Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5131 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 1 of 4
13 April 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
An Italian edition of a new youth catechism has been recalled due to of a translation error that suggested Catholic couples could use contraception.

The German original read:

Quote:
Darf ein christliches Ehepaar Empfängnisregelung betreiben?
Ja, ein christliches Ehepaar darf und soll verantwortlich mit der Gabe, Leben schenken zu dürfen, umgehen.

The Italian translation read:

Quote:
Può una coppia cristiana fare ricorso ai metodi anticoncezionali?
Sì, un coppia cristiana può e deve essere responsabile nella sua facoltà di poter donare la vita.

Of course, the Vatican is not happy about this.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 2 of 4
16 April 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
I'm not familiar with the word "Empfängnisregelung" – does it not mean "birth control"? Otherwise the two versions seem to be saying pretty much the same thing...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5131 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 4
17 April 2011 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
I'm not familiar with the word "Empfängnisregelung" – does it not mean "birth control"? Otherwise the two versions seem to be saying pretty much the same thing...
To be honest, I wasn't familiar with it either. It's seems to be "Church German" for "natural" birth control methods such as the calendar-based methods. But since Germans usually use "Empfängnisverhütung" for contraception and moreover the Catholic position regarding birth control is well-known, the translator shouldn't have made this mistake. .

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 4 of 4
17 April 2011 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Ah ha, I see... I guess that would make a significant difference after all! It's hearing about things like this that make me glad I went into the translation field. I don't think real human translators are going to become obsolete any time soon, when there are issues this particular and context-dependent that arise from simple word choice.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version