EricaRC
United States
Joined 4770 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 15
09 April 2011 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone for answering my question :)

Isn't it hard to try to learn arabic on your own? I bought a textbook called "Alif Baa (Intro to letters and sounds)" by Kristen Brustad and attempted to learn the alphabet on my own. I got pretty far, too, but was reading on some websites that Arabic was extremely difficult to learn on your own and that it's better to have a classroom setting.
     Is the textbook series by Brustad good to use? I think its made up of 5 or 6 books and is used in college classes. Can you recommend me any more textbooks (with audio) or websites (with audio) that aren't too expensive, like no more than $50-60. Or if it's really expensive, a very good site/textbook that can guarantee a basic speaking and reading level.
    Also, has anybody ever heard of the "Tell Me More" website for Arabic. They provide 600 hours of learning for $299.

Edited by EricaRC on 10 April 2011 at 12:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6807 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 15
10 April 2011 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
EricaRC wrote:
Isn't it hard to try to learn arabic on your own?

Yes, but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't.

EricaRC wrote:
I bought a textbook called "Alif Baa (Intro to letters and sounds)" by Kristen Brustad and attempted to learn the alphabet on my own. I got pretty far, too, but was reading on some websites that Arabic was extremely difficult to learn on your own and that it's better to have a classroom setting.

Were those websites linked to "learn arabic schools"? If so, need I say more?

EricaRC wrote:
Is the textbook series by Brustad good to use?

I think so, although, like everything in life, there are those who don't.

EricaRC wrote:
I think its made up of 5 or 6 books and is used in college classes.

There are three further books apart from the one you already have, namely Al-Kitaab 1, 2 & 3. As far as I know, it is rather widely used in US universities. Try searching on Amazon, the latest editions should be available (personally, I wouldn't bother with book 3)

EricaRC wrote:
Can you recommend me any more textbooks (with audio) or websites (with audio) that aren't too expensive, like no more than $50-60.

The Linguaphone series is good, but it's a bit more than $50-60.

EricaRC wrote:
Or if it's really expensive, a very good site/textbook that can guarantee a basic speaking and reading level.

I don't think that's been invented yet!

EricaRC wrote:
Also, has anybody ever heard of the "Tell Me More" website for Arabic. They provide 600 hours of learning for $299.

Never heard of it but for that amount of money, I'd expect a pretty damned good program.
2 persons have voted this message useful

EricaRC
United States
Joined 4770 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 11 of 15
10 April 2011 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Here's the website for tellmemore:

http://www.tellmemorestore.com/TELL-ME-MORE-Arabic-Software- p/5-009-1234.htm

The program says that it teaches writing, reading, speaking and listening: its comes with a workbook to practice writing, has speech-recongnition to practice speaking, and is used by universities, companies, etc.

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6442 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 12 of 15
10 April 2011 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
EricaRC wrote:
Thanks everyone for answering my question :)

Isn't it hard to try to learn arabic on your own? I bought a textbook called "Alif
Baa (Intro to letters and sounds)" by Kristen Brustad and attempted to learn the
alphabet on my own. I got pretty far, too, but was reading on some websites that Arabic
was extremely difficult to learn on your own and that it's better to have a classroom
setting.

Which websites, if you remember? I don't think any independent website would simply say
'it's better' and leave it at that. I do understand many people are intimidated by the
script and perhaps a classroom environment can alleviate that, but on the whole,
independent learning is really the way to go, IMHO.

Quote:
     Is the textbook series by Brustad good to use? I think its made up of 5 or
6 books and is used in college classes. Can you recommend me any more textbooks (with
audio) or websites (with audio) that aren't too expensive, like no more than $50-60. Or
if it's really expensive, a very good site/textbook that can guarantee a basic speaking
and reading level.
    Also, has anybody ever heard of the "Tell Me More" website for Arabic. They provide
600 hours of learning for $299.

If you're trying to learn Arabic on the cheap, start with Alif Baa (or the Teach
Yourself or Living Language series), then get into authentic materials like
bbcarabic.com, aawsat.com, aljazeera.net, as soon as you can handle them. Learning to
use the Hans Wehr dictionary is also valuable, but it can wait until you're out of the
beginner stage. Do at least one authentic Arabic text or audio segment a day.

After you're comfortable reading and listening to MSA (might take 9 months to a year),
pick up some Levantine dialect books secondhand and head to Skype for speaking
practice.

Do this diligently and you'll be basically fluent in a year or year and a half.

That's all I got for ya, for now.

P.S.- Don't go for the software gimmicks.
4 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5624 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 13 of 15
10 April 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
If you decide decide to go ahead and buy Al-Kitaab fii Ta callum al-cArabiyya by Brustad et al you should wait till they bring out the 3rd edition due out in July this year. It seems there will be lots of new features, and also a companion website. However it will cost more than your budget. Take a look at the link:

http://press.georgetown.edu/book/al-kitaab/al-kitaab-fii-ta- callum-al-carabiyya

Edited by stelingo on 10 April 2011 at 1:36pm

EricaRC
United States
Joined 4770 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes

Message 14 of 15
10 April 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
For a degree requirement I have to have 2 years of a language class. So I think complete self-teaching is no longer an option. But if I use the Al-Kitaab books I can do my own studying outside of class, right?

Edited by EricaRC on 10 April 2011 at 6:26pm

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5603 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 15 of 15
10 April 2011 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Don't use Al-Kitaab. It's okay pedagogically, and it gives you large quantities of
helpful audio, but it's not systematic. My personal recommendation, if I were going to
learn Arabic again, would be to do the following.

1. Look up Prof. Arguelles' shadowing method and make sure you understand it.
2. Work through Linguaphone and the Elementary Standard Arabic Course (both available
fairly cheap if you just keep your eye on eBay) side by side, spending most of your
time shadowing and then doing scriptorium.
3. After a few months, start reviewing the grammar with the book, "All the Arabic You
Never Learned the First Time," or some other methodical grammar book.

Once you've done all that, come back and I will suggest some readers that are good
continuations of the above.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version