Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4776 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Indonesian, Tetum

Message 17 of 17
09 April 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Besides Estonian, which aabram mentioned, another language with consistent orthography is Bahasa Malaysia. As a native English speaker, I enjoy the ease of getting the correct pronunciation, but I still get an unpleasant irky feeling at seeing the beautiful words I grew up with converted into mere utilitarian forms.

JFman00 described the Chinese writing system as frozen, but this is not the case. Written Chinese characters have changed dramatically over the millenia. The original "oracle bone" characters are very different to their descendant forms of today. And even just a few decades ago there was a major writing change in communist China, with the introduction of Simplified Chinese.

Incidentally, there are intriguing correspondences between the original Chinese oracle bone characters and the biblical book of Genesis. See http://creation.com/article/3014#chinese .

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version