Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5809 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 24
13 April 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
I tend to compare language books to crisp packets.

In the UK, most brands traditionally used the following convention

Plain (salted): Dark blue and red
Salt & vinegar: Light blue
Cheese & onion: Green

But then Walkers became big and they use a different colour scheme

Plain (salted): Red
Salt & vinegar: Green
Cheese & onion: Mid-blue

It jarred with me for years. Cheese and onion should be green!
Anyway, I used to get a similar reaction to language materials that weren't coloured according to the convention I was used to, which was:

French: Royal blue (with red and white)
Italian: Green (with red and white)
Spanish: Red and yellow

The reason I got over it was probably the Gaelic. The "big four" (German, French, Italian and Spanish) are coloured according to their flags, and Gaelic doesn't have a flag. All the stuff I bought was different colours.

Thinking about it, the colour coding by flag colour seems to be something most popular among people who sell to schools. Maybe schools like having a neat system like that, which makes it easy to find the appropriate materials quickly.

But if you go into a bookshop, everything's sorted by language, so you don't need the colour to navigate. People like TY and Colloquial use colour as part of their brand, in order to stick out, and that probably means more sales.
1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5133 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 10 of 24
13 April 2011 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Is "lingvo internacia" greener?

Barely, only the v is green. But at least it's less yellow than Esperanto. ;-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5564 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 24
14 April 2011 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
... yesterday when I was bored I started the phonology drills of FSI Yoruba and had to find out that the reason why I can tell apart b and gb is because their b sounds blue-ish green and their gb more like a muddy, reddish ochre.

William Camden wrote:
I like Langenscheidt products but don't like the ghastly yellow covers they usually have.

They turn 'somewhat dark letters on light grey with a yellow undertone' with use. And maybe some cappuccino.

Edited by Bao on 14 April 2011 at 5:51am

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6747 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 12 of 24
14 April 2011 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
You can add me to the list of non-synaesthetes who associate a color with each language
and mentally resist published works that don't adhere to their color scheme.

Most of my colors are based on flags, so have been mentioned by others a few times
here. However, few publishers seem to agree with my assessment of German as blue (my
university German classroom had blue carpeting, and the textbooks had blue covers and
blue headings in the text) and Japanese as green (in my early days of learning
Japanese, I watched a video about the Shinto religion which showed dense, secluded
mountain forests and described how the Japanese used to revere nature.)

I use these colors to help me separate the languages in my mind. For example, while I'm
speaking German, I purposefully envision in my mind that the world as well as my words
are blue (I'll also think the words 'Ich will' or something simple like that to help me
switch gears). If I need to suddenly switch to Japanese, I'll switch the color in my
mind to green and think "私はすごく" or some other few words, and it keeps me from mixing
them up. Also, I make liberal use of the cloze deletion feature in Anki, but the
default color this feature uses for deleted text is blue. This drives me crazy and I
have to replace it with the color of my current language to make sure that the
appropriate word in that language, and only that language comes to mind.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 14 April 2011 at 3:49am

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5223 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 13 of 24
14 April 2011 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Interestingly enough, I make a lot of similar associations myself! Maybe it's associated
with the countries flags, though I don't know many other them well
Spanish - Orangeish yellow
Italian: Red
French: Blue
Korean: blue-green
German: orange-blue
Romanian+Hausa: Mauve
Indonesian: Light green

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 24
15 April 2011 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
I've always associated languages with colors but those have changed quite recently.

Before, it was blue for English, red for French, no color for my native Czech.

Now, it is still no color for Czech but English kind of lost it's color as well. That doesn't mean I speak as a native, understand everything and not write any mistakes, I just got used to reading in it and communicating on internet with it so that it doesn't feel foreign to me anymore.

As I started learning Spanish, it immediately got the red for itself, so it seems like French has been moving to the blue during last few years. (I don't like orange so I cannot associate it with any of my languages). I've got German on my hitlist but cannot choose whether it's green or black. But there is one more color I really like. Violet. Maybe I should put another language on my list for it. :-D

Lucky Charm's post is interesting, as he purposefully envisions the colors. For me, it works the opposite way. I hear something in Spanish, and I "feel" it red, perhaps as a reminder "this is foreign".

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version