lise26
France
Joined 4776 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: French*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 9
10 April 2011 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
What do you think about tools provided by websites where you can exchange languages? I
mean about the efficiency and the quality of the free lessons, podcasts, dictionaries,
classes, vocabulary cards, textual and vocal chats etc. I would like to get critical
opinions about those materials and your opinion about the more useful part of this
system, is it to talk to native speakers, to have the possibility to get texts corrected
by natives. I would be glad to get opinions of teachers or didacticians. I’m just a
student and a language lover who need to get a better understanding of the subject.
Thanks by advance.
1 person has voted this message useful

Keilan
Canada
Joined 4884 days ago

125 posts - 241 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 2 of 9
10 April 2011 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Hey Lise,

This depends pretty heavily on which free tools you're talking about, as a wide range of quality exists. For example, I find Anki to be a very high quality vocabulary program, Lang8 to be incredibly useful for getting texts corrected (useful for catching mistakes) and anything allowing you to chat with natives is invaluable.

On the other hand, some very pricy programs like Rosetta Stone are not (for many people) worth the money. If you find a free tool, I'd ask about it here for that specific tool. Because in general, the quality varies A LOT.

-Keilan
5 persons have voted this message useful

lise26
France
Joined 4776 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: French*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 3 of 9
10 April 2011 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Keilan wrote:
Hey Lise,

This depends pretty heavily on which free tools you're talking about, as a wide range
of quality exists. For example, I find Anki to be a very high quality vocabulary
program, Lang8 to be incredibly useful for getting texts corrected (useful for catching
mistakes) and anything allowing you to chat with natives is invaluable.

On the other hand, some very pricy programs like Rosetta Stone are not (for many
people) worth the money. If you find a free tool, I'd ask about it here for that
specific tool. Because in general, the quality varies A LOT.

-Keilan

I meant tools provided on websites like livemocha, polyglotte club, palabela, babbel..

JasonE
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4868 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 4 of 9
10 April 2011 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
I've been using busuu.com for a couple of weeks now and I've been enjoying it. It has introduced me to some
new vocabulary in a relatively painless manner. Yes, working hard on straight up word lists might be more
efficient, but there are times when you just want to sit back and learn in a more relaxed way. I should say that
I've tried Rosetta Stone but got rid of it. While busuu is similar, the lessons seem to go by faster, and collecting
those berries is oddly addictive.

The site has exercises for writing which will be corrected by those who speak your target language, but or course
quality of corrections will vary. Some people are quite good, and you're got to befriend those who are. Search out
people who speak your target language and are learning your own native language, and then add them as friend.
Correct their work and they should return the favor. Your writings are stored as well, so it would be helpful to
look back at them after some time has past to better understand the mistakes that you made.

The chat is also good at that site. I'd recommend it. You lose some of the audio clips once the free premium
membership runs out (after 7 days), but the most valuable materials are free.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lambinator
Diglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4776 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Thai
Studies: Indonesian, Tetum

Message 5 of 9
10 April 2011 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Busuu certainly is fun. I had not known of it before reading this thread. I registered just now and have already learnt some Portuguese, and earned a few batches of berries. Yes, they certainly are addictive.

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5293 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 6 of 9
10 April 2011 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
I've never used a site like busuu or lang8, although the former looks interesting, so
I'll have to check it out later.

I have found that free online courses produced by universities or government agencies are
usually of high quality. Two good examples I can think of are www.parla.cat and
www.icelandiconline.is.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 9
11 April 2011 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
My current language learning practices are heavily dependent on free sources on the internet - though not those mentioned above. I get a lot of relevant content from the many versions of Wikipedia and from the homepages of a number of scientific magazines, I get the rest by making Google searches, I listen to free internet TV and radio found through portals like wwiTV and I use Google translate to produce bilingual texts ... in short free sources on the internet are my main gateway to learning new languages.
4 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5060 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 8 of 9
11 April 2011 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
...in short free sources on the internet are my main gateway to learning new languages.

Same here. I use as many free sites as possible for my learning. It's not as convenient as using a course/book/program but can be very effective. You have to know how to pool together many diferent sources and how to search for what you need. I'm learning Portuguese right now and I have two online dictionaries, Brazilian novels in public domain, bilingual radionovelas (with text and audio), blogs with audio and text, audio books with text from librivox, regular skype exchange for conversation (the best resource), forums for writing, grammar exercises, podcasts with transcripts, multimedia exercises and multimedia books, youtube videos. There's a text to speech website that is quite good, at least for a few main languages.

There's a lot of stuff out there if you're a person who doesn't have to have a structured program. You can indeed do it. Drawbacks are: it can mean that you are tied to the computer and some people cannot tolerate that, you need to be somewhat tech savvy in order to download mp3s when there is no obvious link and create your own bilingual book from two different sources. It also helps to be able to search in your target language for grammar exercises. For many/most people that is just too much effort

What's out there, available and free, is absolutely amazing! You have to do some digging. It does take time and effort. You need to be comfortable with independent learning and know how to structure your learning in order to fully take advantage of free resources. It is not as "convenient" as using Assimil, TY, or In 3 Months. Free resources are what I mostly use in learning Portuguese and will be my main source when I next learn French. When I do, I''ll do it for free and on-line. The quality is good and the price is right.

Edited by iguanamon on 11 April 2011 at 2:36am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version