reflectionsinpo
Joined 5901 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 25 of 39
26 December 2011 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
ReQuest wrote:
Teutonic is better for German, that way nobody ends up being flustered.

but Teutonic is the broad word for all Teutonic folk and tongues.

Edited by tritone on 26 December 2011 at 8:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5901 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 

Message 26 of 39
26 December 2011 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
However, if Anglish is to be a full tongue in which you can talk about anything, it will need further words to fill in the holes left by the un-Germanic words. Some of this could be done by widening the meanings of some words, or making new words with word-endings, but some thoughts would need dead Old and Middle English words to be brought back to life.

I think that new English is already a full-fledged tongue that has a broad enough word-hoard, for us to speak of most everyday things without having to make up words or bring back words from middle and old English. Barring only a handful of the most deeply-rooted french and Latin words that make up our daily speech ( "use", "very", "easy" and others ), Anglish should be strait-forward, and readily understood by anyone.

Edited by tritone on 26 December 2011 at 10:42pm

Mauritz
Octoglot
Sweden
Joined 4849 days ago

223 posts - 325 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Old English, Yiddish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean, Portuguese, Welsh, Icelandic, Afrikaans

Message 27 of 39
27 December 2011 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
The hardship with noting the English tongue without any outlandish words is two-fold. Firstly: when should a word
be seen as a "true" English word and not a borrowing? Mostly Old Norse words come to my mind here.
Twothly (or simply "other", if the Old English word is more wanted(ON loan!)), as Anglish does not have as a goal to
be a made-up tongue in an otherish timeline, an at times weird mixing of words is needed. Some often noted
words are just odd (wordhoard and laughtersmith are just two of them).

Instead I must ask: if a "clean" kind of English is to be made, why may we not go back to older days and note the
foregone words once again? How else may we ever say "sound" (forgive my outlandish!)? And I mean the thing you
hear, not what one may be. Too many words that are very much needed have been lost over the years, and not
even the greatest wordmixing and endingadding and laughtersmithing will be enough.

Edited by Mauritz on 27 December 2011 at 3:25am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5901 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 

Message 28 of 39
12 January 2012 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Mauritz wrote:
Too many words that are very much needed have been lost over the years, and not
even the greatest wordmixing and endingadding and laughtersmithing will be enough.

English isn't that far gone. Think of the following: In the whole King James holy book 90-in-100 words are English, and even today in the daily New York times 85-in-100 words are English, so A LOT can be said without french/latin words, and it shouldn't be hard to get rid of only 10-15 words out of 100.

There are loads of little-known New English words that can be brought into everyday speech, and even if there isn't a New English word with the selfsame meaning as a french/latin one, you can almost always put the same thought into other words, or put two words together with a "hyphen"(word-mixing), which you can already do in English and most Teutonic tongues anyway.

Would anybody even know that I'm writing in Anglish right now if I hadn't told them? All I'm doing is putting my thoughts in other words, but this is still everyday English. The only things we can't talk about have to do with "science"( for lack of an English word) and other higher-learning things, which don't have much to do with our daily lives anyway. I think the English didn't have many higher-learning words before the Normans came.

Edited by tritone on 12 January 2012 at 12:49am

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5901 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 

Message 29 of 39
12 January 2012 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Mauritz wrote:
Firstly: when should a word
be seen as a "true" English word and not a borrowing? Mostly Old Norse words come to my mind here.
Twothly (or simply "other", if the Old English word is more wanted(ON loan!)), as Anglish does not have as a goal to
be a made-up tongue in an otherish timeline.

But old Norse words are at least kin to English which is why they don't seem outlandish at all. English from it's birth has broad Teutonic beginnings, since three Teutonic folks, the Angles the Saxons and the Jutes came together to make English. That's why English, although a western Teutonic tongue more akin to Dutch and Netherlandish is often more like Northern tongues. So, a borrowed northern word here and there like "take" doesn't need to be done away with - even though we could with the word "nim" instead.

The only Teutonic words we should get rid of are a handful of newer borrowings which mostly come from Dutch, and are hard to say and spell, little-known, or not needed anyway like "Glockenspiel", "halt", "angst", "zeitgeist", "gestalt" and more.

Edited by tritone on 12 January 2012 at 2:20am

sgh78
Diglot
France
Joined 4422 days ago

163 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Latin, Persian, Biblical Hebrew, Arabic (classical), German

Message 30 of 39
20 April 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
I find Anglish funny , what are synonyms of these words in my list with a non Germanic root ? :
1.Difficult (I know "hard" but hard mean a lot of things).
2.Original (I don't find a equivalent with a Germanic word).
3.Concept (Like for original).
4.Force (I know a equivalent , a word with Germanic root , "craft").
5.Liberty (Free with a Germanic root).
6.Forest (I don't find a equivalent with a word have a Germanic root).
7.Hour (I don't know a equivalent of this word with a Germanic root).
8.Music (What is the equivalent with a Germanic root ?).
9.Evidence (I know the word "proof" but evidence is often used in the juridic context but proof is often used in a technologic or scientfic context like computing , electronic , physical).
10.All these examples to say I find this project interessant.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 39
21 April 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
tritone wrote:

The only Teutonic words we should get rid of are a handful of newer borrowings which mostly come from Dutch, and are hard to say and spell, little-known, or not needed anyway like "Glockenspiel", "halt", "angst", "zeitgeist", "gestalt" and more.

Did you mean German? Although in the case of "angst" maybe German through Danish because of the philosopher Kierkegaard. And hopefully you have other words for those notions. Gestalt therapists - if they still exist - would not like to loose "Gestalt", and the few Glockenspiel players might actually like the name of their toy.

Edited by Iversen on 21 April 2012 at 1:31pm

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6440 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 32 of 39
21 April 2012 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
sgh78 wrote:
I find Anglish funny , what are synonyms of these words in my list with a non Germanic root ? :
1.Difficult (I know "hard" but hard mean a lot of things).
2.Original (I don't find a equivalent with a Germanic word).
3.Concept (Like for original).
4.Force (I know a equivalent , a word with Germanic root , "craft").
5.Liberty (Free with a Germanic root).
6.Forest (I don't find a equivalent with a word have a Germanic root).
7.Hour (I don't know a equivalent of this word with a Germanic root).
8.Music (What is the equivalent with a Germanic root ?).
9.Evidence (I know the word "proof" but evidence is often used in the juridic context but proof is often used in a
technologic or scientfic context like computing , electronic , physical).
10.All these examples to say I find this project interessant.

1. Hard is fine, it works for German -- their one even means heavy!
2. Odd, weird, one-of-a-kind
3. Way (of doing), plan, blueprint
4. Power, might, strength,
5. Freedom, that one was easy!
6. Woods, weald (cognate of Wald perhaps?), woodland
7. Time, while, tide, moment, etc. etc.
8. Singing, song, playing, hymning
9. Proof is absolutely fine

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version