Message 18 of 22
15 April 2011 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
Lucky Charms wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
ericspinelli wrote:
1. Japanese uses Subject-Object-Verb sentence
structure (I the apple ate)

I'd remove "the".

And "I" as well, in order to be consistent with the advice given in other posts. The
only necessary elements in this sentence are "apple (direct object marker) ate", unless we really need to emphasize who.

While neither of your points are inaccurate, I chose what I did to simplify as well as to isolate. Point 1 touches only on basic and standard word order and I feel changing the order of a valid English sentence accomplishes that goal the best. The issue of subjects and articles are broached in following points.

The goal of the piece is to introduce Japanese to English speakers, covering the major differences one by one. I wasn't seeking elegant solutions that make sense to Japanese speakers.

Speaking of elegant solutions, however, I wish when I started learning Japanese that somebody had told me the language can be divided into verbals (verbs, i-adjectives, and the copula) and everything else. Knowing that verbs and adjectives don't differ in function helps clear up a number of things like relative clauses and nominalizers. I'd take it a step further and explain to learners that な is also a verbal. If you can grasp all that, most of the language reduces to mastering particles and vocabulary.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Lightning
Groupie
United Kingdom
livelanguagelove.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5124 days ago

58 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 20 of 22
17 April 2011 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
Learn words not kanji.

I wasted many hours learning individual Kanji to realise it would suit me more to just study words and learn the Kanji I encounter in the words. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5836 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 21 of 22
17 April 2011 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
Lightning wrote:
Learn words not kanji.

I wasted many hours learning individual Kanji to realise it would suit me more to just study words and learn the Kanji I encounter in the words. :-)

This is exactly what I'm doing. However, I am at an advantage because I already have studied Chinese. I could imagine that for a totally new person to characters, it could be overwhelming, but I believe it is the best way. No pain no gain. I couldn't imagine remembering meaningless lists of kanji and all of their readings...seems like a huge waste of time to me.

Edited by irrationale on 17 April 2011 at 12:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Tropi
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 5217 days ago

67 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 22 of 22
17 April 2011 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Lightning wrote:
Learn words not kanji.

I wasted many hours learning individual Kanji to realise it would suit me more to just study words and learn
the Kanji I encounter in the words. :-)

Same here. This is also the main reason why I don't like Heisig's approach to kanji/hanzi.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version