FDppkaul
Groupie
Norfolk Island
Joined 5001 days ago

36 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 12
15 April 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm really interested again in the Georgian language (studied it for some months, but never reached a good level on it. I just know the alphabet and some basic phrases, basic verb conjugations, pronouns and so on). As i imagine, the only book that English speakers can use for it is the Dodona Kizira's one. However, this book doesn't has everything i need, because it contains many things that someone doesn't urgently needs to know when learning a language (for example, i still barely know how to ask the age of someone or how to tell my own age!) So, i would like to ask: it's really more worth going deep first into Russian, if you want to have access to Georgian speakers? I say so, because i also study Russian, however i can't speak it either... i have a strong interest in Georgian, but due to the lack of resources and the language's difficulty, i guess it's better to master Russian first...
1 person has voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6076 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 10 of 12
16 April 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
I'm not so sure you need a knowledge of Russian to pursue Georgian. It would probably help, but as far as I know there aren't a great deal of resources in Russian anyway. Most of the resources I'm familiar with (and I've asked about this before) seem to be in German and English. I daresay even just with English you could get pretty good in the language.

olhazar
Pentaglot
Croatia
Joined 5487 days ago

13 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Italian
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Georgian, Kurdish, Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 12
17 April 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
mrpootys wrote:
I was planning on traveling to Georgia next year, and was wondering what the major languages are spoken there. I
am planning on doing a study abroad there, but I wanted to also be able to interact with the community. Im not
sure how much English is spoken there. English is my native language, but I speak German and Russian. Im really
looking for firsthand knowledge and not internet figures, as I have found those to be highly misleading in the past.

Hi, it's great that you speak Russian. I speak Russian and I am learning Georgian. Georgian script is beautiful and easy, but you have to put more effort into grammar.

I was in Georgia last summer. You can hear Turkish in Batumi, on the south. Svan dialect of georgian is spoken in the mountain area of Svaneti. I visited Pankisi area on the border of Chechnya where Chechens or Kists live. Some older people there don't speak russian at all.

olhazar
Pentaglot
Croatia
Joined 5487 days ago

13 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Italian
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Georgian, Kurdish, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 12
17 April 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
FDppkaul wrote:
I'm really interested again in the Georgian language (studied it for some months, but never reached a good level on it. I just know the alphabet and some basic phrases, basic verb conjugations, pronouns and so on). As i imagine, the only book that English speakers can use for it is the Dodona Kizira's one. However, this book doesn't has everything i need, because it contains many things that someone doesn't urgently needs to know when learning a language (for example, i still barely know how to ask the age of someone or how to tell my own age!) So, i would like to ask: it's really more worth going deep first into Russian, if you want to have access to Georgian speakers? I say so, because i also study Russian, however i can't speak it either... i have a strong interest in Georgian, but due to the lack of resources and the language's difficulty, i guess it's better to master Russian first...

There is a great grammar bok by professor Hewitt. You can download it here:

http://gruzinskij.ru/uchebniki.html

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version