Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

6 Week Challenge in May?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
220 messages over 28 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 27 28 Next >>
JNetto
Groupie
United States
verbumpopuli.blogspoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4741 days ago

43 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC1

Message 89 of 220
30 April 2011 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
Dude! That's not fair! :) The Asians are getting up to 12 hours of advantage over some
people. What about setting the time as the first hour of May 1st whenever and wherever it
may happen?!?! (the truth is I can barely control myself!! It has been like waiting at
the door of a store for that product you want so bad at the morning of black Friday!!!)
hahahahaha

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 90 of 220
30 April 2011 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
JNetto wrote:
Dude! That's not fair! :) The Asians are getting up to 12 hours of
advantage over some
people. What about setting the time as the first hour of May 1st whenever and wherever it
may happen?!?! (the truth is I can barely control myself!! It has been like waiting at
the door of a store for that product you want so bad at the morning of black Friday!!!)
hahahahaha

Don't worry, you also get to keep going until midnight on the last day, so you know what
Asian scores to beat ;-) I think it works out well. Otherwise some people would get less
daylight hours than others.

JNetto
Groupie
United States
Joined 4741 days ago

43 posts - 60 votes 

Message 91 of 220
30 April 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
JNetto wrote:
Dude! That's not fair! :) The Asians are getting
up to 12 hours of
advantage over some
people. What about setting the time as the first hour of May 1st whenever and wherever
it
hahahahaha

Don't worry, you also get to keep going until midnight on the last day, so you know
what
Asian scores to beat ;-) I think it works out well. Otherwise some people would get
less
daylight hours than others.

It makes sense! In this case I shall remain calm 'till I shall be summoned to battle!!!
:) (Darn it! There is still 11h37min ahead!!!)

JNetto
Groupie
United States
Joined 4741 days ago

43 posts - 60 votes 

Message 92 of 220
30 April 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Question: It was mentioned that if we watch a movie in which the subtitles or the
original language is our target language we should post a percentage of it and not the
whole time since it wasn't 100% focus on that language. So, should we account for which
percentage? (On my opinion it should be 50%, but I want to know from the Challenge
Moderator)

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 93 of 220
30 April 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
50% sounds fair, because in a movie your focus is never entirely on the language. Less
than 50% if you find yourself ignoring the target language in favor of the other language
in the movie. It happens easily if the other language is one you know well. For optimal
learning, watch a movie with audio & subtitles both in your target language.

2_Journey
United States
Joined 4783 days ago

32 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 94 of 220
30 April 2011 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Well, I officially just signed up for Twitter, and I think I sorted out how to use the bot. I'm 2_J_L on twitter, which I plan to use exclusively for learning languages.

I have all my Spanish materials and am excited to get started. Wooo!

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4750 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 95 of 220
30 April 2011 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Hey there! I'm in too, if it isn't too late ;-)
I'll be studying Portuguese with "Português XXI" - absolute beginner. I just had two lessons: In the first my teacher and I discussed about the reasons I want to learn that language. In the second we discussed about the book we're going to use.
I follow the bot already @Twitter, but I don't know if I understood everything about posting. I'll go over it again. :-)

Edit: The other "part-time" will be Russian at A1-level...

Edited by Mae on 30 April 2011 at 10:43pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 96 of 220
30 April 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
In the registration, #part-time means how much you have to do for work / school at the
moment, i. e. someone declaring #full-time is expected to have less free time to study
languages than someone declaring #part-time or #free even.

You can only declare one target language, so you have to decide if Portuguese or
Russian is more important to you. You can of course work on both, and more if you want,
and track
it all on Twitter, but the nature of the challenge is such that you will want to study
your declared target language more often.

EDIT: If anyone needs to confirm if they're signed up, just check the list at
http://6wc.learnlangs.com/ . More than 50 people now. To make it easier, you
can sort by name, by language, by score etc., just click on the column header.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 30 April 2011 at 10:54pm

This discussion contains 220 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version