Netherlands
Joined 4886 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Iraqi)*

Message 9 of 15
13 April 2011 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Woodpecker wrote:
Desertbandit wrote:

I am so sick of this myth , Arabs themself use MSA when they meet an other Arab who
has an extremly different dialect , and communication goes just fine, the idea that you
''are'' speaking Arabic even tough not the same dialect is impressive by it self , and
people will respect you for it non the less , and Arabs are also prepared to talk MSA
to you if they realize you speak only MSA. Seriously nobody cares if you do not speak
their dialect the fact is that you can speak Arabic and thats what counts.

I have yet to meet an Arab who wasn't a language instructor and could speak MSA. Most
Arabs will claim that their dialect is very close to MSA, closer than any of the
others, and that they can switch easily. And in most cases, it's a load of nonsense. To
communicate effectively with Arabs you must learn a dialect.

Lets ask the biggest communication instrument in the middle east.

''Hey there Media''
''Hey there Desertbandit''
''Oh great Media, who talks to everyone in the middle east on a daily basis, what Dialect do you mainly talk in?'
''Silly Desertbandit , I speak in MSA so that all the Arabic speaking people can understand me''

So really, the biggest communication tool in the world uses MSA and people in the Media are professionals when it comes to effective communication. And you dare to claim that you need a dialect to communicate with Arabs?

Also I suspect that you do not know so much Arabs nor ever been to the middle east .

On top of that, I knew a non native Arab...who learned MSA ...he understood me just fine and I understood him perfectly .

''YOU MUST LEARN A DIALECT TO COMMUNICATE WITH ARABS'' is a big myth that needs to be stopped. .

hrhenry wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:
To
communicate effectively with Arabs you must learn a dialect.

I know next to nothing about the various dialects of Arabic, but back when I was in college, I had a roommate from UAE, born in Jordan. There were many other Arab students, ranging from Lebanon, to Egypt, and one from Morocco. They all would regularly get together for meals and even invite me to join them once in a while - absolutely fantastic food. Anyway, they weren't communicating in English. I wonder what they were using to communicate? They all understood each other from what i could tell.

R.
==

Exactly

Edited by Desertbandit on 13 April 2011 at 10:17pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5597 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 10 of 15
13 April 2011 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Also I suspect that you do not know so much Arabs nor ever been to the middle
east .

I lived in Egypt for a year, and I've spoken to many Arabs from other countries, most
of them education working professionals. I have yet to meet one who was comfortable
speaking MSA. Sure, if I spoke it, they could understand what I was saying, but they
couldn't respond in MSA.

The Media wrote:
I speak in MSA so that all the Arabic speaking people can understand
me

This is exactly my point. Everyone understands MSA, and nobody other than broadcast
journalists, shiekhs at al-Azhar, and Arabic instructors speak it. Communication is a
two-way street. If you want to understand what Arabs are saying to you, you must learn
a dialect, more specifically, the dialect of the people you want to talk to. To tell
the original poster that he can just take classes in Sudanese and then cruise around
North Africa or Iraq understanding completely everything everyone is saying is simply
absurd.

hrhenry, communication between Arabs from different countries is pretty complicated. My
Egyptian friends tell me they can't really understand people from the Maghreb most of
the time, while the dialects closer to Egypt don't pose much of a problem. In general,
as I understand it, they just speak their own dialect while leaving out things that are
excessively colloquial. I also have been told that actually learning to speak another
dialect isn't all that hard if you live in the country where it's spoken for a while,
especially if you're a native speaker.
3 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6930 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 11 of 15
13 April 2011 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I don't know enough about the degree of knowledge of standard Arabic among Arabs of different nationalities or educational levels to comment, but in reading the above comments, I was reminded of a similar discussion on the forum of a certain Uzbek site-that-must-not-be-named several months ago. Here's a lengthy quote from one knowledgeable (but non-Arab) observer ("binmashish") based on his own experiences:
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------

The only country in which all subjects including medicine and engineering are taught consistently in Arabic only and not in colonial languages is Syria. I've noticed that a lot of learners who go to Syria for a year gain much better mastery of MSA than those who go elsewhere. In contrast, Lebanon, with all of its wonderful bookstores, is not a good place to learn Arabic these days. You can live and die in Beyrut without knowing any Arabic. But in Syria, even people from humble circumstances speak good MSA and can read classical texts on the spot. This makes for more linguistic awareness, which is always a good thing. So, only in Syria (and perhaps to some extent in Iraq pre-war, or in Saudi for different reasons) is there a widespread lucid understanding about standard vs. dialect. In other parts of the Arab world, differences between MSA and the dialect are becoming blurry.

One reason for this: A lot of upper class people in Arabic-speaking countries are very insecure about MSA and more at ease speaking English (or French). Most of them don't see a good foundation in Arabic as prestigious or relevant at all, and many will even speak English with their children! One example is the current king of Jordan, whose formal Arabic was quite bad when he made his first public appearances. Now he's improved his act, but this is just one person. Another famous figure whose formal Arabic, surprisingly, was not very good was Edward Said. The implications of this are far-reaching and they severely impact the preservation of the rich classical heritage, which is becoming neglected by schools, especially the non-religious literature. A lot of classical literature is about sex and real life of upper classes, which makes uptight readers uncomfortable (hence, a huge part of the classical literature is banned in Saudi Arabia). Many schools for the poor only teach the Qur'an and the Hadith when it comes to the older literary tradition, making the young generations insecure about writing Arabic in general.

A particularly disturbing anecdote was told by an acquaintance of mine, who spent a summer in Malta taking some classes. There were a lot of other Arabic speakers around, but speakers of different dialects (sociologically, upper and upper-middle class) did not know how to communicate with each other. Instead of using a modified Egyptian-Levantine combination, familiar to all of them from movies, or a modified standard Arabic (those are two historical possibilities always practiced before the colonial period), they all spoke English with each other. She herself felt slightly ashamed as she was telling me this.

A big problem is also the internet: this is where the linguistic insecurities of many people really come to light, and many prefer writing a cliched mixture of English and colloquial. Moroccans and Algerians especially are more comfortable writing French anyway.

Now to dialects: I usually speak a modified MSA, adopting the most egregious forms from the dialect (when in Egypt, I will say dilwati, hanshuf etc). Usually that goes over quite well and it is the expected linguistic form from a foreigner anyway. But my long term goal is to learn a couple of dialects really well so that I can use all the linguistic registers. Be aware, however, of this problem: dialect usage will open the hearts of the rural and the poor, but many middle-class people will actually respect you less if you use a lot of dialect! They will often think that you DON'T know MSA, that you're just fooling around, that you're unsophisticated... This attitude is paradoxical, but it reflects their own fears about being recognized as rural, uneducated, etc.

Yet there is also certain pride taken in dialect, especially in Egypt and Morocco. As you probably know, in Egypt there are also more attempts to use the dialect in the written form than elsewhere (with historical precedents, but especially mid-century). This has earned the Egyptians some mockery and a cliche that most of them can't speak MSA, which is unfair and only partially justified. I find the developments of the 20th c. exciting, but I also hope that MSA is not lost in the process. I would like Egypt to once again develop a rich literary scene, as in the 1950s, but with more creativity concerning the dialect as well. There is tremendous potential for linguistic and artistic expression in Morocco with the three major varieties of Berber, the Moroccan darija, MSA...but in many bookstores, you will only find books in French. This is saddening.

I've noticed that my understanding particularly of North African Arabic varies tremendously, and I was relieved when on one occasion, traveling in rural Tunisia, urban Tunisians also had difficulties understanding some local speakers. Yet, some elderly people whom I met in Morocco and who went on the hajj told me that after a while it was becoming easy for them to communicate with Saudi Arabic speakers even though their MSA was not good. I also find that the longer I study Arabic, the more I perceive the similarities between dialects and a certain internal logic which they share comes to fore.

ADD: The situation concerning the teaching of dialects outside of the Arab world is pretty horrible. There are very few schools even teaching the basics of any dialect, let alone more advanced levels. In the US, 99% of all classes are MSA. In Germany, France and the UK, there are a few schools which offer dialect classes, but not on a completely regular basis. The unfortunate presupposition is that once you're in the Arab world, you'll just soak it in.

In the Arab world itself, the situation is better. AUC and AUB offer dialect classes. It is also possible to study the dialects in Morocco and Syria. But often those classes are too expensive and too basic.

ADD 2: I forgot to mention that many Palestinians also have a sophisticated level of understanding of different registers of Arabic. This comes from a heightened sense of urgency in preserving their folklore. Many Palestinians in the diaspora are also exposed to different kinds of Arabic (Gulf, Tunisia, Egypt) which makes them quicker to switch between them than other Arabic speakers. Also, I think it is helpful linguistically for many of them to know Hebrew, which exposes them to thinking about Semitic languages as a group.

ADD 3: Few people know about this, but Yemen is a fantastic area linguistically, with many different local dialects. I assume that the knowledge of MSA must be good there. I can't wait to travel there and would be happy even to live there for a while.

I'd be happy if other learners and speakers of Arabic share their views.
8 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4916 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 12 of 15
14 April 2011 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Woodpecker wrote:

hrhenry, communication between Arabs from different countries is pretty complicated. My
Egyptian friends tell me they can't really understand people from the Maghreb most of
the time, while the dialects closer to Egypt don't pose much of a problem. In general,
as I understand it, they just speak their own dialect while leaving out things that are
excessively colloquial. I also have been told that actually learning to speak another
dialect isn't all that hard if you live in the country where it's spoken for a while,
especially if you're a native speaker.

My point was that there is obviously a middle ground of some sort that everyone understands and can appropriately respond to. Call that Modified Standard Arabic or Standard Arabic. It doesn't matter. People can communicate with it and it's not as "complicated" as you're making it to be.

Out of curiosity, how do you suppose all these broadcasters learned Modern Standard Arabic - which nobody speaks?

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

Desertbandit
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4886 days ago

80 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Iraqi)*

Message 13 of 15
14 April 2011 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Thanks Daristani .

But what is all the Heisa about , I can communicate with almost all Arabs , and im not
some kind of MSA jedi master call it modified MSA if you want to , and yes I can even
communicate with Maghreb Arabs . the only Arabic I have a slight problem with is
Egpytian, but thats do-able to .

Next to that Poverty in Egypt is quite high you know, education amongst Egyptians might
be quite low , also Egpyt gives a bit of a blurry view of ARabic in the ARabic world,
because Egypt's Arabic is considerd different than almost all the other Arabics by most
Arabs...but allot of them speak Egpytian because of Egpyts huge presence in the Media.

AND espechially in NOrth ARfica...people tend to watch their MSA more because they know
they can communicate better with the middle east, because north African dialects could
have big differences also in North Africa they tend to educate their childeren so that
they are able to read the Quran, ive noticed that with north African Immigrants to .

In the middle east, MSA is integrated in society and language , it has to come to them
naturally.

With MSA you can get far, and im sure of it allot of them can respond to you in MSA.

and I truly believe you can even get far with SUdanese Arabic.

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5597 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 14 of 15
15 April 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:

My point was that there is obviously a middle ground of some sort that everyone
understands and can appropriately respond to. Call that Modified Standard Arabic or
Standard Arabic. It doesn't matter. People can communicate with it and it's not as
"complicated" as you're making it to be.

Modern Standard Arabic is a specific form of Arabic, and it's not the one that Arabs
use in these situations. Find me an Arab who declines while speaking or uses classical
verb forms and I'll send you a fiver. They don't exist. I'm not speculating about this,
I really have spent a lot of time in the Middle East. It is complicated--as the post
above notes, depending on the speakers, there will probably be some mixing of Levantine
and Egyptian grammar, with a reasonable amount of MSA vocabulary used in place of
regional terms. As far as newscasters go, they are given accent training and are
usually reading from a script. It's far easier to read MSA than produce it
conversationally.

As far as the original poster goes, I think I've made my feelings on this matter pretty
clear. As the only one posting in this thread who's actually learned Arabic from
scratch, just taking Sudani classes is not going to get the O.P. to the level he wants
to reach. I'm going to leave this to the birds now.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6058 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 15 of 15
15 April 2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
I went to Arabic evening classes for a time some years back. There were three teachers,
one after another - a Palestinian, an Algerian and lastly (the longest-lasting one) a
Sudanese. The first two more or less used MSA though their pronunciation seemed affected
by their dialects, while the Sudanese used Sudanese colloquial, which seems like Egyptian
in some ways. He issued extensive hand-outs and was the best of the three teachers.

The first two were also more interested in Arabic writing, while the Sudanese focused on
conversational Arabic (which is presumably why he used his own dialect).

Edited by William Camden on 15 April 2011 at 1:49pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version