Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
roots
United States
Joined 4771 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 18 of 21
08 April 2011 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Well, i was born in Russia, but my family migrated to USA in 1994. I was 14 years old then. I always thought I spoke good Russian, but recently realized that my Russian was at the level of a 14 year old child. I read a letter by Pushkin to his Father, and I realized that when I spoke Russian I sound like an uneducated bigot. In conversation many words are substituted by English words, and it happened to many of my Russian speaking friends. I found a need to relearn and rediscover russian all over again.
1 person has voted this message useful

FrostBlast
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4891 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Icelandic

Message 19 of 21
08 April 2011 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Vagaglot wrote:
Please keep your sexist comments to yourself, as there are many women language learners
on this forum.

To me there is a clear difference between a sexist comment and a joke meant to poke playfully and kindly at people, be it regarding sex, culture, hair colour (may I specify that I'm a redhead), or whatever else. This means that the whole point of my writing what I wrote was to have women read it and feel amusingly teased (not 100% sure about the word "tease" here - in French we say "taquiner"). If I offended anyone, I am sorry.

I won't say anything else regarding this matter on this thread since it clearly is a useless digression from the discussion taking place here. If you or anyone else wishes to discuss this further, please do so with me, via private messages.

Edited by FrostBlast on 08 April 2011 at 7:21pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5826 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 20 of 21
09 April 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Kounotori wrote:
I originally started learning Russian because I needed it in my job. However, what was begun for practical reasons soon grew into love and today being able to read all sorts of literature in Russian also motivates me greatly. Plus, I want to be able to fully follow all the fascinating debates on the debating show Поединок.

More Russian speakers are actually needed in the Finnish job markets right now. There is a problem, though: not that many Finns speak Russian. Demand outstrips supply. Fluent Russian would make me more employable, which makes Russian an even better choice for me.

And to think that once I even nearly quit studying Russian because I thought the language sounded ugly! Великий и могучий русский язык, как я тебя люблю!

Definitely one good reason, and Finland also has a common border with Russia. I wonder if there is demand for speakers of Russian in the rest of Europe.

Merv wrote:
FrostBlast wrote:
I can justify my own interest in the Russian language with two simple words :

1- Literature
2- Cinema

I realize I've got quite some work ahead of me before I feel at ease handling any of these two arts (be it
consuming or producing them) but I'm very determined.

I'm a young writer (I write in both French and English at the moment) and the more I study Russian, the more I
realize that this language can give a writer a whole other kind of freedom to express thoughts in a lyrical way, to
strike the reader with intellectual images of great emotional power. French does that rather easily as well (you
need only read Camus to understand this) but, so far as I can see right now, never in the same way as f
Russian.

What about Russian gives you that impression? The unpredictable and moving stress? The verbal aspect? The
cases? The sound?

The expressive power of a language is determined primarily by your mastery. Human languages are incredibly flexible; And infinitely extendible. It is your mind that can be rich or poor, not the language. So I don't buy the argument Russian is linguistically powerful, wonderfully expressive, or magical in some way. But I agree it gives access to a huge body of literature. I'm a fan of Soviet-era science fiction (Strugatsky etc), it would be fun to read it in the original. I could learn the language just to indulge this hobby of mine. But is it practical? Hmm... I'm still not convinced.

Edited by Sennin on 09 April 2011 at 11:20pm

FrostBlast
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4891 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Icelandic

Message 21 of 21
10 April 2011 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
The expressive power of a language is determined primarily by your mastery. Human languages are incredibly flexible; And infinitely extendible. It is your mind that can be rich or poor, not the language. So I don't buy the argument Russian is linguistically powerful, wonderfully expressive, or magical in some way. But I agree it gives access to a huge body of literature. I'm a fan of Soviet-era science fiction (Strugatsky etc), it would be fun to read it in the original. I could learn the language just to indulge this hobby of mine. But is it practical? Hmm... I'm still not convinced.

What I meant comes down much more to matters of personal tastes, life-experiences, interests and personal background in general, rather than a language being "magical" in any far-fetched sense.

But your comment made me realize something else as well.

To me, learning Russian is forever attached to Russian history, art and achievements. In my mind, I'm learning the language of Dostoevsky, Tarkovsky, Einsenstein, Pushkin, Gagarin, Stalin, the Tsars, Andrei Rublev, Alexander Nevsky, the heirs of Byzantium, etc. Everything about Russian, in my mind, relates to this - I think it's a large part of what makes the language so interesting to me.

Edited by FrostBlast on 10 April 2011 at 12:09am

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version