Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5467 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 5
08 April 2011 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
The following video is currently being talked about here in the Czech republic, It is a
skier talking about his success in a competition.

In theory, the interview is in English, but the skier mixes English, German, and Czech.
We could, of course, mock him, and feel superior, yet I get something else from the
video. Specifically, that his lack of linguistic ability hardly matters, since the
interview is still more or less understandable. I see this as a fine demonstration of
somebody getting their point across, even with limited language skills.

Interview with skier
3 persons have voted this message useful

seldnar
United States
Joined 6930 days ago

189 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, French, Greek

Message 2 of 5
08 April 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
I like the video. It reminds me of all those times when I was first learning French and Chinese and couldn't put a
whole sentence together. Nevertheless, I was able to make myself understood. This is a necessary step on the way
to fluency. If one doesn't do what this guy is doing, then the alternative is silence. And I think we all know silence
is not going to take you any closer to fluency.

In those early years, I would feel exhausted after having to speak for more than a few minutes in my target
language. The guy in the video looks as if he's thinking the skiing was much easier. :-) I know how he feels.

edit: to fix spelling error

Edited by seldnar on 09 April 2011 at 2:24am

2 persons have voted this message useful

JFman00
Triglot
United States
Joined 5327 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 5
08 April 2011 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
For me the biggest goal of language is to communicate, and the skier does that with the
tools he has available. I don't find code-switching to be heinous by any means, and among
comfortably multilingual people, I don't see anything wrong with using whatever language
feels most appropriate. I remember seeing a similar video of a Dutch football/soccer
player switching back and forth between Dutch and German as he pleased.

I'll always find the mental gymnastics that occurs when fluently bi/multilingual
astounding, and second the idea that in a utility situation, code-switching is preferable
to silence.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5491 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 4 of 5
09 April 2011 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
I feel bad for this guy struggling to communicate, because I know how frustrating that can be, but he does a really admirable job and doesn't give up trying! Why couldn't they just interview him in Czech and then get a voiceover, though? I found myself thinking "He's clearly a world-class skier, why should he have to be a polyglot too?" He's achieved enough to be impressive already. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

cpnlsn
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5971 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*, French, German

Message 5 of 5
10 April 2011 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
It's quite funny to listen to and you really feel for him. Still
we've all been there. Moral of the story is it's better to
communicate by whatever means than to stay silent. It
might also give us some insight into how some languages
have developed through contact with other languages or
dialects.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version