Lebanon
Joined 5404 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Esperanto, French*, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Japanese

Message 1 of 22
10 April 2011 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
Hey, I've just recently decided to study Sindarin and I was wondering why it isn't on the
list of this website? I see no reason, Sindarin is a complete language and one can reach
fluency in it.
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6173 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 22
10 April 2011 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
If a language is a small one and there is no one studying it, then it isn't likely to be on the list. You can PM the administrator to add it if you would like to add it to your language list.

Edited by newyorkeric on 10 April 2011 at 6:12am

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5323 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 3 of 22
18 April 2011 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
I requested that Sindarin and Quenya be added to the list a while back, but was informed that only languages that have dictionaries, grammar books and independent literature will be included.
3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6173 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 22
18 April 2011 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
davidwelsh wrote:
I requested that Sindarin and Quenya be added to the list a while back, but was informed that only languages that have dictionaries, grammar books and independent literature will be included.

Didn't know that. Thanks for telling us.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 22
30 April 2011 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
I know this was invented by JRR Tolkien, so that explains that it has no 'independent literature'; as I see it, that's not a major obstacle. But now, how can Sindarin/Quenya/whatever be called 'a complete language' without dictionaries, nor grammar references?

Or, are there such things?

Edited by mrwarper on 30 April 2011 at 10:47am

gambi
New Zealand
Joined 4903 days ago

37 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: Indonesian, Burmese

Message 6 of 22
30 April 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I know this was invented by JRR Tolkien, so that explains that it has no 'independent literature'; as I see it, that's not a major obstacle. But now, how can Sindarin/Quenya/whatever be called 'a complete language' without dictionaries, nor grammar references?

Or, are there such things?

Actually there are many small indigenous tribal languages spoken around the world in places like Papua New Guinea and Brazil which still do not have grammar references and dictionaries etc. So those people do not speak a 'complete language'?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 7 of 22
30 April 2011 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
gambi wrote:

Actually there are many small indigenous tribal languages spoken around the world in places like Papua New Guinea and Brazil which still do not have grammar references and dictionaries etc. So those people do not speak a 'complete language'?

Of course they do, please don't misread me.

Quenya etc., are invented, and thus they are used very little, if at all, in the real world. My question is, how can any of these artifacts be called 'a complete language' in the absence of real use AND a complete reference?

To further clarify: any language is as complete as its potential uses, be it via imitation of actual (written, spoken) use or produced from a set of constructors (grammar + vocabulary). Obviously one can be derived from the other, but without either of them, all you have is... some made up words :)

It is apparently quite clear that Tolkien's mind children are not used in real life, but to what lengths did he go to give a language reference? It has been demonstrated that Klingon is far from 'complete', for example.

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5241 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 8 of 22
30 April 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm not an expert on Tolkien, so those who are can feel free to expand upon/correct my remarks. But to take a stab at mrwarper's questions:

The situation of Tolkien's languages is an odd one: The Lord of the Rings and other books started as a way to give a history/mythology to languages he was already creating. His books contain snippets of the languages. His notebooks contain still more. Within his notebooks, there are even sketches of the different languages, sometimes in multiple versions. However, it is taking a long time to assemble, edit and publish the material in those notebooks, so we don't know exactly how complete they are.

While those in charge of Tolkien's notebooks are working their way through, afficianadoes of his work have compiled and revised their own grammars and dictionaries as information from the notebooks dribble out. They've also been writing their own poetry and more.

Studying Tolkien's languages is like studying dead languages of which fragments are preserved from different times and locations: There's enough material to sketch the grammar, to form a basic vocabulary and, interestingly, to revise our understanding and criticize previous scholarship as new fragments are found - i.e. new bits of the notebooks are published. Different from dead languages, we even know, with relative certainty, that fragments not yet found - published - remain and will one day be available to us.

At this point, to my mind, the justifications given for not including Quenya and Sindarin no longer hold. There is at least one (much criticized) dictionary for Quenya and Sindarin that has been in print for some time. For Quenya, there's a pretty good self-teaching manual and several grammar studies online. (Some of these, I think, can also be purchased in printed form.)

I will not make the argument as to whether Quenya and Sindarin deserve to be listed on the forum. But purely on the question of whether there are things to read and adequate study materials, I would rather study Quenya than Gaulish or Hittite any day of the week.

Edit/Update: For those interested in Quenya, the place to start is this self-teaching course (free for download):
http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/qcourse.htm

It will be noted that this is not a mere list of words and phrases with ad hoc translations; there is a grammar and a vocabulary and the course has been revised to align with the latest information to be released from Tolkien's notebooks.

Edited by BartoG on 30 April 2011 at 7:31pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version