Sin_Nombre
United States
Joined 4917 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 41
14 April 2011 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Recently, I had a short conversation with the popular Italian polyglot Luca, who speaks (if memory serves) about 8-9 languages with good accent. According to him, it is better to translate Assimil from L2 -> L1 and then from L1 -> L2, which would negate the need for Passive and Active waves. I was wondering what the opinion of this strategy was on the board. He refer to this as full circle, and has written rather extensively about this strategy elsewhere. Your thoughts?
2 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5832 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 2 of 41
15 April 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
You mean to start translating between L1 and L2 from the beginning?

This is how I learn languages now. I just translate a lot (thousands) of sentences with audio back and forth between L1 and L2, all in Anki, starting from simple and moving on. They come from various sources, I haven't used Assimil to do it yet, but I could. It works fantastically for me, but I'm sure not for everyone. I basically ignore the grammar.

Is this what you are referring to?

Edited by irrationale on 15 April 2011 at 12:24am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5163 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 3 of 41
15 April 2011 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
Let's say you take a sentence from L2. If you understand what it means, and you can close
the book and say the sentence from memory, with relative ease, as if you were using it in
real life, what exactly would be the advantage of translating it into L1 and then back
into L2? It seems to me that all this can be done orally without needing to translate it
back and forth.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sin_Nombre
United States
Joined 4917 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 4 of 41
15 April 2011 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
I believe it works more like this:

http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/part-one-an-easy-way-to- learn-foreign-languages/

http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/an-easy-way-to-learn-for eign-languages-part-two/

Though I'm still not entirely sure about the idea.
1 person has voted this message useful

IansDad
United States
Joined 5496 days ago

28 posts - 41 votes
Studies: French, English

Message 5 of 41
15 April 2011 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
I've been wondering about this method too.

Not waiting 50 days (lesson 50) until you start trying to recall the language you are learning seems smart. Why wait???
1 person has voted this message useful

AndrewW
United States
Joined 4789 days ago

29 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 41
15 April 2011 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
If you posted a thread asking, "How do you use Assimil?", I'd bet you would get pages of different methods. That's
part of the brilliance of the series. And let's be honest - with their instructions, you almost have to make up some
of it as you go!

The fifty days is arbitrary to some degree, and I don't think there is anything wrong with adjusting the "method" to
fit what you want it to be. I think most would recommend that, actually. But, quicker isn't better! Part of the idea
behind the active vs. passive wave is that by the time you begin the active phase, you've had significant exposure to
the language and you see all the previous material in that context. Grammar that you didn't recognize before has
been reinforced over several episodes, and those notes mean more than they did before.

If you're doing lesson 1 on day one, and then on day five you're doing lesson 5 + active wave of lesson 1, you're
absolutely not accomplishing the same thing.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5793 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 41
15 April 2011 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
L2->L1 is a passive way of working.

I'm not keen on passive stuff anyway, for one simple reason: understanding does not require 100% accuracy. Production does.

12 persons have voted this message useful

IansDad
United States
Joined 5496 days ago

28 posts - 41 votes
Studies: French, English

Message 8 of 41
15 April 2011 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Here is an interesting Wikipedia entry (look at the pdfs in the Reference section).

It would seem that the "testing effect" (active phase) is very important.

"In his 1932 book Psychology of Study, Prof. C. A. Mace said "On the matter of sheer repetitive drill there is another principle of the highest importance: Active repetition is very much more effective than passive repetition. ... there are two ways of introducing further repetitions. We may re-read this list: this is passive repetition. We may recall it to mind without reference to the text before forgetting has begun: this is active repetition. It has been found that when acts of reading and acts of recall alternate, ie when every reading is followed by an attempt to recall the items, the efficiency of learning and retention is enormously enhanced."[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testing_effect

http://psych.wustl.edu/memory/Roddy%20article%20PDF%27s/Roed iger%20&%20Karpicke%20%282006%29%20Review.pdf

Edited by IansDad on 15 April 2011 at 4:03pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version