dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 129 of 271
03 June 2012 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Just a quick update to say that I finished Level 6 last night so I will be moving on
to level 7 today!

I'm pretty happy about this, as there have been times that I doubted I would get this
far. I'm under no illusions though, things should be starting to get pretty hard,
pretty Quick, and the units start to get much bigger. I'm bracing myself for unit 47!

I'm also making good progress on the Programmatic workbook. I haven't really ran into
any challenging material yet, but it won't be long. Looking through the contents, I
think they cover topics perhaps not touched upon by Plati.

I'm going to push myself through the two workbooks as I think it's about time I got a
better hold on the grammar.

I also looked at some former B1 test papers, and I think I could (just about) pass.
Maybe.

I actually think identifying and working on weaknesses would be a better tactic than
blindly pushing through courses at this point, but I really need to get Platiquemos
comfortably under my belt, which will still take a lot of work.

Edited by dbag on 03 June 2012 at 6:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 130 of 271
06 June 2012 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
I am well into unit 45 already. Somehow, it turned out that units 43 and 44 were
ridiculously easy. In fact, I only went through the units twice, because I was already
very familiar with the material.

I do however need to do the variation drill in unit 43 again.

Unit 45 is also pretty easy, but I'll probably do it a few more times.

I've already glanced at unit 47, and I see it has loads of massive response drills. I
hate response drills!!

I usually skip them, but this time it looks like I'm going to have to soldier through.

Even though I haven't been doing the conversation stimulus's for a while, I am
disappointed that they didn't record them past unit 43. I have no idea why. They now
have recorded readings of the basic sentences for the readings- I'm skipping these for
a little while, but I'll be back to them before the end.

Readings: Around Christmas, I did all the readings for level 5 and 6 several times, now
I think I need to make a start on those for level 7. I notice that lots of new vocab is
being introduced, and I don't want to miss out on it.

My goal, which I hope is realistic, is to finish Plati by the end of the month. I am
thinking that when I get to unit 50 or so, I will go back and do all the conversation
stimulus's and the unit or 2 on commands which I skipped. When I reach the end, I want
to know in my heart of hearts that I have covered a good 98% or so of the material.

Probably not the most efficient approach, but I been working on this for over a year
now, and it means a lot to me to do it right.

So, 2 goals for June really:

1)
Finish Platiquemos
2)
Finish FSI Programmatic workbooks 1 and 2.

It goes without saying that I will be trying to get as much quality input as possible
on top of this. Let's see how it goes...

Edited by dbag on 08 June 2012 at 11:47pm

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 131 of 271
07 June 2012 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
Okay, so tomorrow I am going to move on to the fabled Unit 47.
Unit 46 was definitely harder than the previous several, and the audio quality took a
turn for the worse. I run through the material with Platiquemos a couple times, then
remembered that Randomreview had left a comment somewhere saying that the audio for
this portion of the course, which can be found for free on the FSI site, had been
cleaned up and was significantly better.

It's true, it's much easier to use, so I ran through that a couple times as well.

There where actually several very easy drills on the flexibility of Spanish word order,
which I see no need to pay too much attention to.

However, there were some on comparisons of equality which were really tricky, because
they involve multiple tenses, irregular verbs etc. And the response times have
decreased. I feel pretty comfortable with the material, but I will need to go over it
again. At the minute, I'm just eager to move on to the more challenging units.

I'm actually pretty disappointed that there haven't been many multiple tenses drills
yet, I think lots of these as early as possible would be the way to go.

Also, still making good progress on the programmatic workbook. I have already filled up
an entire notebook. After these, I expect I will do the PMP books out of principle,
although I'm not too keen on the way they're laid out.

I've been scoping out some of the grammar books used to prepare for the various DELE
courses which are entirely in Spanish. I think it's important at this point to be
thinking of post- Platiquemos life.

I feel pretty good about my level of Spanish now, like I'm somehow much more competent
than I was only a couple of weeks ago- and this despite the fact that I haven't
actively used it in a while.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 132 of 271
08 June 2012 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Started unit 47, spent well over 3 and a half hours on it. Be under no illusions, this
unit is big and tough. Surprisingly though the audio quality has not been a problem.

The basic sentences build up is over half an hour long, but is split into two. So
today, I have been listening to the first half, as well as occasionally listening to
the "dialog for fluency" which is on a separate track.

There is a 15 minute drill which illustrates how to use the past subjunctive. I have
been repeating the first half, and will go onto the second tomorrow. The various
substitution drills have not been too much of a problem, but I've not hit the response
drills yet.

Based on time spent today, I reckon I need to spend another 6 or 7 hours before I can
move on. I want to be really comfortable with this material before I do.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 133 of 271
15 June 2012 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
I will be moving on to unit 48 tomorrow. I didn't work anywhere near hard enough on
Saturday, and found it hard to get into my stride with this unit.
I think I have the material down fairly well now, but I will need to come back
for review at some point. This unit is simply to big to continually sweep through.

I passively listened to some of 48 while having a nap- when I woke up, I listened to
some really easy drills on the conditional, which is a tense I already know quite well.
The only trouble is its another unit with a 30 minute sentence build up.

I wonder if my goal of finishing Platiquemos by the end of June is too optimistic? A
few more units like 47 and there's no way I'll make it.

In the last couple of days I've read about half of Carlos casteneda "Journey to Ixtlan"
in Spanish. I think this may be the first time I have read an adult book purely for
enjoyment- Sure, I'm still missing a lot of words, but I'm following the narrative and
enjoying it. It helps that I read the English a few years ago.

Edited by dbag on 15 June 2012 at 2:23pm

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 134 of 271
23 June 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I've been slacking of a bit on the FSI front of late. Still on unit 48, which is
actually quite an easy unit. I pretty much have it down, but certainly not overlearned
to the extent I like. I think I'm going to move on tomorrow, just to keep the ball
rolling.

I've nearly finished "viaje a Ixtlan" which I've been enjoying. I'm going to follow
Prof. As advice of only looking up "known unknowns", words which keep coming up and
you. know you don't know them, if that makes sense. I need to do this with
"cifra" and "rescate" soon. I find it very interesting that Prof. A has never done any
focused vocabulary work, no anki, no wordlists, just reading.

I am thinking of drastically changing my study habits once I finish FSI. I need to do
things differently to keep making progress and keep the passion their.

I continue to rue the fact that skype is not available on my tablet. For any one
reading this, I do not recommend getting a blackberry playbook! If I had of
known that I wasn't going to be able to skype on it I would never have brought it.

I should be taking an extended trip to Malayasia and surrounds in the next few weeks,
so the Spanish will probably be in maintenance mode during that time, perhaps just
doing some LR type stuff.

When I get back, if all goes well, I will make a break for B2, and will be preparing
to:

a)
Take a long trip to South America

And

B)
Find a way of living in Spain afterward, perhaps by doing a CELTA course.

Yep, I just need to get some Asia out of my system, and then, life permitting, it's
going to be all about Spanish!!

Edited by dbag on 23 June 2012 at 5:00pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 135 of 271
10 July 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Okay, so the playbook has had to be sent back to be repaired already. So that means that if I want to use the internet, I have to use this barely functional home computer. As such I think im going to take a break from the forum for a week or two. Im spending way to much time here anyway, and it feels like I stopped realy learning new things months ago.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks there will be some new reading material on here, and I will have finally finished fsi.

Ciao for now!

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4822 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 136 of 271
24 July 2012 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Okay, so I'm back after my two week "sabbatical". I'm glad I took a break, I feel that
constantly checking in on the forum can become a very unproductive habit, and much like
face-booking, is something that needs to be kept in check.

Well, I can't say I've made any progress on the Spanish front. I've not done any new
FSI for sometime, but I have revised a few of the earlier units. I've also wrote a
little on the lenguajero Facebook Page. A good tip actually, if you "like" a Spanish
Page on Facebook, you will receive updates in your newsfeed, which means you get to
read a little Spanish everyday.

I have also read several articles in "el pais".

I feel like I'm at a danger-point with my Spanish, I imagine many people drop out at
around this stage of learning a language. I feel like most courses available don't have
that much more for me to learn, but at the same time native material is enough of a
challenge
that's it's not really "fun".

I guess this is how marathon runners must feel about 10 miles in. Exhausted, and
daunted at the prospect of the long and painful road ahead.
I guess a change of tactics is needed, something new, but habit forming.

Edited by dbag on 07 August 2012 at 11:09pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 271 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version