United States
Joined 5603 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*
Studies: Portuguese, Italian, French
Studies: German

Message 1 of 8
15 April 2011 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
I bought "Teach Yourself Hindi Conversation" off the Audible.com website and it didn't have a link to a digital copy of
the book that should accompany it.

I did find a link to it by searching on Google here:

http://download.audible.com/product_related_docs/BK_HODD_000 015.zip

It has the conversations transliterated and translated in it.

Personally, I want to see the conversations written out so I don't have to back track a bunch of times on the audio.

1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6941 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 2 of 8
15 April 2011 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
I just downloaded a copy of the booklet. It is a separate download to the audio. I don't have the audio.

I have downloaded a number of Teach Yourself Conversational languages from audible. You will find the booklet download on the same page you find the course details. You can download the booklets without paying for the audio. That way you can check out what the conversations will be before you buy.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5603 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 

Message 3 of 8
15 April 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged 

Ok, there actually is a link on the page to download the booklet.
I just didn't see it because it's at the bottom in small print.

http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B0032N4OQI

...where it says:
"This audiobook also comes with a free booklet to accompany the course which you can
download by clicking on this link: Free booklet "

I'm so happy because the dialogs are getting more complex and on my morning walk I kept
backtracking on the audio thinking it would be so much easier to go over it in print
after hearing it to really digest it.

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5074 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 4 of 8
09 May 2011 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
What did you think of the program itself? I have the TY "Get Started In Hindi", and even though I'm in India, sometimes I need things where I can 'check in' on the conversation... eavesdropping can be fun, especially picking up a word or two, but having some targeted conversations could be useful.

What are your thoughts on the TY Hindi Conversation programme?

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5603 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 

Message 5 of 8
13 May 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
I think for learning any language it's essential to have plenty of audio with a transcript and
translation.

When used with the booklet I'd say it's an essential tool. Its basically like Assiml: L-R for Hindi.
Without the booklet, however, even though grammar points are explained in the audio I found the
conversations going way over my head.

aru-aru
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 6252 days ago

244 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, Russian

Message 6 of 8
13 May 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
I did most of it without the booklet. Otherwise, I think, it just becomes a scripted audio, no more than that. And it sems to have been meant to be more.

Of course listening to the dialogue one-two times it will be hard to get all of it, but that's OK. I kept on going through vocabulary tracks followed by the dialogue, until my brain managed to make it all out, word by word, clear on every bit (OK, except some food items). Getting the gist was always quite fast and easy.

If you just use it as an audio with transcript, well, all the other, non all-audio TY Hindi courses can work like that. Unlike this one, all you can do with the other books is work with texts. Here, you get to work on actual listening step by step.

I do believe that the whole point for the "Teach Yourself Hindi Conversation" is to work on listening comprehension. And by that I mean something other than just listening to a certain text you've read in a book untill you've heard it hundred times and recognize every bit. I mean actual figuring it out just by ear.

For me, the booklet was for when re-listening again and again failed.

Though yeah, that bit about the wife (forgot the name) complaining she did not get to see the Taj at night was a bit too difficult, but all the other parts - very much doable.

A good audio course, in my opinion.

ChiaBrain
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5603 days ago

402 posts - 512 votes 

Message 7 of 8
13 May 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I feel like I need text so I can break it down and analyze it.
Then when I re-listen the audio it cements the relation to the text.
Otherwise I end up rewinding over and over again trying to pick out words, very annoying.

Maybe it works better if you already have a good base in the language.
I had only finished the first 1/3rd of the Beginner course when I started the Conversation course.
I decided to finish the Beginner course first.

I do get your point about trying to listen to it first without the transcript, though.

Edited by ChiaBrain on 13 May 2011 at 10:16pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 8 of 8
18 June 2011 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I first used TY Hindi, got stuck around chapter 7, and picked up the conversation set.
The conversation set improved my confidence with sentence building, and I was able to
progress to about chapter 9 of TY Hindi. Again I got stuck, so I bought TY Beginner's
Hindi (now Get started in Hindi), worked the whole way through it, and was able to get
up to about chapter 11 in TY Hindi. It is a really tough language for me!

By the way, Rupert Snell has recorded a bunch of podcasts covering vocabulary in TY
Hindi:

http://hindiurduflagship.org/resources/learning-teaching/glo ssaries-alive/

The same site also has more advanced "Spoken Thesaurus" podcasts, in which he discusses
vocabulary around a specific topic.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version