mrpootys
Groupie
United States
Joined 5392 days ago

62 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 12
12 April 2011 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
I was planning on traveling to Georgia next year, and was wondering what the major languages are spoken there. I
am planning on doing a study abroad there, but I wanted to also be able to interact with the community. Im not
sure how much English is spoken there. English is my native language, but I speak German and Russian. Im really
looking for firsthand knowledge and not internet figures, as I have found those to be highly misleading in the past.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5245 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 2 of 12
12 April 2011 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
I'm currently studying Georgian, and although I haven't been there yet (I'm going next month), I have heard and learned a little about the language situation there from Georgian friends and Georgian media. The following is what I've gathered.

Almost everyone speaks Georgian, first of all. I can vouch personally for the difficulty of this language, so you need to get started soon if you're planning to learn any! The alphabet, however, is easy to learn, and it will probably be useful for you to be able at least to read it.

Most people have some knowledge of Russian, and most middle-aged and elderly people speak it fluently. There doesn't seem to be the same resistance to speaking Russian as you find in Eastern Europe, so your Russian will help you a lot. Colloquial Georgian is also filled with Russian borrowings.

Younger people may be able to speak some English, but English is not in widespread use and not widely understood, especially outside Tbilisi.

If you can wait just over a month, I'll let you know what I actually see and hear in Georgia.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Wilco
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6111 days ago

160 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian

Message 3 of 12
12 April 2011 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
I can confirm what TixhiiDon said: if you don't have time to learn Georgian, Russian
would be the most useful choice, followed by English (in the capital). Anyway, make
sure to learn the script and basic greetings and phrases in the local language, as most
Georgian are quite proud of their cultural heritage.

It appeared to me that Russian language proficiency seems quite limited among some
young people, especially in the countryside (outside Tbilisi).

Economic relations with Turkey have increased a lot in the last few years, so I would
not be surprised if Turkish has become a popular second or third language in the south.
The country has also a relatively important Armenian community.

TixhiiDon wrote:

Interesting to see that some of us have enough courage to take on Georgian! How long
have you been studying it? How would you evaluate the difficulty of the language (in
terms of time to speak or read it "fluently")? And out of curiosity: are you going in
Georgia to study?

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5245 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian

Message 4 of 12
12 April 2011 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Wilco wrote:
Interesting to see that some of us have enough courage to take on Georgian! How long have you been studying it? How would you evaluate the difficulty of the language (in terms of time to speak or read it "fluently")? And out of curiosity: are you going in Georgia to study?

Just briefly, so as not to derail the thread, I've been studying Georgian for about a year and a half, and out of the languages I've ever learned I would probably rate it second in difficulty to Japanese. The verbs in particular cause all kinds of problems, and seem to become more and more difficult the more one studies.

I'm going to Georgia just for a week to do a bit of sightseeing and try out my Georgian. When were you there?

Edited by TixhiiDon on 12 April 2011 at 6:27am

shawns
Diglot
United States
Joined 5075 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 5 of 12
12 April 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
I was in Georgia last summer. I'll echo the answers for the most part. Most everyone speaks Georgian. Most people
that grew up during the Soviet period speak Russian to some degree. In Tbilisi, some younger people, those under
25, might know some English. In the western part of the country, particularly around Batumi, some people know
Turkish in addition to Georgian. In the southern part of the country there are areas with large Armenian populations,
so Armenian is spoken. I'd say that if you learn some basic Georgian phrases, you can get by with those and your
knowledge of Russian and Georgian. It goes a long way if you can say some basic things in Georgian.

mrpootys
Groupie
United States
Joined 5392 days ago

62 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 6 of 12
12 April 2011 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your responses. I am actually going there to study Georgian.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4837 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 7 of 12
13 April 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Tixhidon, where did you see resistance to speaking Russian language?        &nb sp;         

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5262 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 8 of 12
14 April 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
The best foreign language (foreign to the Georgians) to use with Georgians is Russian. Many people know it
(I'm not going to say everybody, because that would be an overstatement), but you will find that most people
will switch to Russian nonchalantly as if it's no big deal. Georgians know that their language is hard, and they
don't expect you to know any, but if you let out a "Gamarjobat" or a "Madlobt" once in a while, they'll
appreciate it. Saying that only people who lived in the Soviet era can speak Russian is incorrect. My Georgian
friend is 16, and she says that almost everybody she knows, young or old, can speak Russian to a fairly good
level. She says that there are some people who can speak English really well, but you'd be much better off with
Russian.

Edited by ruskivyetr on 14 April 2011 at 12:10am

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version