Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 1 of 6
13 April 2011 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=QE0MtENfOMU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=zfaEGU45lKA

I had no idea English used to be like that. That's awesome.

Edited by Thantophobia on 13 April 2011 at 10:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5488 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 2 of 6
13 April 2011 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Here's something from the BBC about the history of English:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interactive/timelines/language_ timeline/index_embed.shtml
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5793 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 3 of 6
14 April 2011 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Here's something from the BBC about the history of English:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interactive/timelines/language_ timeline/index_embed.shtml

It's great, especially the audio documents :). My comprehension of the oldest texts is virtually nil (I wonder if it's the same for native speakers of nordic languages :). But 1066 is a huge step towards the modern language. Shakespearian English is moderately hard to decipher. The 1490 text is very readable (introduction of the printing press by William Caxton) and everything that follows is also easy.

Edited by Sennin on 14 April 2011 at 12:13pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
14 April 2011 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
I can just about follow the Anglosaxon speech in some of those Youtube clips when the original text is on the screen, and I can barely understand Beowulf when I have either an English or the Icelandic translation beside it, that's all. Not too impressive, actually.

However the really interesting thing would be whether a native Icelandic OR a Frisian speaker with knowledge of Modern English could understand those clips or read the old manuscripts, - though my guess is that it would take some effort even for people with that background.

Someday in the future I might want to learn Old English, Old High German and Gothic, but I don't believe that it is something you can do in a flash. It took courses of two hours for one semester each to learn Old French and Old Occitan, and then only as passive languages. Old English won't be easier.

Edited by Iversen on 14 April 2011 at 12:23pm

christian
United States
Joined 5009 days ago

111 posts - 135 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, German

Message 5 of 6
16 April 2011 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Even though I may not know exactly what it's saying, I get this unearthly feeling of connection and understanding. That's creepy.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5240 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 6
16 April 2011 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
The first video is actually Middle English (hence the title). Middle English comes AFTER the Norman invasion,
which brought the French influence into the language. Notice how you can recognize a bunch of words in the
first one, whereas in the second one it's nearly impossible. To give more perspective, Early Modern English
(Shakespeare's language) comes AFTER Middle English. Old English came way before the Norman invasion of
1066 (i.e. the Romanticization of the English language), therefore making it vastly different from Middle
English.

It goes like this

Old English (second video) > 1066, the Normans come, English becomes Romanticized (is that correct to
say?)> Middle English (the first video) > Early Modern English (Shakespeare)> Modern English (our language
today :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version