Diglot
Japan
Joined 5564 days ago

249 posts - 493 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Italian

Message 9 of 22
14 April 2011 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
I'm not the first person to write an overview of the Japanese language, but I tried to make mine shorter than everything else.

Quote:
An Incredibly Broad Overview of Japanese Grammar

General
1. Japanese uses Subject-Object-Verb sentence structure (I the apple ate)
2. Japanese uses explicit grammar called particles. Particles assign grammatical function (subject, topic, object, location, etc.) to various words
3. Particles are postpositions (they attach to the end of the word)
4. The simplest Japanese sentence is just a verb. Explicit subjects are not required.

Verbs:
5. There are two categories (conjugations) of verbs
6. There are only 5 irregular verbs (to do, to come, to go, to be, to be - see #7)
7. The word "to be" is broken into three words based on meaning: 1) equality (copula), 2) existence of animate and living objects, 3) existence of all other objects
8. A small number of verbs require a completely different word for politeness. These verbs consist of a semi-irregular third conjugation (this is advanced Japanese)

9. Verbs can conjugate for meaning and politeness separately
10. Verbs do not agree with subject or number ("I go", "he goes", "they go" are all the same in Japanese)
11. Most conjugations are formed by altering the verb ending rather than using auxiliary verbs
12. Japanese lacks an explicit future tense
13. Japanese often distinguishes between transitive and intransitive (think English's "rise" (intransitive) and "raise" (transitive)), and many verbs come in pairs
14. Verbs can attach directly to nouns like adjectives (relative clauses)

Adjectives:
15. Japanese has two types of adjectives (i-adj. and na-adj.)
16. i-adj. can conjugate and can attach directly to nouns or can act like verbs and never require the copula "to be"
17. na-adj. require the copula "to be" to conjugate or attach to nouns with 'na' and many even double as nouns.

Nouns:
18. Nouns have no number (no singular/plural) and no articles (a/the)
19. Nouns do not decline

Adverbs:
20. Most adverbs are created from i-adj. and na-adj. through conjugation or particles

I left out things like the writing system and pronunciation to focus on grammar, but the writing system is not anywhere near as complex as many people (including native speakers) would have you believe. Kanji, when considered individually, are not difficult; their study is simply time consuming.
7 persons have voted this message useful

yourvietnamese
Singapore
yourvietnamese.com
Joined 4761 days ago

9 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English

Message 10 of 22
14 April 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
I'm beginning to learn Japanese, mainly for my programming work on language processing.

I think Japanese is quite a complex language when it comes to grammar. Writing is fine: as there is a direct mapping from writing to pronunciation.

And I guess it'd be really difficult to express ideas in the "Japanese way": they just don't compose the meaning the way we compose in English.

So, it's definitely a nice language to learn, esp. to appreciate the variety, if not complexity, in their way of expressing ideas.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gon-no-suke
Triglot
Japan
Joined 6215 days ago

156 posts - 191 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: Korean, Malay, Swahili

Message 11 of 22
14 April 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
My 2 sen:

Learn hiragana first, don't bother with romaji. The grammar is much more consistent and easier to learn using hiragana.

Don't worry that much about katakana, you will pick it up soon since there is a lot of feed-back from foreign loan words. Do notice the helpful similarities between hiragana and katakana though: しシ つツ かカ ほホ きキ のノ

Learn the verb conjugations first and get used to speaking using verbs only. Don't use pronouns unless for emphasis.

Focus on plain verb forms, you will be able to construct the polite form easily when necessary.

Practice using the progressive form of verbs. This form is very common but was not emphasized enough in the textbooks I used.

Noun modification by verb phrases is very common, learn to use this pattern at an early stage.

Learn the auxillary verbs by heart, especially the helper auxillary verbs since they will enrich your Japanese.

Learn kanji word-wise, not in isolation. Learn the correct stroke order from the beginning.

Don't worry about word order as long as the verb is last. Due to the particles word order is very flexible and not necessary SOV.

Summing up, it's all about the verbs!

Edited by Gon-no-suke on 14 April 2011 at 12:57pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

eguru
India
Joined 4754 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 22
14 April 2011 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
I would learn hiragana and katakana immediately and use it from the beginning. Romaji can be good when looking up dictionaries and kanji readings would be written in romaji rather than hiragana or katakana as that will make it easier and faster to just use reference materials.

One "mistake" that I did with the Japanese language was that I didn't believe I could learn it, especially the kanji part. I kept postponing the kanji learning until I felt that I can't move forward without them. So, I think it is important to start learning kanji from the beginning. The best way to learn kanji is learning words and reading.
If you have a visual memory (like me) and like reading, the script would play an important role.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Delaunay
Pentaglot
Hungary
Joined 4770 days ago

16 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: German, Hungarian*, English, Japanese, Dutch
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 22
14 April 2011 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
I think Go-no-suke just wrote the most useful advices ever, so follow them for sure.

To add my two cents, I would emphasise the importance of kanji. They seriously help, and whenever I was at a business meeting with Japanese people, and didn't understand a word they said, I asked them to write it's kanji, and it helped every time! Because there are many verbs in Japanese whose pronounciation is exactly the same, you can specify which one you were referring to.

Learning relevant kanji is also a great idea as far as I'm concerned. If you notice you use a verb all the time, it might be a good idea to learn its kanji.

I also think that the first thing any Japanese student should do is reviewing the whole verb conjugation table. There aren't that many forms, and it will clear a lot of confusion.

And finally, learn about the culture. It's really important, as you need to know when to use what form, and you can't do that without understanding the Japanese social rules.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 14 of 22
14 April 2011 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
ericspinelli wrote:
1. Japanese uses Subject-Object-Verb sentence structure (I the apple ate)

I'd remove "the".

1 person has voted this message useful

cntrational
Triglot
Groupie
India
Joined 4908 days ago

49 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Telugu, English*
Studies: French

Message 15 of 22
14 April 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm surprised nobody has recommended Heisig's Remembering the Kanji yet.

http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/publications/miscPublications/Rem embering_the_Kanji_1.htm

Download a sample there, remember to read the introduction.

Edited by cntrational on 14 April 2011 at 10:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6730 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 16 of 22
15 April 2011 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
Delaunay wrote:
Learning relevant kanji is also a great idea as far as I'm concerned.
If you notice you use a verb all the time, it might be a good idea to learn its kanji.

I agree, except you have to be careful not to learn irrelevant kanji that have been
obsolete since around WW2. For example, you might notice that you use ある all the time
(one of the "to be" verbs that ericspinelli mentioned) and want to look up the kanji
for
it, and a dictionary will give you 有る and 在る and 或る but won't tell you that they're
used extremely rarely, and that everyone just writes ある in hiragana. There are many
common words like this whose kanji are hardly ever used. I would recommend learning a
kanji if you notice you use the word all the time AND if you've seen it written in
kanji
before.

Arekkusu wrote:
ericspinelli wrote:
1. Japanese uses Subject-Object-Verb sentence
structure (I the apple ate)

I'd remove "the".

And "I" as well, in order to be consistent with the advice given in other posts. The
only necessary elements in this sentence are "apple (direct object marker) ate", unless
we really need to emphasize who.

Gon-no-suke wrote:
Focus on plain verb forms, you will be able to construct the polite
form easily when necessary.

I really like this advice. Every textbook and course I've seen does it the other way
around, teaching the polite form first because it's the one you're likely to use more
often (as a tourist, businessman, or someone just asking directions from a stranger).
However, it's easier to construct the polite form once you know the plain form than the
other way around, and you'll be able to use a dictionary, understand product labels and
song lyrics, and most things on the web. In short, if you need to speak right away, go
for polite form first, but otherwise I recommend plain form first.

Edited by Lucky Charms on 15 April 2011 at 5:25am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version