it properly.

Plus you suddenly gave me the urge to learn Japanese, An urge which must be stopped at all cost. I cannot take on another difficult language right now!
1 person has voted this message useful

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4969 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 11 of 15
04 April 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
vacatiolegis wrote:
I downloaded a book in Swedish (Okänd soldat by Väinö Linna), a language I have no idea about, and listened to it for an hour or so. All I can say is that I liked the voice of the reader and I recognized some international words, and that's about it. I still have no idea what the Swedish phonemes are. I don't think I gained anything by the experiment.

We're talking several hours, as in.. I don't know, maybe 50 hours or so. One hour won't do anything ;)

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4969 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 13 of 15
04 April 2011 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
Well, different strokes for different folk I guess. ;) All I wanted to say though is, that you should not rate a "method" after just one hour

Edited by Segata on 04 April 2011 at 12:31pm

elarsen21
Diglot
United States
Joined 4783 days ago

7 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 15 of 15
05 April 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Iversen:
Fantastic insights into organizing passive listening! These exercises have a sense of focus that I was lacking.

I also like your point about separating meaning from form. This is the exact reason I choose to begin with passive listening-- with no idea of meaning, one can only focus on form, without distraction.

Solfrid:
Thank you for the kind words, "Tusen Takk!" (My great-grandparents were Norwegian; I lived in Oslo for a year as a kid and learned a tiny bit of Norwegian.)

I will not accept the blame if you choose to study Russian and Japanese at the same time! :)

Edited by elarsen21 on 05 April 2011 at 1:00am

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version