Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4938 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 1 of 5
09 April 2011 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
I did always like every Armenian thing. How is Armenian? Is it a hard tongue? I want to
know. Please help me.
1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6936 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 2 of 5
09 April 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Here's a brief summary of Armenian grammar in Portuguese:

http://www.hayeren.com.ar/hayeren/download/Sobre%20a%20Grama tica%20da%20Lingua%20Armenia%20-%20Armenian%20Grammar%20by%2 0Chake%20Ekizian_www_hayren_com_ar.pdf
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4938 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 3 of 5
10 April 2011 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Thank you, daristani! Are you Armenian or descent?

1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6936 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 4 of 5
10 April 2011 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Sorry, no, and I really don't know more than a very few polite phrases in Armenian. But I ran across the above book some time ago and somehow remembered it. The website it came from has various other resources for Armenian, but mostly in Spanish:

http.www.hayeren.com.ar/

Another website that offers a free Western Armenian course (in English) is this one:

http://www.armenianprelacy.org/index.php/departments/anec/an -online-course-in-modern-western-armenian

Boa sorte com os seus estudos do armenio!
2 persons have voted this message useful

David O.
Hexaglot
Armenia
Joined 4868 days ago

3 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Swedish, Finnish, Armenian, Estonian
Studies: Hungarian

Message 5 of 5
10 April 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Good to see that there are people out there interested in Armenian... I've been living
in Yerevan for the past few years, and I've certainly enjoyed learning the language.

I'd say the hardest thing about Armenian is the sound system. Armenian has lots of
consonant phonemes that English lacks, and from my experience, it certainly takes a
while to learn to hear the difference between an aspirated and an unaspirated "ch" or
"ts" sound. And the vocabulary is pretty alien... there are very few easily
recognizable cognates between Armenian and Romance or Germanic languages. In general,
it's a language characterized by long, consonant-rich words, which makes it pretty
exotic.

The grammar isn't easy, but I wouldn't call it particularly difficult either: no
grammatical gender, six noun cases, fairly flexible word order. The verb system has
some obvious similarities to that of the Romance languages, and shouldn't be too hard
to learn.

There's also considerable variation between dialects (not only Eastern/Western, but
within Armenia), as well as between spoken and written language. The gulf between the
formal written language and what I actually hear every day here in Yerevan is vast
indeed, in terms of both grammar and vocabulary.

Unfortunately, there aren't many good resources available for Armenian. But it's
definitely worth the effort.

Good luck/Boa sorte/Հաջողություն!

6 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version