Triglot
United States
Joined 6715 days ago

261 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, French
Studies: Esperanto, Ukrainian, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Persian

Message 1 of 7
04 April 2011 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
I just thought of an interesting way to remember Chinese tones.
Use the compass as points of reference and then mark the characters as you practice them.It's pretty easy to remember, as long as you know the correct tones of 3 numbers and one animal, you can link them to the compass points. Maybe as you write them you can put a little point in the right compass position to remember the character instead of trying to remember accent marks.

N
W E
S

Start at East (E) as tone 1. In Chinese, 1 is Yi and is said with the 1st tone.
Next, North (N) is tone 2. In Chinese cow is Niu, and is said with the 2nd tone
West (W) is tone 3. In Chinese, 5 is Wu is said with the 3rd tone
South (S) is tone 4. In Chinese, 4 is Si and is said with the 4th tone.

Just an idea I had. Hopefully, it will help someone.
4 persons have voted this message useful

simpleasy
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4787 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
04 April 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
This seems like a really good idea for people struggling to remember the correct tones.
My problem is more remembering words than remembering tones though, but I know some
people who would find this aid perfect. :D
1 person has voted this message useful

Evilgoat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4786 days ago

8 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 3 of 7
05 April 2011 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
That's an interesting idea, though I'm curious what advantage you thinks this offers over
the tone marks. The tone marks are, after all, very visually descriptive.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6743 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 7
05 April 2011 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
This is a good start, but how about linking each tone to a compass point AND to an image?
For example, words with the second tone can be visually placed in the North and be
associated in some way with a cow. For 弟弟 you could imagine a little brother riding a
cow, and for 豆腐 you could imagine a cow eating tofu. A word with two tones would
incorporate both tone images with the meaning of the word.

jsun
Groupie
Joined 4879 days ago

62 posts - 129 votes 

Message 5 of 7
05 April 2011 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Actually tone itself bears meanings.

In Old and Middle Chinese, there were four tones (but they are NOT those four tones in
Mandarin)
1. level 平
2. rising 上
3. departing 去
4. entering 入
And Old and Middle Chinese had voiced consonants like b, d, g, z, dz...

Later, as many Chinese languages lost voiced consonants and more tones developed.
Voiceless consonants developed into higher pitch tone groups called 陰調 (In Yin Yang
theory, 陰 means shadow, dark, woman, soft....) while voiced consonants developed into
lower pitch tone groups called 陽調 (陽 means sun, bright, man, hard....).
Woman = higher pitch = 陰
Man = lower pitch = 陽

In modern Mandarin, tone 1 and 2 were developed from level tones, tone 3 was from rising
and tone 4 was from departing. Mandarin doesn't have entering tones and syllables with
entering tones were usually merged into tone 4 .

Rising tone usually relates to things that have "endo" properties
and departing usually relates to things that have "exo" properties.

Rising tone was believed to be developed from syllable that once had a glottal stop in the
end. Therefore, when you pronounce rising tone, you may feel that some kind of air steam
flow
into your throat. And sometimes this feeling matches match with the meaning of character.
For instance, 買 (buy) is a rising tone character. So buy (get things in) matches with the
feeling of air stream coming in.

As the name of departing tone implies, it sometimes matches with words that have departing
meaning. When you pronounce words that have departing tones, you may feel some air
stream flowing out of your mouth.
去(go) is a departing tone.
賣 (sell) is also a departing tone.

Mandarin doesn't have entering tone. So I've to use other Chinese languages to illustrate the
function of it. Entering tone describes syllable that ends with p, t, or k.
When you pronounce syllables with entering tone, you may feel that air stream is flowing into
your mouth in a burst.

In Hakka and Cantonese
入 (enter)
Hakka: ngip
Cantonese: yap
The p-final (entering tone)closes your lips and makes you feel the air "entering" your mouth.
In Mandarin, 入 just becomes tone4.

Edited by jsun on 05 April 2011 at 4:44am

7 persons have voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6644 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 6 of 7
14 April 2011 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
This is a good start, but how about linking each tone to a compass point AND to an image?
For example, words with the second tone can be visually placed in the North and be
associated in some way with a cow. For 弟弟 you could imagine a little brother riding a
cow, and for 豆腐 you could imagine a cow eating tofu. A word with two tones would
incorporate both tone images with the meaning of the word.

You've got your tones mixed up there. Both 弟弟 and 豆腐 are fourth tones followed by neutral tones.

Superking
Diglot
Groupie
United States
polyglutwastaken.blo
Joined 6437 days ago

87 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 7
13 May 2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Although this might be a little off the point of the main topic, I was having trouble remembering which number was which tone (i.e. which was 1st, 2nd, etc.) until I developed a way to remember them, and after that it stuck almost instantly. I associated the numbers with the tone marks, and thought of it as a race. 1st tone starts out high and stays that way, so he wins the race obviously. 2nd tone starts kind of low, but ends higher so he gets 2nd place. 3rd tone dips at the beginning, but comes back up at the end and manages to get 3rd place. 4th tone starts out high but drops to the bottom and comes in last. 5th... well, 5th doesn't even enter. Neutral tone never was too perplexing for me though.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version