William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6070 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 1 of 15
05 April 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
I don't post as much on the forum as I used to. I have been posting since 2007, but there is only so much you can say about languages and language-learning, and I find myself increasingly writing the same things I wrote two or three years ago.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5179 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 15
05 April 2011 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Can you say that again?

Seriously, I find that my perspective and understanding of certain issues have evolved since I started posting and reading posts on this forum. Perhaps you could concentrate only on certain types of questions you happen to know most about.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5809 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 3 of 15
05 April 2011 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so here's a topic we've discussed time and again, but which hasn't come up for a while: "the plateau".

Is your sense of repeating yourself perhaps a plateau?
IE. Have you hit a point where your progress is simply too slow to be seen?

I used to wonder how much I was getting out of discussions here, but I've started preparing to teach, and the materials I'm working on now is far more sophisticated than anything I could have produced 6 years ago when I started thinking about teaching and 3 years ago when I'd actually been trained and done some teaching.

Simply discussing things with other people helps formalise your thoughts.
Being challenged either makes you re-evaluate your justifications or even change your views completely.

This forum has been immensely valuable for me in that respect.
8 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6813 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 15
05 April 2011 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
I don't post as much on the forum as I used to. I have been posting since 2007

Just imagine how it feels for those of us who joined in 2005...

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6070 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 5 of 15
06 April 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
I am not referring to use of the forum, reading posts and so on. There is considerable value left in it. I just feel less inspired to write posts. A kind of writer's block, perhaps. It is getting harder to say anything new.

Nor am I referring to language study. My Turkish has plateaued somewhat, but it is at quite a high level already and further progress is likely to be slow, though I think I write in it better than I did a couple of years ago. I am picking up more and more words of Arabic I hear in TV broadcasts but I remain at the advanced beginner level, I reckon.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 15
06 April 2011 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
I sometimes think that I ought to write about three-column wordlists, copying by hand and listening like a bloodhound again and again for the benefit of new members who haven't heard those expressions, but then I think that old members might be tired of reading about the same old things all the time - maybe even before I got tired of writing about them.

However I have one thing that keeps me here as an active member, namely my multiconfused log where I can do my humble writing exercises on a variety of subjects. Some members have their own blogs on the internet, and then they logically tend to focus on those, but so far I can't see any reason to change status quo. My blog is here.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 15
06 April 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
William Camden wrote:
I don't post as much on the forum as I used to. I have been posting since 2007

Just imagine how it feels for those of us who joined in 2005...

Actually that was your post no. 3500 - congratulations!

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5564 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 8 of 15
06 April 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
but then I think that old members might be tired of reading about the same old things all the time - maybe even before I got tired of writing about them.

I personally admire the way you patiently explain things you must've said dozens of times before. To me it seems like you treat every serious question with respect.

William, in the time I've been posting here I've improved several languages, but I am experiencing the difficult task of integrating them into a new, more flexible structure. The acquisition of Spanish as my 4th and French as my 5th foreign languages show a qualitative change in my learning that I can't really explain yet. It's a new and exciting development for me. I wonder if for you, being able to speak several languages didn't change as much in your way of handling them as it does for me, or if that process is finished for you already.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version