United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 271
30 May 2011 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
@ Getreallanguage
I have just been watching your youtube channel, and I really must complement you on your near perfect English. It really is impressive!
I also like the videos where you walk around Buenos Aires. I cant wait to get back to a Spanish speaking country!

(edit) spelling (sorry, it was late!)

Edited by dbag on 31 May 2011 at 8:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5293 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 42 of 271
31 May 2011 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
@ Getreallanguage
I have just been watching your youtube channel, and I really must complement you on your near perfect English. It really is imperessive!
I also like the videos where you walk around Buenos Aires. I cant wait to get back to a Spanish speaking country!

Thank you very much. That is quite a compliment. I have been posting a lot more videos lately shot while walking around town.

You should come to Buenos Aires! Given the rate of exchange your British pounds will go a long way. There is a stereotype about rivalry and ill feelings towards British people but it isn't really true. People are generally nice to European tourists in Buenos Aires.

I will post that list of verb tense nomenclature sometime soon.

Edited by getreallanguage on 31 May 2011 at 3:49am

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 43 of 271
02 June 2011 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
So, I'm just about done with unit 5. I get about 99.9% of the respones correct, but im not as fast as Id like. If Id of studied the way id intended to on Sunday, I'd be on unit 6 by now.

I think Im going to have a last quick run through Unit 5 later, then push on. Il keep revisiting some of the drills throughout the week though.

I looked at most of the units in level 1, and despite my experience with other courses,it looks like Im going to be learning loads of new things, which is exciting. Whats more, Ill be learning them properly.

I really cant stress enough how much I wish Id started this course months ago. If you are just begining Spanish, but really are serious, I would say dont mess around, just get stuck in with both Assimil and Plati.

I will hopefully be spending a long weekend in Spain shortly, which is something to look forward to, and I would be very surprised if I didnt spend at least a month, in either South America or Spain in september.

So really Ive got 3 months to cram as much in as possible. I cant wait to get over there.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 44 of 271
03 June 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Messed around with the first half of unit 6 last couple of days. Very easy, all about conjugating AR verbs in the present tense. I suppose LSLC has given me lots of practice with this already.
Despite being able to answer correctly nearly 100% of the time, I dont think im "done" with these let.
I havent had as much time to study today as I would have liked. A colleague took me to work today, so I missed out on my study time in the car. Ive done maybe 35 minutes on plati and about the same on Assimil.

I dont feel satisfied unless I can do about 3 hours a day.

Il try and get some more done tonight.

Edited by dbag on 05 June 2011 at 11:22pm

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 45 of 271
10 June 2011 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
So I guess Im starting with unit 7. Ive listened to the basic sentences already in the car. Once again, I dont feel I have completly mastered the conversation stimulus of unit 6. Its not hard, but I find this section boring and slow in comparison to the drills.

I would say I have something of a handle on all of the material, but I cant recite it automactically like I can the drills. Ive had less drives for work this week, and some of the ones I have done have been with passengers, so I have had less time for plati than I would like.

I really feel that as the audio qaulity is not to great (and neither are the speakers in my car) that I am going to have to go through the unit with the transcipt a few times first. Otherwise, Im going to be spending ages per unit.

I have done loads of Assimil this week. Sometimes I will sit in front of the tv with it, and read lessons for an hour or more at a time. It doesnt feel like study.

I have read an article or two in my Spanish fishing magazine, and I find that I can really understand , well NEARLY all of it.I think the fact that I am very familiar with the subject matter means that I have a lot of contextual clues which I can use as a crutch.

Really, I am so impressed with Assimil. I have come so far with it in such a short time. Activly using this language is another thing entirely, but I guess thats where FSI comes in.

I am wondering whether to start a passive wave of Using Spanish when I finish the passive wave of with ease. I have had a good look through a copy someone lent me.

Im really not sure what to do. I have seen posts questioning whether or not Using takes you to c1. Well from reading some of the English sections of the book, I would say that the type of language it uses probably acords with a description of c1 ability.

It looks like it would would help one to distinguish between really fine shades of meaning. It is as advanced, in my opinion as one could possibly ever want, or need to be in any language.

It may be a better idea to get a solid grip of intermediate use of Spanish before getting bogged down in this kind of stuff. On the other hand, a lot of the content is easily comprehensible already, and the waves system does make picking this kind of thing up quite easy.

If anyone reading this has any advice, I would love to hear it!

Either way, I am ordering a copy and we will see what happens. I am going to bed, and am going to have cuentos infantilles on in the background all night.

Edited by dbag on 10 June 2011 at 1:25am

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5197 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 46 of 271
10 June 2011 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Hey dbag, keep up the good work. I thought quite a bit about which Assimil course to do after Spanish with Ease. I ended up taking a short break from Assimil (and did Living Language beyond the basics) and then I did a third wave (all active) of Spanish with Ease. I think it was incredibly valuable and I am very glad I did it before moving on to something else. I was going to do Using Spanish after the third wave, but decided to do Spanish Without Toil first (I am lucky to have Without Toil :). You may want to consider spending more time with With Ease or doing Without Toil... it is too early for me to tell how useful Without Toil will be after doing three waves of With Ease, but I really like it so far. Good luck. I will be following your log.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4844 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 47 of 271
13 June 2011 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
Hi James.
I have been keeping up with your log, it looks like things are going well for you! I will definetly do some work with without toil when I am done. I think I will also be reading at least some of with ease every day for a long time to come, as well as do at least one more active wave( although probably doing more than one lesson a day).
I dont think Il have a good handle on this material otherwise. I can see me getting into shadowing at some stage as well.

What level, in comparision to Assimil would you say the living language course is at?
I might check it out, Im quite eager to start listenening to some Latin American accents.

I have had quite a busy weekend. I have hit unit 7 of fsi hard. 2 hours + on friday eve, maybe 4 hours on Saturday and about 1 hr 40 today, as well as at least an hour of work with Assimil.
I will go to sleep listenening to with ease cd3.

I was tempted to move on unit 8 tomorrow, but I think im actually going to spend the day really overlearning unit 7.
I cant wait to get to unit 9, as it deals with haber, which is a verb I seem to struggle with a little. That will be unit 1 done, but I think I will do a quick revision of the whole level before moving on. It seems that building a strong foundation will provide rich dividends later on.

If I struggle with any drills I will write them down, so I know what to come back to.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5197 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 48 of 271
13 June 2011 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
I thought the Living Language Beyond the Basics dialogues were easier than the tougher Assimil dialogues. However, the LL dialogues are much longer so there is simply more to learn and understand in each dialogue. Also, there are many more notes, grammar points, exercises (real exercises) so doing a LL lession is much more work than doing an Assimil lesson. Also, Beyond the Basics is not a beginner course so the entire course is at a fairly high level. A few days ago I looked at the LL Ultimate-Advanced course and it looked similar to Beyond the Basics, but with many many more notes, grammar points and exercises. The audio quality, voices and accents on both LL courses are extremely good.

This discussion contains 271 messages over 34 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version