ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 57 of 64
12 July 2012 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Matematik wrote:
I think that Assimil is way too expensive for what it is.

I mean, you get a Textbook and 4 CDs of a similar quality to Teach Yourself, which can
cost a quater of what an Assimil course costs.

I'm not saying Assimil courses aren't good, but clearing Assimil as a company is all
about maximizing profits.

It seems reasonably priced to me - around £60 for a book and audio, and they can often
be found cheaper on Amazon sellers, Book Depository, etc.. For the amount it teaches
you, it's miles better value than far more expensive materials like Pimsleur and
Rosetta Stone; even a half-year of language classes would cost more and probably teach
far less. However I've never used Teach Yourself so I can't compare them. The fact
that TY courses are available in every bookshop yet Assimil is fairly obscure and
unheard-of outside of this forum does suggest that TY are a much bigger company and so
have greater economies of scale and can sell more cheaply.

Edited by garyb on 12 July 2012 at 4:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 58 of 64
12 July 2012 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Assimil is way better than TY in terms of a couple things though:

- more audio
- audio has no English; so two hours of "audio" for TY is actually 30 minutes; for
Assimil it's actually what it claims to be, plus I have mp3 versions meaning I can
listen to the files everywhere
- do not only treat typical travel/holiday topics but also other elements
- introduce grammar very well (although I would always supplement Assimil with a full-
blown grammar - f.e. I have Oxford's Russian grammar)
- divide work into easy bite-sized chunks. I can do a TY Unit in a day, but that means
I have to spend hours on it and not understand everything, or I need to spread it out
(and then I still lack audio and grammar practice). Assimil has much more logical
pacing, plus you get a second wave which is what you need to solidify the early
knowledge later on. It's a repetition round (like for Iversen's wordlists).

The real reason is that of course Assimil is French-based, and thus they'll require a
lot of translators.

I have used TY Russian and Assimil Russian extensively (almost finished both books) and
I prefer Assimil by a long long shot (I have L'Hébreu sans peine too which looks good,
but I have not had the occasion to use it yet).
4 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5346 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 59 of 64
12 July 2012 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
I was shocked to work out recently that for every 5 minutes of audio on Oxford's Take
Off in German course, 30 seconds was native material and the rest was either English
introduction or repeated sentences of the 30 seconds. You don't get that with Assimil!
4 persons have voted this message useful

brunilda
United States
Joined 4838 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 60 of 64
13 July 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Assimil is better than TY, I agree with tarvos, for the reasons expounded above. The content of TY courses is not very interesting, and I prefer Assimil because it's method is much more sound (it seems to me) for fun and successful self-study. I have worked with TY Russian, Icelandic, Irish, Sanskrit, so I have a fairly good basis for comparison: I could not finish a single one of them. My Russian is extremely poor, my Irish almost non-existent, my Icelandic and Sanskrit non-existent. I speak Norwegian, which I learned with Assimil, and I could not wait to finish the book, that is how good it is. I am currently doing Greek and Turkish with ASSIMIL, and even though the dialogues are not as fun, it is not a chore to go through the units.
Full disclosure: I wrote two conversation guides for ASSIMIL, and work occasionally proofing their books. However, I am trying to be as objective as I can.
1 person has voted this message useful

brunilda
United States
Joined 4838 days ago

4 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 61 of 64
13 July 2012 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Oops! "its" method!!! OUCH!

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5564 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 62 of 64
14 July 2012 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Ooof....I edit my typos and errors out afterwards (that's why almost all my posts are
edited). If I left them in and corrected them explicitly like you do I'd look so
stupid! But that's only because I make lots. :-)

Edit: case in point (I swear not on purpose)!

Edited by Random review on 14 July 2012 at 5:02am

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5564 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 63 of 64
14 July 2012 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
Matematik wrote:
I think that Assimil is way too expensive for what it is.

I mean, you get a Textbook and 4 CDs of a similar quality to Teach Yourself, which can cost a quater of what an Assimil course costs.

I'm not saying Assimil courses aren't good, but clearing Assimil as a company is all
about maximizing profits.

I'm sure I've seen this before in another thread, with almost the exact same wording.
Unfortunately half an hour with google hasn't enabled me to find it, so maybe I'm just going mad.

Edit: found it! here The wording is not (as I remembered) almost exactly the same, but it's pretty similar. There were quite a few convincing rebuttals of this point of view that Assimil is too expensive given there.

COF wrote:
Assimil is absurdly expensive for what it is. I mean, the actual
production costs can't be much more than a Teach Yourself or Colloquial course, and yet they charge up to three times the price for one. Total greed I think.

Edited by Random review on 14 July 2012 at 4:55am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 64 of 64
10 June 2014 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Bumping this, because I think it's an interesting thread, and I think that folks must
have new ones to add in the two years since the last post. And because I have some to
add!

Very good: Italian with Ease. I'm currently on Lesson 66. It doesn't have the
humor of French with Ease, or the strangeness of Spanish with Ease. But it has a nice
pace, and isn't too complicated. I'd recommend it.

Mixed: Le Turc and Le Grec ancien. I liked both, but hit a wall on
lesson 35 of the Turkish and lesson 66 of the Greek. They just got too hard after a
point - there was too much new grammar, and it became more and more difficult to
correlate the TL with the translations. Part of this might be that the base level is in
French and that adds to the difficulty for me. I think both of these really require
outside resources, or prior experience with the language, to finish.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version