Language Learning Forum : Immersion, Schools & Certificates Post Reply
wky92hk
Hong Kong
Joined 5496 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 1 of 6
08 April 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Hello !! I come from Hong Kong. I'm just 18, and have a passion for learning languages.
My goal is to be able to speak English fluently.

I want to learn English overseas in this summer.
So I plan to go to San Francisco for a month, and join a summer class.
I will also meet the local people to practice my English.
I won't speak my mother tongue during this period, and will try my best to achieve my goal.

Finally, I want to ask some questions.
How can I find a suitable course to join?
What can I do to spend this time worthily?
Thank you :)

Edited by wky92hk on 12 April 2011 at 3:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6469 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 6
08 April 2011 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
It’s possible, though not a necessity. I speak English pretty fluently and I’ve never been abroad.

Delaunay
Pentaglot
Hungary
Joined 4799 days ago

16 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: German, Hungarian*, English, Japanese, Dutch
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 6
11 April 2011 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
First, select a few language schools to choose from. Check out a few that's based in your city of liking, in your case, San Francisco. (If you are not too picky check out a few courses which are in neighbouring, smaller cities. They might be cheaper.) The size doesn't matter. Make sure the language school you decide on is legit. You don't want to throw your money out the window!

As your main goal is to further your English knowledge, your best bet is to go on as many excursions and communicate with as many natives as you can. Americans are pretty easy going, so it's easy to chat up some locals even in such a big city. Speaking with other English learners might be a cool idea as well, as you will learn how to understand other accents than the native ones. If you see others that speak your native language try to avoid them. It might sound harsh, but it's way too easy to revert to your mother language. so it's better to keep away the temptation.

If you are interested in things to see, I'm not much help I'm afraid, as the closest I ever was to San Francisco was Silicon Valley (and even that was work related, so not much sight seeing for me), which was pretty neat, but not much help to you. But in your place, I would check out some concerts, clubs and cafes, basically places where natives might hang out, and what will also give you the feel of the real city.

And one month is more than enough, so when you return home you will be surely rocking your new American accent! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

wky92hk
Hong Kong
Joined 5496 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 4 of 6
12 April 2011 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Delaunay wrote:
First, select a few language schools to choose from.

Thanks for your advice.It helps me a lot :)

I have an idea. Maybe I can go to church, I think it's an easy way to meet friends and join some activites. And I also think they'll welcome foreigners.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5769 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 6
12 April 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
San Francisco has a large Chinese population, some of whom don't need to function in English. So be forewarned that it may take more effort to avoid Cantonese speakers than you may think.

TerryW
United States
Joined 6167 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 6
12 April 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
wky92hk wrote:

What can I do to spend this time worthily?

When you get there, go to:

http://www.meetup.com/

Click on "Find a Meetup Group"

Search on your San Francisco zip code.

There are all kinds of social groups there that meet all days of the week and do all kinds of crazy things. I would imagine lots of them in S.F. meet at restaurants to eat, if nothing else. (I guess you're too young to go to "Happy Hours" at bars, though)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version