Joined 6456 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 9 of 15
06 April 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
This remind me of these principles:

1-As long as you have input and output, the most important factors are INTENSITY and TIME.

2-The best method is the method you don't give up.

3-Find out your favorite method and keep practicing it.

4-PRACTICE, practice and practice your target language, because the main problem learning languages is giving up. Keep doing.

5-Do whatever you feel like in your target language, but do something.

6-KISS: keep it simple and sweet. It is all about REPETITION, any kind of repetition.

7-No Retreat, No Surrender. Rest and follow the flow.

Edited by slucido on 06 April 2011 at 6:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 15
06 April 2011 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I sometimes think that I ought to write about three-column wordlists, copying by hand and listening like a bloodhound again and again for the benefit of new members who haven't heard those expressions, but then I think that old members might be tired of reading about the same old things all the time - maybe even before I got tired of writing about them.

However I have one thing that keeps me here as an active member, namely my multiconfused log where I can do my humble writing exercises on a variety of subjects. Some members have their own blogs on the internet, and then they logically tend to focus on those, but so far I can't see any reason to change status quo. My blog is here.

When I read Donald Duck as a kid, ever so often I would see these words at the beginning of a story "En Disney klassiker, til glede for nye lesere!" (A Disney classic, for the benefit of new readers). So perhaps you could introduce "En Iversen klassiker, til glede for nye medlemmer" (An Iversen classic, for the benefit of new members" :-)

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6796 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 15
07 April 2011 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
patuco wrote:
William Camden wrote:
I don't post as much on the forum as I used to. I have been posting since 2007

Just imagine how it feels for those of us who joined in 2005...

Actually that was your post no. 3500 - congratulations!

Thanks. I see that you're coming up to a significant milestone yourself.

I think that I know what William is trying to say and I can empathise with him. I find that, as time passes, it's getting harder to write anything worthwhile without thinking "didn't I write this already?". I remember way back then when I would log on multiple times a day, read everything voraciously, contribute to every thread that I could think of and generally spend hours here...ahh, the good old days!

Lots of things have changed since then, both personally and professionally, and even if I could think of new and refreshing things to say, there aren't enough hours in a day to do everything (if only I had one of those time-bending watches like in Harry Potter...). I've often thought about keeping a log (or actually continuing with the couple of failed attempts I've got lurking somewhere in the Language Log basement) but I realise that I'm not "built" for that sort of thing. Each to their own.

P.S. It's 3501 now!

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5792 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 12 of 15
07 April 2011 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
Nor am I referring to language study.

I wasn't suggesting you were.

What I mean is that learning a particular language is a process of expansion and refinement of skills, and that learning techniques for learning is a similar process of expansion and refinement of skills.

So it makes sense that we can have the same sort of "plateau" where our progress stalls or it looks like we're not progressing.

Many of the longer-term contributors may well even feel that they're good enough at learning and what they do works well enough that they have no need to improve further.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 15
07 April 2011 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
The acquisition of Spanish as my 4th and French as my 5th foreign languages show a qualitative change in my learning that I can't really explain yet. It's a new and exciting development for me. I wonder if for you, being able to speak several languages didn't change as much in your way of handling them as it does for me, or if that process is finished for you already.

Good question, but it falls outside the scope of this thread. It deserves a thread of its own.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5126 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 14 of 15
07 April 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
I am relatively new to language-learning, and though certainly I have developed particular preferences, I have found that learning a language is a matter of simply purchasing a textbook and reading through it. All this procrastination about techniques I find of no great utility. Identifying, locating and obtaining quality materials for me is half the battle when learning a language, the other half consisting of plain diligence and a bit of intelligence.

This doesn't mean I don't enjoy language-learning talk for the sake of it. Just think about football and how its fans can spend a lifetime discussing everything attendant to kicking a ball around. All in all I think we language learners have more to talk about than they do, even if most of it amounts simply to passing the time.

Edited by Juаn on 07 April 2011 at 4:36pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 15 of 15
07 April 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Just a reminder that the thread is about the OP feeling that he is repeating himself NOT when he is learning languages, but when he is posting on the forum.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version