Joined 4893 days ago

168 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Icelandic

Message 17 of 22
06 May 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
FrostBlast wrote:
I think the criteria for a language to be called "real" should be whether or not it has evolved on its own. Evolving is one of the main things languages do constantly.

Tolkien's languages have, as far as I can see. They have a surprisingly large community of enthusiasts, who stretch them further.

If that is indeed the case, then I think they should be considered to have a life of their own.

Also, can one make neologisms in either of those languages? For example, the Russian word for "airplane" is "самолет", which is a "made-up word" that basically means "it flies on its own." Can that be achieved in Tolkien's languages?
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 18 of 22
06 May 2011 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
FrostBlast wrote:
Volte wrote:
FrostBlast wrote:
I think the criteria for a language to be called "real" should be whether or not it has evolved on its own. Evolving is one of the main things languages do constantly.

Tolkien's languages have, as far as I can see. They have a surprisingly large community of enthusiasts, who stretch them further.

If that is indeed the case, then I think they should be considered to have a life of their own.

Also, can one make neologisms in either of those languages? For example, the Russian word for "airplane" is "самолет", which is a "made-up word" that basically means "it flies on its own." Can that be achieved in Tolkien's languages?

As others have said, the lexicons left by Tolkien himself are somewhat limited. I'd be amazed if creating neologisms wasn't a significant part of what people are doing when they want to actually write something new.

Conlangs tend to be quite rich in neologisms when they start being actually used by people who want to write new things, even before they have a fluent speaker community. I haven't looked at the communities of Tolkien's languages enough to verify that this is the case for them, but I'd be amazed if they were the exception to this.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5805 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 19 of 22
07 May 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
While conlanging is an interesting hobby (and I was myself noodling around with an idea for a conlang a couple of weeks back), it's a very different hobby from learning "normal" languages. It's not elitist to play golf at a golf club and tell footballers to play elsewhere, is it?

I have no problem with conlangs being left out here.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5805 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 21 of 22
07 May 2011 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
paranday wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

You don't serve Synthohol at your pub, mate?

I have a horrible feeling that'll turn out to be a genuine quote from a Klingon phrasebook.... ;-)

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 22 of 22
08 May 2011 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
While conlanging is an interesting hobby (and I was myself noodling around with an idea for a conlang a couple of weeks back), it's a very different hobby from learning "normal" languages. It's not elitist to play golf at a golf club and tell footballers to play elsewhere, is it?

In a word, no - it is not a very different hobby. Learning the largest conlangs is quite similar to learning a common living language. Learning smaller ones is somewhat comparable to making a serious study of poorly attributed dead languages, in my opinion - which is something several people here do.

Creating conlangs is an entirely different hobby, but that is not what anyone here has been talking about in this thread, before your post.

The rule of this forum, as I understand it, is that a language will be added if at least one person is making a serious study of it. There are multiple people here who care about Sindarin. I'm not one of them, but I still would prefer to see it added.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version